Machu Picchu information

woodley

I am looking for a tour from Santiago to Machu Picchu either 3 or four nights. I am planning to fly from Lima back to the USA after that. Can anyone reccomend a tour company?

I also would not mind doing the whole trip independently, does anyone have any experience of doing this? Where to stay, who to fly with and is it safe to travel on our own.

Altitude sickness - any information on this and any ideas how to prevent or minimise this.

I am looking for a tour from Santiago to Machu Picchu either 3 or four nights. I am planning to fly from Lima back to the USA after that. Can anyone reccomend a tour company?

I also would not mind doing the whole trip independently, does anyone have any experience of doing this? Where to stay, who to fly with and is it safe to travel on our own.

Altitude sickness - any information on this and any ideas how to prevent or minimise this.

Please do a search and read some of my previous posts. I have posted hotel info, AMS info and plane info. This is a trip you can EASILY do on your own. Book your air, book your hotel, book your train ticket to MP. A trip to the Sacred Valley is easily arranged in Cusco, as is a guide (you really don't need one) to MP.

I go to Cusco/MP at least two times per year for business (import/export). After you have read some of the previous posts, please feel free to ask any other questions.

Woodley-- We are on the Sun with you and have made plans to go to Machu Picchu on the Monday after we dock. Will be there until Thursday, then fly back to Santaigo for the flight home. The airfare from Lima back to SF was alot more than flying back to Santiago, then home for us. Not sure what your situation might be. If you have any questions about our plans let me know. John aka Bubbachief

Woodley-- Just looked at Travelocity, you can fly one-way Lima to MIA on 11/27 for $256 on Avianca. Don't know if MIA works for you, but that's a really cheap fare. Our fare from Lima to SFO would be like $800 and we have to go through MIA to get that fare.

Woodley-- We are on the Sun with you and have made plans to go to Machu Picchu on the Monday after we dock. Will be there until Thursday, then fly back to Santaigo for the flight home. The airfare from Lima back to SF was alot more than flying back to Santiago, then home for us. Not sure what your situation might be. If you have any questions about our plans let me know. John aka Bubbachief

RT Santiago/Lima/Cusco generally runs between $500-550.

OP is out of Florida. Flights into Miami run about $300-400 from Lima. West Coast is about $800-1000 out of either Lima or SCL. I can see flights from SCL/LIM/CUZ/LIM/Miami for about $850.00 through May 10 booked as one ticket. A combination (and two separate tickets on two separate airlines) from SCL/LIM/CUZ/LIM, then LIM/MIA can be purchased for about $700.00 (RT SCL/LIM/CUZ/LIM on LAN and throw away the return to SCL, then Copa, Taca or LAsca to MIA, again throwing away the return to LIM). If not watching the budget too closely, LAN offers excellent service from SCL through Cusco into MIA for about $950.

I fly from LAX/PHX to SCL/ Lima at least 4 times per year for business. I have found that I am far better off and save quite a bit of money getting to NYC, DFW, or MIA on the cheapest flight I can find rather than trying to book direct from LAX. I can usually get from LAX to SCL RT for less than $700 using a combination of tickets and airlines. The West Coast routes are prohibitively expensive when you book an LAX/South America routing.

And please be aware that the later in the day you fly LIM/CUZ, the more chance you have of not landing in Cusco. It is "iffy" at best to take a flight AFTER 11:00AM from Lima to Cusco. The fog rolls into the valley, the pilot circles and circles looking for an opening and then ends up back in Lima to try the next day. The Cusco airport is not big and does not have high tech equipment. So landing in the fog is NOT an option. My best suggestion is leave on the 9:00PM from SCL, arrive LIM at midnight and take the 5:30AM flight to Cusco. You will be beat, but going to bed is the BEST thing you can do to stave off AMS. Hotels (all except the cheapie backpacker hotels) have pick up service. Drink lots of coca tea when you arrive and go to bed. When you wake up, have some dinner and go back to bed. You should be fine the next day if you keep drinking coca tea.

Or arrive Lima, spend the day, then take the early morning flight the NEXT day to avoid any problems. Enjoy!!!

