Power Snorkel... Yes or No?

mandyc3383

Hi everyone! I need some opinions please... My boyfriend and I have never snorkeled before but are interested in snorkeling during our stop at Grand Turk. I was looking into the power snorkel excursion through Carnival.

I have done a search but have come up with little information. So... has anyone done this excursion and can explain what exactly you do or what the excursion entails? As well, were you able to see a lot of fish or coral? Lastly, would you recommend this excursion to a person who has never snorkeled? In other words do you think we would be able to hold our own?

Thank you so much!!!

I would definitely try to learn to snorkle before your cruise. You waste valuable time trying to learn while at the excursion. You can purchase inflatable vests to wear if you are not an experienced swimmer/snorkler but do it before you cruise. Have you checked out the website for Grand Turks to compare prices?

I am not a wonderful swimmer but would love to actually do this excursion. can you tell me if the power unit helps a lot or only on wanting to move faster. I am a little apprehensive in deep water without some kind of protection so I'm wondering if the power unit could help.

Hi everyone! I need some opinions please... My boyfriend and I have never snorkeled before but are interested in snorkeling during our stop at Grand Turk. I was looking into the power snorkel excursion through Carnival.

I have done a search but have come up with little information. So... has anyone done this excursion and can explain what exactly you do or what the excursion entails? As well, were you able to see a lot of fish or coral? Lastly, would you recommend this excursion to a person who has never snorkeled? In other words do you think we would be able to hold our own?

Thank you so much!!!

Mandy,

We did the power snorkel in Grand Turk last year and it was O.K..The trip starts off from a beach after a demonstration. The leader had the snorkelers follow him to a few sites and yes, we saw some coral and fish. The last site is the "wall" where there is a 5000 foot drop off.

We went back to Grand Turk this January with our 11 year old grandson and decided that this might be too intimidating for a beginner. So rather than take a chance at ruining his appetite for the water we waited until St . Thomas and we went to Coki Beach. I must say that we all had a great time and there were loads of fish. This is where I had my first introduction to snorkeling more than 20 years ago and it was much better now than it was back then.

One piece off advice I can share is to go slow and let the fish do the work. It's amazing what one sees while staying still. 25 or 30 power snorkels churning up the water tends to scare off some fish.

Wherever you choose to go, it's a great experience. Have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

We went on the power snorkel trip in Grand Turk while on our Princess cruise. They did provide the snorkel vest so you have the vest and the power machine. (Sort of like one that has been used in James Bond movies:))) - Well, I did not like the machine, but did get use to it after awhile. We went on the later excursion (1:30) and we did feel a little rushed.

Don't worry about not be able to swim or not having experience. Once you put on the snorkel vest, you are fine. It will be fun.

I will try to find a photo to post from my underwater camera. My daughter and husband went under and had lots of fun with the machine.

We did see fish - but not as many as other locations.

I am thinking about the power snorkel on GT because I really want to see the wall and am experienced. The post about so many people churning up the water with the power things does concern me. I love the fish to come close and be able to lay still to see everything, yet I really want to go out to the wall. Any other thoughts on this?

I did the helmet dive in Grand Turks. I actually have snorkeled a ton (live in Fl) and I am a certified diver but I enjoyed the helmet drive. Since my DH does not dive we could enjoy this together. Something to consider.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coffey...

When you did the helmet dive, did they take you out to a dive spot in a boat or was it from shore? One of the people in our party gets seasick quite easily and is trying to avoid getting off the cruise ship and then getting onto a smaller boat for an excursion. Thanks!

Archived