Civitavecchia -is there much to see there?

CASPALL

hi caspall weve been to rome twice now and to be honest the port is just that a port with nothing to do or see from the ship.there has never been a free shuttle bus from the ship to any where just outside the port gates.I expect someone else may have some info,but we always have a tour to somewhere from civitavechia.hope this helps..humpy..

I know it's the port for Rome, but have been there a few times so just wondered if the port itself was worth spending a few hours in.

Caryl

I don't think there's any thing in the area that would particularly attract tourists. However, having done the coach ride between Fiumicino and Civitavecchia a couple of times I felt that the landscape we were passing through looked attractive & well-tended. It's obviously very old - it's been settled for well over 2,000 years. Why not Google 'Lazio Tourism'?

In fact it's probably the case that a day spent in the region would be closer to 'the real Italy' that a day in Rome or wherever. I'm thinking of small towns & villages with very Italian architecture and the general Italian way of life. It could actually be quite attractive.

We were in Civitavecchia last year, there are a few bars and shops but not a lot to see.

We caught the train from Civ into the main terminal in Rome, very good service, cheaper quicker and my flexible than the organised coaches. The station in Civ is a 15 minute walk from where the ship docks. Then did an open top bus tour of Rome from the station.

Thanks jimmyisgod, but we'll probably take the oportunity to enjoy a quiet ship for the day. We've been on holiday to Rome a few times so really can't be bothered with the hassle of it all - even though it's a brilliant city. We'll just look for a supermarket in Civ. and stock up on Prosecco!!

We had considered going to Orvieto, but the train times aren't the best.

Caryl

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder if you could advise me if there are minibus tours you can pick up to go to Rome from Civitavechia port when you arrive. I ;)mean as it is like in the carribean ports you get off the ship and there are tour buses looking to pick up business.

Wonder if you could advise me if there are minibus tours you can pick up to go to Rome from Civitavechia port when you arrive. I ;)mean as it is like in the carribean ports you get off the ship and there are tour buses looking to pick up business.

Don't think so, perhaps the 'Rome on your own' trip will be best for you - coach in and back. A taxi to Rome costs £100's i have been told and that was in 2007, now the euro is nearly the same as the £ alot more now. Its a 1 1/2 hr drive by coach. each way

No there arn't but there is a very good train service (2 per hour) to Rome for the princely sum of €9 return, which includes travel in Rome on local buses and underground. Takes about 50mins to St Peters and about another 15 mins into Central Rome.

Brian

We went to there in July 2008 and did a tour - to be honest we were on a competitor line however the tour we did was lovely. It took in the lakes out in the country with a stop at a winery for a buffet lunch and wine tasting. This was a divine location. Quite a novel tour for us.

Last year, in Civitaveccchia, a local in town towld me of an ancient village about a 20 min bus ride north. the local bus (1 euro) was in front of us, we jumped on, joined all the locals going home or shopping or ?, and got off 20 mins later at the end of the line. The own has ancient gates, a fabulous museum with many etruscan(!!!) artifacts, and many ancient tombs nearby. The town has many tall square stone towers similar to San Gimigano, and a few small shops. There are two modest but excellent restaurants in town, and a fine, clean public restroom near the town center. there was by our luck a weekly market in session selling mostly clothing, food, records & DVD's, etc. Wonderful day. Bus has a reliable schedule and returned us to the port in time. The port shuttle bus took us to the ship.

Stan

Archived