* TEXAS Cruisers *

fun and breezes 2

We just got back from our seven night cruise aboard the Celebrity Summit and had a fantastic time. We had wonderful tablemates, the ship was beautiful, the ports were great and the entertainment was top notch. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Dominica. I had heard that there was nothing there but we hired a local tour guide who took us up into the jungle and showed us some of the less touristy areas. It is beautiful there and the air is so clean.

My husband had been home less than five minutes when he was on the computer looking at the websites for cruise deals. We are playing with the idea of trying another cruise line (variety is the spice of life!) but are afraid that we will be unhappy since we love Celebrity so much. Has that happened to anyone else? We would probably love any cruise line and it might be nice to not be the youngest people on the ship who aren't cruising with their parents!

We just got back from our seven night cruise aboard the Celebrity Summit and had a fantastic time. We had wonderful tablemates, the ship was beautiful, the ports were great and the entertainment was top notch. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Dominica. I had heard that there was nothing there but we hired a local tour guide who took us up into the jungle and showed us some of the less touristy areas. It is beautiful there and the air is so clean.

My husband had been home less than five minutes when he was on the computer looking at the websites for cruise deals. We are playing with the idea of trying another cruise line (variety is the spice of life!) but are afraid that we will be unhappy since we love Celebrity so much. Has that happened to anyone else? We would probably love any cruise line and it might be nice to not be the youngest people on the ship who aren't cruising with their parents!

So glad you had an awesome time - I can hardly wait for my turn. In response to your question about trying a new cruise line - DH and myself have done that and were dissappointed. We are faithful CCL cruisers - being Platinum and since we met on a CCL cruise - its always been our favorite. We have tried RCCL 2x and although the ship was beautiful and spectacular - we were dissappointed. It seems that we were the youngest on the ship (and certainly not traveling with our parents) and they seem to "pull the sidewalks in" at 5:00pm. It's risky to try something new; but like you said "spice", etc.

I have never tried Celebrity; but would love to someday. It's kind of hard to give up the few Platinum perks we get from CCL. We are older than you (44) me, and (47) DH; but think in our minds that we are still (25) and enjoy the youth on CCL. Good Luck with your decision and hope my HO helped. Chick.

Yeah!! Sounds like you had an experience hard to match even on another Celebrity ship. I leave Saturday on my cruise, any words of wisdom to pass on from the ports you visited.

There are differences between the lines so IMO whenever you go in with a preconceived expectation it never compares. That happens to me anyway. My advice would be if you do try another line, hold expectations low so you aren't upset with the experience.

Karen

well I have been on Princess, Carnival, and Celebrity. I love princess. Always have fun on Carnival and enjoyed the service on Celebrity. Celebrity is promoting a scrapbook activity on their ships across the board. It was well organized on the connie and they supplied all the materials. Absolutely loved it. I found the people that cruise on celebrity are more open and friendlier than most ships. Sure can't beat the service. Love several things about Celebrity but did not like walking by the pool in the morning and seeing everyone asleep in the lounge chairs. I did think that at 9 pm the whole ship turned in for the night.

I have been to Dominica and love the lush beauty there. We got home on the 17th of April and had tons of mail from cruise lines. LOL. Hubby joked and said, "we need to plan a cruise. Haven't been on one for a while."

Galveston needs to get more ships. The cruises are a bit higher out of that port than the east coast. I do wish I lived near a port. I do much more cruising. Or at least I would beg the hubby for more.

Happy sailing for those leaving soon.

Has anyone here been on an Alaska cruise? Who did you cruise with? I think I've heard that Princess is supposed to do the best job of Alaska but that might just be the travel channel's opinion! Is it true that the average age tends to be much older?

It is true that Celebrity does not have much of a night life. The shows are fantastic but after they are over, there isn't much to do besides go to the "dance club" to watch the same two couples dance and have a good time. We are usually so tired at that point that we turn in and don't mind the absence of night life. I think I really like Celebrity because I want:

1. Fantastic Food

2. Live music in intimate venues

3. Beautiful ships

4. Great service.

I'm so busy most of the time that I like the idea of relaxing in luxury for a week so I guess the more sedate pace of Celebrity suits me. I can see where it would turn some people off.

I'm intrigued with the Princess ships as they seem to have a lot more options. The Diamond Princess does Alaska cruises and it looks like a great ship. I love the idea of movies under the stars!