Thank you all so much for your help and advice. I think I am going to try and book this myself rather than using a tour operator.

This is what I have so far please advise if you think it will work

11/23/2009 fly santiago to lima Taca 7.40am arrive 9.30

over night in Lima

11/24/2009 Fly lima to cuzco Taca 5.40am arrive 7.05am

Overnight in Cuzco

11/25 catch train to macchu picchu stay overnight return on train

11/26/2009 overnight in Cuzco

11/27/2009 Fly cuzco to lima 7.55am Taca arrive 9.20

Day in Lima stay night in hotel

11/28/2009 5.50am Lima to Miami Avianca arrive 2pm

11/28/2009 miami to orlando Continental 4.45 depart arrive 5.50pm

The total cost of airfare works out to be $1064 which I think is good.

I would need to add to this 5 nights hotel and transfers also the train.

Any reccomendations on Hotels?

Thanks

We're doing this after disembarking in Santiago next month, so I'll be able to tell you more then.

I'd probably want more time in Cusco than in Lima, but if those are the only flight times/dates that work out, it's not bad.

Woodley-- We also booked on the Taca flight 11/23 to lima, but continuing on to Cusco that same day. Hope the fog won't be an issue in November.

In Cusco we are staying the nights of 11/23-11/25 at the Torre Dorado, check them out on Trip Advisor. In Santiago the night of 11/22 we are staying at the Diego De Almagro Aeropuerto. It's at the airport and handy for the early am flight on the 23rd.

Are also planning on taking the train on the the 25th. We may take one train going and the backpacker train going back to Cusco the same day. That way we get a little more time at Machu Picchu w/o spending the night there.

Lets keep in touch. John

Bubbacheif who are you flying from Lima to Cuzco with on the 23rd, we would prefer to fly on to cuzco the same day rather than stay in Lima but I cannot find a flight that goes later. Liz

I was wrong on the flight to lima/cusco. We are flying on Lan, not Taca. Leaves SCL around 7:50 am, changes planes in lima, arriving in cusco around 12:45pm. I just looked and the one way fare SCL/Lima/Cusco on Lan is around $700 pp. We paid around $500 pp round trip. Then we fly Taca home from SCL to SFO, again that round-about scheduling gave us the cheapest over-all fare when we booked. Cost may change in the future, but would have to balance the cost to change our reservations.

We won't be home for Thanksgiving, but our son is in the military and he may not be home then anyway.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice. I think I am going to try and book this myself rather than using a tour operator.

over night in Lima

Overnight in Cuzco

Thanks

Your schedule looks fine. If it was my trip, I still would leave Santiago on the 22nd in the evening, wait the 5 hours at the Lima airport for the earliest Cusco flight and go to BED when I got to Cusco. The way you have it scheduled now, you will have the full day in Lima, then a good nights sleep. You will be excited and when you get to Cusco, you will NOT feel like going immediately to bed. You will want to go out and see things. EASIEST way to get altitude sickness is do TOO MUCH the first day. You need to TOTALLY CHILL OUT-an easy walk around the plaza for dinner is the MOST you should do (unless you live in Colorado and are used to the altitude). I frequently see cruise ship passengers on those VERY expensive excursions staying in their hotels, gulping oxygen and missing their entire MP experience.

Once you feel the headache coming on (first sign of altitude sickness), you are setting yourself up for a lousy couple of days.

A couple of things most are not aware of in Cusco. Quite a few of the hotels DO NOT have HEAT. They have only recently put natural gas in Cusco and electricity is VERY high. So a good percentage of the "non Americanized" hotels do not have heat. They rent you these little electric "radiator" things (they sell them at WalMart), generally for $5.00 per night. It is a horrible feeling to have the first signs of altitude sickness and being cold. And believe me, those little heaters DO NOT warm up the room more than 5 feet away from the heater.

The Torre Dorado is a lovely hotel. Peggy (the owner) is a superior host. I have stayed there 3 times. However, three things which would dissuade me if I was a first time visitor and have been in Cusco as many times as I have been:

1) The building is 4 stories-breakfast (included in the room rate) is on the 4th floor. There is NO elevator. Climbing stairs the first day is good way to bring on AMS. Even the lowest floor room is on the second floor.

