Ketchikan Kayak Co -vs- Southeast Sea Kayaks

luvbigdogs

Does anyone have experience with either of these two kayak companies in Ketchikan? I am actually interested in the Orca Cove trip with Southeast Sea Kayaks, but wanted to know if it's really worth the considerably extra amount of money. The messages I've read so far are all in favor of NOT taking a kayak excursion that just stays off the coast of downtown, but rather goes to more remote locations. I just want to be sure it's worth it!! Any help would be appreciated!

http://www.ketchikankayakco.com/Kayak_Tours.htm

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/guidedtrips.html#pp

We did the shorter tour with Southeast Kayaks and loved it.. went across the shipping channel behind some small islands.. saw lots of bald eagles nesting, on the beaches close up and were gone just the right amount of time for a short port call. The scenery over there is lovely.

We did the Orcas Cove kayaking last June with Southeast Seas, and would highly recommend. I am in good shape, but neither of us kayak, and we found it somewhat strenuous when paddling against the tide (the tides really move in Alaska!). The highlight for us, in addition to eagles, was seeing both Orca and Humpback whales while we were kayaking-kind of scary as they weren't that far away, but quite memorable!

Archived