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone here been on an Alaska cruise? Who did you cruise with? I think I've heard that Princess is supposed to do the best job of Alaska but that might just be the travel channel's opinion! Is it true that the average age tends to be much older?

It is true that Celebrity does not have much of a night life. The shows are fantastic but after they are over, there isn't much to do besides go to the "dance club" to watch the same two couples dance and have a good time. We are usually so tired at that point that we turn in and don't mind the absence of night life. I think I really like Celebrity because I want:

1. Fantastic Food

2. Live music in intimate venues

3. Beautiful ships

4. Great service.

I'm so busy most of the time that I like the idea of relaxing in luxury for a week so I guess the more sedate pace of Celebrity suits me. I can see where it would turn some people off.

I'm intrigued with the Princess ships as they seem to have a lot more options. The Diamond Princess does Alaska cruises and it looks like a great ship. I love the idea of movies under the stars!

I am back home and can't wait for the next cruise! We had such a great time. The back to back was wonderful but what I really would like is a B2B2B!

Mkschles, I have been on an Alaska cruise on the Carnival Spirit. The wildlife that you will see is just phenomenal. The scenery is beautiful. What I really liked that Carnival did was they had a naturalist on board. This person watched out from the bridge, and would come on the ships sound system and tell you when there was something she spotted for you to see. I would not have seen even half of the things I saw if she hadn't been there. When there were whales, she would tell you were to look, what type they were and add some trivia about the species. When there were sea otters, eagles, bears, or what ever it was she did the same, and it added so much more to our experience. I heard Princess has a naturalist on their ships also.

The age group was older, but we went during May when kids were still in school. If you went June, July, or August I would think the age demographics would be younger. I would choose August as a last choice because of something we were told on the cruise. The salmon swim back to Alaska to spawn and die. We were told that by August there are a lot of rotting fish, and it will smell different because of that. I haven't been to see what they were talking about, but it did impress a thought to be aware of in August.

One other thing to think about is the weather. You may not be out on deck as much because of the rain and cold. Balconies are excellent because of the privacy but still allowing you to view Alaska. We like having breakfast on the balcony as we would sail by floating icebergs and otters and whales. We will be going again this September on the Golden Princess. Princess has some really good deals to Alaska right now, and we just couldn't pass them up.

Karen

Karen - glad you had an awesome time! Good for you.

Here is a funny that I heard on the radio this morning and thought most Texans would definitely appreciate - especially us down here on the Coast.

There will be a 25% increase in births this June in Houston. Can you guess why? IKE!

Totally cracked me up - take A/C and TV away from folks (17 days for us) and guess what happens. Just a fun little fact to know and tell.

Hope everyone is having a great day. Bye for now.

Chick.

Hey everybody, my wife and I live in Round Rock. We just bought a house. I have cruised 3 times before and we just booked a cruise over Thanksgiving leaving out of Ft Lauderdale going to the Southern Caribbean. We cruised on the Conquest last year for our Honeymoon and loved that ship.

• 2 weeks later...
and I am sooooooooooooo outta here. Sorry to rub it in; but I can hardly wait!

This time 2 weeks I'll be sipping cocktail of choice on the Lido Deck! Just call me Caribbean Crystal!

Chick.

No need for apologies. 10 days to go!!!! And 2 weeks at sea.....how glorious!!

When do you start packing? Have you started laying things out yet?

Karen

No need for apologies. 10 days to go!!!! And 2 weeks at sea.....how glorious!!

When do you start packing? Have you started laying things out yet?

Karen

Hey Karen - As much as I dream of a B2B - I am only going to be on a 7 day cruise.

What I meant to say was this time IN 2 weeks.................oh well - we can dream, huh?

I will start laying out outfits this weekend and do final last minute shopping. I went yesterday and totally splurged on 2 new formal beaded gowns. We always go way over the top on what I still call FORMAL nights. I have quite a few gowns; but just tired of them.

I got great deals - and I get quite a bit of wear out of them. Mardi Gras Balls, New Year's Eve, and of course, cruising. I JUST WENT FOR IT! I thought the selection would be pretty grim since it's prom season; but believe it our not - I lucked out. Only had to have one alteration on one of the gowns, hemming.

Chick.