2). There is NO HEAT-again, the little radiator thing and believe me, they DO NOT warm up the room much

3) Although Peggy has a car to get you to town most anytime you want to go, it is quite a distance from the Plaza (about a 10 minute ride-NOT walking distance). And you must find a taxi to get you BACK to the hotel. Cusco taxis can be VERY iffy. I NEVER hail a taxi off the street-ALWAYS have my hotel or a restaurant call a cab for me. Lots of drugged up/drunk guys drive cabs in Cusco-you DO NOT want to get into a p*** contest with an out of control taxi driver over money or the favorite-he will take you to "his hotel".

My recommendations for hotels: Sonesta Posada on the Square (the suite room actually faces the Plaza) or the Casa Andina hotels (there are 5 in Cusco-varying prices). Casa Andina hotels are Peruvian owned and are very nice in every location I have stayed in (6).

These hotels are in the lower end of the middle price scale. Then of course, there is the Monasterio (to die for, but over the top expensive), the Libratador (VERY Americanized-the cruise lines use this hotel a lot), a Novotel and more and more and more. Below is a pretty complete list of hotels in Cusco. I have stayed in a lot of them.

And I use this agency to book hotels in Peru and Chile on occasion (although I book my own in Cusco, unless Peru Hotels has a cheaper price). They have always done a good job, have solved a couple of problems I have had unrelated to hotels and actually are based in Florida. DO NOT book their packages unless you REALLY investigate the breakdown of the package. Good friends used them to book a package (hotel, transfers, trains to MP, etc) and ended up paying almost $130 PER PERSON for the service. I had referred them to the website for hotel booking ONLY. They got carried away thinking the package was "easier" and ended up paying a lot of money for the service.

http://www.peru-hotels.com/cuzco.htm

Here's the link to the train booking if you don't have it: http://www.perurail.com/web/tper/tper_a2a_home.jsp

I am really upset with Orient Express (who now runs the train). This year they are forcing everyone to get to Poroy (outside Cusco over the hill-about 1/2 hour drive) to take the train. The "zig zag" out of Cusco on the train was one of the great features on the train. Going backwards in a train was a real highlight. You had to go forward and backward 3 times to switch tracks and get over the hill. They are now going to run the train empty from Cusco to Poroy and board everyone at Poroy. Means you have to get up even earlier, as you have to find transport to Poroy. Real bummer!!!!

One last thing-IF there is any way you can squeeze another day, a day trip to the Sacred Valley and the Pisac market is well worth the time (about $25.00pp). And don't forget to have a hamburger at Norton's Rat Tavern (South side of the Plaza, second floor). Old time hippie biker bar-owner arrived in Cusco via motocycle many years ago. Best hamburgers in South America (they have lots of other stuff, too). And a view of the Plaza that tops all the rest of them. Just a nice atmosphere for a meal the first day.

Enjoy!!!

If I read the schedule correctly, the Backpacker train still leaves from Cusco at 6:50, returning at 17:05. Am I reading this correctly? If so, anything wrong with the backpacker train? It may be the best way to go scheduled wise.

If I read the schedule correctly, the Backpacker train still leaves from Cusco at 6:50, returning at 17:05. Am I reading this correctly? If so, anything wrong with the backpacker train? It may be the best way to go scheduled wise.

The schedule is correct. BUT when you try to book the tickets, you get the following message online.

From April 1st 2009, the Backpacker train will be covering the route:

Poroy - Machu Picchu - Poroy.

From February 2nd 2009, the Vistadome train will be covering the route

Poroy - Machu Picchu - Poroy

I just got back from South America. Met a friend in Cusco. When I went to the train station to purchase tickets for them, they told me the Vistadome train left from Poroy, NOT Cusco. If they wanted to leave from Cusco, they had to take the Backpacker train. And that they were discontinuing running the train from Cusco after this season. ONLY from Poroy (which is at the top of the hill-about 15,000 feet). So I booked them the backpacker train OUT of Cusco, then the Vistadome back to Poroy. I met them with the car when they returned from MP. They got an extra couple of hours + got the zig zag. Cost an extra $25.00pp, as I had to purchase two one way tickets to get them on two different trains. But sadly, that option (Cusco) may not be available next season.

