Cash/ credit card / bank card currencty europe

Credit cards work well, the best rate is the one offered by Capital One, they have the lowest rate in Canada. Remember to call your bank before you go to tell them what countries you will be in.

You will be able to use your ATM in Europe. Check with your bank and what networks they accept. You need a 4 digit pin and have your main account encoded as chequing because most European banks won't ask.

I don't remember being able to use Interac in Europe other than for ATM withdrawals.

You may want to call your credit card issuer and ask them for a new credit card with a chip, if they offer it. Some places in Europe it is needed. Most automatic machines that accept credit cards in France, for example, only work with the chip. (You will need a pin as well). You can also ask your bank for a new bank card with a chip as well. It's not required, but it is more secure.

I was just checking out the transaction fees on credit card international purchases and Capitol One is the only one that does not impose a fee.

Most charge 3% transaction fee.

I hate to get another credit card, but also do not want to pay fees.

I was wondering if the Purser's office on the ship will change currency for us?

I have never cruised in Europe, but I do travel to Europe on business fairly often.

I usually buy several hundred dollars worth of Euros from a local bank before traveling. They give a far beter exchange rate than you will get at a currency exchange booth or a bank in Europe. I have found that there are many shops, resteraunts etc, that only take cash, not credit cards in Europe.

In addition European vendors only take select American credit cards. If they take credit cards at all, they invariably accept AmEx, sometimes Visa and less frequently MaterCard. That has been my experience in Italy and Germany, it might be different in other areas of Europe.

Archived