Information about all inclusive drinks package

I have been offered the all inclusive drinks package for our trip on the Destiny in September for 'jewells of the meditarrainean for £169 each. Does this seam a good deal? I equate that to £24 per person per day, quite a lot of drinking I think?

What I can't find is where you find details of it on their website and have read others posts to indicate that you can only get the package at time of booking, but when I phoned up it was offered to me when I asked for it.

Do others think it's worth it? Do you think it's likley to come down in price later?

This is a very good forum, more informative and up to date than others I have visited:)

Here is a link from a while back where there was quite a bit of discussion about the AI package and you will be able to read a range of opinions as to its value.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=885184

Certainly if you get an AI package thrown into your booking as a freebie (usually as a perk for early booking - or if they are trying to promote a particular cruise) then it's a bonus and obviously something of value.

Whether it's worth buying it depends on your drinking habits. You should estimate what you might reasonably drink in a day then see whether you'll be in pocket by purchasing AI. There's a recent bar list from Celebration just been posted on this forum so you'll be able to see current prices. (But bear in mind that Destiny is a bit different in the range of drinks on offer, which are included in the AI package and which carry a supplement. Again there is information on these differences discussed in thread on here.)

The cost of the AI varies as time goes by - much like the price of the cruises. Generally speaking AI gets more expensive the closer to departure and the cruises get cheaper but it's swings and roundabouts and you can't rely on prices behaving as you might expect.

The only way I know how to check out the cost of AI at any given time is to go through a 'mock' booking process on Thomson's site and when you get to the optional extras (before the page where you enter your credit card details) you will be able to see what they are currently charging for AI (at the bottom of the list of champagne breakfasts, bouquets, anniversary celebration packages etc.).

It's a bit of a mine-field. I should have a drink and try to work out what's best for you!! ;)

Don't forget that the A.I. includes non-alcoholic cocktails, juices, soft drinks, and coffees etc served in the lounges (as opposed to the free d.i.y. coffee at the Lido). £24 might sound a lot but it covers you from 10 a.m. to 2 a.m., i.e. everything from morning coffee, lunch, afternoon, pre-dinner, wine with dinner, liqueur after dinner, evening show, nightcap. Even if you only had one drink (alcoholic or otherwise) at each of these points in the day that is still eight drinks a day.

Carol x

Don't forget that the A.I. includes non-alcoholic cocktails, juices, soft drinks, and coffees etc served in the lounges (as opposed to the free d.i.y. coffee at the Lido). £24 might sound a lot but it covers you from 10 a.m. to 2 a.m., i.e. everything from morning coffee, lunch, afternoon, pre-dinner, wine with dinner, liqueur after dinner, evening show, nightcap. Even if you only had one drink (alcoholic or otherwise) at each of these points in the day that is still eight drinks a day.

Carol x

Thanks for replying, I had variuos answers, obviously everyone's drinking habits differ. I have booked it now, but in the small print at the back of the brochure it says coffe and bottled water not included, does it depend where you order it from? and does the quality vary?

Are you sure about the coffee? As far as I was aware, coffees (including cappuccino which would normally cost £1.50) are included in the AI. They can be ordered in most of the bars and show lounge. Speciality coffees are not included - but I don't think there's anything to stop you ordering a coffee and a brandy/whisky and putting it in your own coffee.

Bottled water is not included - but you can buy it at a reduced price if you have AI. They set up a table near the gangway as you're getting off the ship (or perhaps it's in the show lounge on Celebration) so you can buy water to take off the ship with you. You can find small stores ashore though where you can buy bottled water quite cheap too.

The coffees (and hot chocolate) are pretty good - probably better than the free coffee available 24/7 in the Lido and they give you a little home-made biscuit with it and waiter service too - very civilised!

Archived