The difference in the trains-fancier, more comfortable sets and you get drinks and snacks free on the Vistadome. The view is better, with the larger windows and a glass top. And they have Peruvian entertainment on the Vistadome, although that Peruvian flute music gets to me after an hour. That is something most people can do without.

And you will have a LOT of kids (the backpackers-college age) on the train. Sometimes it is OK, sometimes it is just a little too much. They can be awful loud, especially if they have been partying all night and are going to hike the Inca trail.

Greatam- Thankyou for the information, I think we may do what you suggested and miss the night in Lima before going onto cusco. I do have another couple of question though.

If we get to Cusco early in the morning will we be able to get into our room that early or will we have to wait till 3pm check in, if so should we book an extra night the night before we arrive?

When we go to Machu Picchu and stay the night would we need to take all our luggage there or is there some system where we can leave it in storage?

What is the airport like in Lima, will we have the opportunity to get something to eat and drink in the early hours of the morning or should we take this with us?

Do you know if it is possible to check luggage in early at santiago and then leave the airport to do a tour of the city and enjoy a meal before returning to the airport for the late evening flight?

Greatam- Thankyou for the information, I think we may do what you suggested and miss the night in Lima before going onto cusco. I do have another couple of question though.

If we get to Cusco early in the morning will we be able to get into our room that early or will we have to wait till 3pm check in, if so should we book an extra night the night before we arrive?

Truly depends on the hotel. You will just have to contact them and see what they say.

Some have noon check in, some will let you check in when you arrive. A lot depends on availability and whether they have to clean the room from the night before. I have booked the Suite room at the Sonesta Posada and been able to check in by no later than 8:30AM (time for breakfast, luggage arrival and transfer to the hotel-then to bed). Booking the room for the night before may be a good idea, depending on the hotel. MAKE SURE when you get off the plane, the hotel sends someone to pick you up. Most hotels (other than the backpacker hotels) have free airport pick up service. And go to the back of the airport parking lot BEFORE you get in the car to go to the hotel. There are a couple of little kiosks there-one lady sells coca tea and coca leaves. Buy a couple of cups of tea and a bag of leaves. And keep drinking it for the entire day, whenever you are awak. Your hotel will have some tea but almost all hotels in Cusco have hot water and you can make your own with the leaves. Just steep the leaves you purchased at the airport. Takes a little longer steeping than regular tea but sure is better than AMS.

When we go to Machu Picchu and stay the night would we need to take all our luggage there or is there some system where we can leave it in storage?
Hotels in Cusco are very accustomed to keeping luggage for MP tourists. You will have no problem.

What is the airport like in Lima, will we have the opportunity to get something to eat and drink in the early hours of the morning or should we take this with us?

The airport is OK-not fantastic, but definitely not too horrible. There is Dunkin Donuts, Mickey D's, a Peruvian Place, a bar (good drinks and cheap by airport standards) and a couple of "snack" places. You can go to the Chapel for a few quiet moments and some sleep (well, that depends on how many backpackers have just arrived from the USA and are doing the same thing you are before they go hike the Inca trail). Take a look at Lonely Planet, Thorn Tree forums, Peru. The kids have all this scoped out and sure have helped me (an oldster) many many times (if I get in a bind in a strange place, Lonely Planet is the FIRST place I go) . Lots of helpful info on LP from kids who don't have much money and HAD to figure it out somehow. Also check out http://sleepinginairports.com/ You will be just fine at the Lima airport-DO NOT go wandering around OUTSIDE the airport. Pretty spooky neighborhood, especially if you don't speak FLUID Spanish. Spanglish just doesn't get it a 2:00AM.

Do you know if it is possible to check luggage in early at santiago and then leave the airport to do a tour of the city and enjoy a meal before returning to the airport for the late evening flight?