I don't go to as many formals outside of cruising as you do. I use to go to at least 4 a year, but now it's just on cruises. I started going for a different look with my cruise formals. Now I get outfits that don't take up room in the luggage. How do you pack your dresses and DH's s tux/suit? Do you have a method? I always have such a time trying to pack in a way to prevent wrinkling.

Karen

I don't go to as many formals outside of cruising as you do. I use to go to at least 4 a year, but now it's just on cruises. I started going for a different look with my cruise formals. Now I get outfits that don't take up room in the luggage. How do you pack your dresses and DH's s tux/suit? Do you have a method? I always have such a time trying to pack in a way to prevent wrinkling.

Karen

No special way of packing. We don't use a garment bag - we just gently lay the tux or my dress on the very top of everything else and use the garment safety straps to keep it in place. It gets a little wrinkled; but fortunately, we are Platinum with CCL and take advantage of the valet service for DH's tux. My dress - I just take a steam iron and do the best I can............

No special way of packing. We don't use a garment bag - we just gently lay the tux or my dress on the very top of everything else and use the garment safety straps to keep it in place. It gets a little wrinkled; but fortunately, we are Platinum with CCL and take advantage of the valet service for DH's tux. My dress - I just take a steam iron and do the best I can............

Do you get free laundry at the platinum level? I'm more familiar with princess, and you don't get the laundry perks till elite level.

karen

Do you get free laundry at the platinum level? I'm more familiar with princess, and you don't get the laundry perks till elite level.

karen

Yes - at Platinum on CCL you get free wash and fold service (which I never take advantage of) and free valet service. We just lay out the tux the day before and it's ready the next day. All they really do is steam iron it - and of course, press the shirt. I don't trust them with my gowns and a steam iron - I'd rather do it myself. The reason I don't take advantage of the wash and fold service - it's done in bulk. I just have a problem with my undies mixing with someone else's - I'm just wierd that way..............

We have never gone on Princess. I always wanted to try them - especially because of "Love Boat" - Ha. Ha. Now we probably never will........I am a smoker and they no longer allow smoking on any of their vessels. WAAAA!

Crystal.

Howdy fellow Texans!! My name is Charlotte and I am a Cruiseaholic!!:D I live in Denton (DFW area) with my soon to be husband Jerry (CC screen name dfw_atcs). I have been on 8 Carnival, 1 Princess and 1 RCCL. My Hunny has been on 6 Carnival. We LOVE to cruise!! We are booked on B2B Carnival Freedom in Sept for our honeymoon cruise. Ecstacy in Feb 2010 (I have been on this ship before, Hunny hasn't), B2B Carnival Dream April 2010 and Carnival Spirit Hawaiian Cruise Sept 2010.

Princess has some areas that are designated smoking and nonsmoking, but there are no smoke free ships in the Princess fleet.

How many days? 5?

Karen

Cool - we may check them out; but it's so hard to give up the PLAT status on CCL.

I leave this Saturday morning and it can't get here soon enough.

Crystal.

Hi! My name is Nancy and my friend Clarie and I love to cruise. We have been to Alaska and to the Carribean twice. We have always gone on NCL, but will be sailing out of Galveston on the Conquest 11/1/09. Clarie is a widow and I am married to a farmer who hates water (except to bathe) so we have a good time. I like going on NCL out of Houston, but am sure we will love Carnival too. Does anyone know of any cruises leaving from Houston in the near future?

Nancy

Hi! My name is Nancy and my friend Clarie and I love to cruise. We have been to Alaska and to the Carribean twice. We have always gone on NCL, but will be sailing out of Galveston on the Conquest 11/1/09. Clarie is a widow and I am married to a farmer who hates water (except to bathe) so we have a good time. I like going on NCL out of Houston, but am sure we will love Carnival too. Does anyone know of any cruises leaving from Houston in the near future?

Nancy

Hi Nancy - I have never cruised from Houston, so I am no help there. Where exactly in Central Texas are you from?

Chick.

Hi Nancy, I don't about Houston, but you'll love the Conquest. My wife and I sailed on Conquest last May for our honeymmon. So far Conquest is my favorite. The service was outstanding, the food was great and we just had a great time!!!

Hello fellow Texans, I am Jerry the other half of crazy4crusin, we live in Denton and absolutely love to cruise. Our favorite area is the Caribbean but very much looking forward to our planned Hawaii cruise next year.:D

Archived