There is a luggage storage room (per piece cost) and also some lockers. Luggage storage is on the arrivals level-look for CUSTODIA.http://www.aeropuertosantiago.cl/english/index.php?option=com_buscador_tiendas&Itemid=310

PLEASE book a tour agency or independent tour guide for your adventure IF you are not going to drive yourself from Valparaiso (I recommend this route-cheaper, easy driving and you have total control and drop the car off at the airport)

Yes, it is certainly possible to do the airport/downtown Santiago/dinner on your own. BUT you really won't have more than about 6 hours between arriving in Santiago on either a ship or private transfer and when you MUST get in line to check in for your international flight to Cusco (it takes a LOOOOONG time to check in at SA airports-ESPECIALLY on cruise days. The lines are long and the airport is over crowded. Allow 3 hours). So while doing it on your own from the airport is certainly possible, if you miss ONE connection (bus/subway for sightseeing or stay too long at a restaurant, you may miss your plane to Cusco)

IF you want info about driving yourself from Valparaiso to Santiago and then to the airport, please post. You can even hit a winery or two on the way to the airport plus see some of the city. The tour companies, while they give a good tour, usually drop off at the airport between 4-5PM. If you want a later drop off, you will pay a lot of money for it.

Thankyou bubbacheif and Greatam for the information you provided to me it was a great help we now have our flights book and just need to book the accomadation.

We are flying 11/22/2009 to Lima staying in the airport for about 5 hours then taking the first flight to MP.

We will stay in Cusco 11/23 then we are thinking of staying at the sanctuary for one night the back to cusco for two nights. On 27th we will return to lima, stay the night then we have a 5am flight to Miami with avianca ( wonderful price) on 28th.

Greatam - there are a couple of lounges n Lima Airport do you know if they are in the area we need to be in as I thought that may allow us a little extra comfort.

Thanks again for your help Liz

Just lurking here...sorry I don't have anything to add. I want to hear how all this works out. I am planning our April 2008 cruise and DDP and I want to do MP but had just about given up....maybe I can convince the boss that being gone another 5 days wouldn't be the end of the world. Looking forward to hearing how ya'lls visits work out.

Thankyou bubbacheif and Greatam for the information you provided to me it was a great help we now have our flights book and just need to book the accomadation.

We are flying 11/22/2009 to Lima staying in the airport for about 5 hours then taking the first flight to MP.

We will stay in Cusco 11/23 then we are thinking of staying at the sanctuary for one night the back to cusco for two nights. On 27th we will return to lima, stay the night then we have a 5am flight to Miami with avianca ( wonderful price) on 28th.

Greatam - there are a couple of lounges n Lima Airport do you know if they are in the area we need to be in as I thought that may allow us a little extra comfort.

Thanks again for your help Liz

One thing about staying at the Sanctuary-Since Orient Express bought the Monasterio, the Sanctuary AND THE TRAIN, they are now requiring people stay at the Monasterio to be able to book the Sanctuary. Due to the price of both hotels, this makes it a very expensive trip. And in addition, the Monasterio has piped in oxygen in all rooms, so you NEVER REALLY acclimate to the altitude. Peru-Hotels.com has been able to get rooms at the Sanctuary ONLY on occasion. Just depends on how busy the hotel is and how many people have booked the Orient Express "package". So if you really want to stay there (it is truly a fabulous experience), book the Sanctuary VERY early. And you may have to make quite a few contacts to be able to book the Sanctuary WITHOUT booking the Monasterio.

As for the lounges in the Lima Airport-LAN has a great lounge. However, they close about midnight after the last flight, so no hanging out in that lounge for the wait for MP flights. There is the Sumaq lounge, which is airside in the INTERNATIONAL concourse and open 24 hours. So you would have to get off your SCL/LIM flight, go to this lounge, then go to the domestic terminal for your Cusco flight. But this MAY present problems-you will not have cleared Peruvian immigration nor picked up your checked luggage and taken it through Customs. And once you leave the International terminal (clear immigration/customs), you will have a hard time getting back into the lounge, as you have a domestic ticket for MP. So you COULD stay there for a couple of hours (eat at the buffet and get a drink). But where your luggage would be-???

Unless you are flying TACA business class from SCL/LIM, you will not have free access. And AFAIK, they do not sell day passes. BUT you can sign up for Priority Pass minimum membership and then PAY individually for lounge access (they bill you AFTER you are at a lounge). It is the membership I have, as I am an AA Admirals Club member and with top tier elite status on AA, I can get into MOST airline lounges AA is affiliated with. But for the few that AA doesn't have any connection with (and I just spent 11 weeks in the Mid East, where AA has few affiliations) Priority Pass is a BIG benefit. I love the membership and have even gone to lounges just because they are closer to my gate than an Admiral's Club. Until Delta closer their lounge last year, I frequently used the Delta Crowne Room in Terminal 3, PHX, as AA did not have a lounge. Well worth the cost if you fly enough. http://www.prioritypass.com/index.cfm

Cuzco has changed over the years, hasn,t it?:confused:

When I was there in 1953 they turned on the hot water after the train left for MP, and turned it again an hour before we returned.!:( and that was the ONLY recommened hotel in town!).

A couple of years ago DW, daughter and fam. went to Cuzco, had an excellent hotel, great trip to MP, and wonderful experience in the mountains.

over night in Lima

Overnight in Cuzco

Thanks

My wife (Peruvian), and I were trying to book a trip several years ago. Due to a cancer diagnosis which changed our priorities, we cancelled our starting (AA) reservations. Two years later some friends found a land tour that was almost what we wanted!:cool::cool:

The price was better, and MOST of the trip was great.

Moral: Keep trying and keep options open! :cool:

GreatAm - Thanks for all of the terrifically useful info you have posted about travel to South America. Your suggestion of joining Priority Pass looks very a good one, as we will be flying back to the U.S. from Lima after spending a week in the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, and Cusco. The flight (Continental to Houston) departs quite late; but it does not appear that Continental Biz/First passengers have access to any lounge at Lima.

Priority Pass shows two lounges, with identical descriptions of their locations: "Airside - after Security, pass Gate 17, turn left and walk 20 meters through the corridor to the Lounge entrance."

One is called Sumaq VIP Lounge and Business Center, while the other is just called VIP Lounge and Business Center.

Do you think they're the same place? If not, is one a better choice than the other? We would be grateful for any thoughts you have on this question.

Cheers, Fred

GreatAm - Thanks for all of the terrifically useful info you have posted about travel to South America. Your suggestion of joining Priority Pass looks very a good one, as we will be flying back to the U.S. from Lima after spending a week in the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, and Cusco. The flight (Continental to Houston) departs quite late; but it does not appear that Continental Biz/First passengers have access to any lounge at Lima.

Priority Pass shows two lounges, with identical descriptions of their locations: "Airside - after Security, pass Gate 17, turn left and walk 20 meters through the corridor to the Lounge entrance."

One is called Sumaq VIP Lounge and Business Center, while the other is just called VIP Lounge and Business Center.

Do you think they're the same place? If not, is one a better choice than the other? We would be grateful for any thoughts you have on this question.

Cheers, Fred

Same place

Finally booked the hotel in Cusco, we ended up at Casa Andina private collection for three nights and one night at the Sanctuary.

I hope I have made the right decision, I know it is expensive but it is my husbands birthday so i thought it would make it special.

Greatam -can you give me the name of a decent hotel in Lima, we have an early morning flight on 11/28 (5.30am)so would need to be fairly close to the airport. Our flight from Cusco arrive at 10.30am on 11/27 so we would have all day in lima. I saw one you had reccomended on another post but could not find it again.

The Miraflores Park Hotel is also owned by Oriental Express (they own the Sanctuary Lodge, the Hiram Bingham 5 star train to MP and the Monasterio Hotel in Cuzco) and is a lovely hotel on the bluff overlooking the Pacific and a short walk along the water to the Larcoma Shopping Center teraced on the hill also overlooking the water. There is also a giant Merriott next to the Miraflores hotel. This is the Miraflores District and very nice...with the ocean breezes blowing the smog away!

Fun spot.

Have a great trip.

Larinconada

Archived