What to for afternoon in San Pedro?

earn

We are planning to drop off our Hertz hire car in Lomita at 1pm (office closed after that), and take their $15 taxi rebate to get back to the hotel. We are staying at the Doubletree, and can take their bus within San Pedro. Our DSs are 8 and 10, and my question is what can we do in the afternoon? What if the weather is not fab, will they all be bored? The hassle of keeping the car and dropping of in Long beach is too much and Enterprise have priced themselves out of the market for a one day hire.

Since you are at the Doubletree you can take them to the Cabrillo Aquarium which is within walking distance. Another great walk would be to the train station at 22nd street and Harbor. Take the train down to the cruise line entrance and check out the new dancing fountains. You can then walk back to Port's O Call and have dinner at Alcapulco, sit outside, and watch the ships go by.

Yeppers!

Cabrillo Aquarium, trolley ride, etc...

Once you get to the end of the trolley near Acapulco's (before dinner)...

There are some really cool stores on 6th Street (close easy walk right from there).

There is a super cool toy, model store that is 8 and 10 year old boy perfect to just look though.

There's other cool funky ones to look through as well.

I was also going to mention Rex's Cafe for breakfast near your hotel. It's an awesome place for your kids!

So, as you can see earn, there are a lot of nice options for you - Enjoy!:D

Thanks for the ideas. I was wonderring about breakfast, so your idea sounds good. Can we walk to the cafe? We are planning to go to the port at about 11am, so a stroll for breakfast before that would be fine.

Fort MacArthur is at the south end of SP. http://www.ftmac.org/ You can tour the shore batteries that protected the coastline during WW1 and WW2. A SP local can let you know the best way to get there; it's a bit out of the way.

Closer to the Doubletree is the LA Maritime Museum if your boys are interested in that...next to the cruise docks is the Lane Victory, a restored WW2 Liberty Ship that is open for tours.

http://www.sanpedro.com/ is a good website.

Thanks for the ideas. I was wonderring about breakfast, so your idea sounds good. Can we walk to the cafe? We are planning to go to the port at about 11am, so a stroll for breakfast before that would be fine.

Yes, the cafe is within walking distance and has VERY good food. Enjoy!

Yeppers!

Cabrillo Aquarium, trolley ride, etc...

Once you get to the end of the trolley near Acapulco's (before dinner)...

There are some really cool stores on 6th Street (close easy walk right from there).

Good advise. However, the trolly stop near the Acapulco restaurant is not the end of the line, but rather more like in the middle ...

route.jpg

Train.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

Some OT trivia....the trolley is a Pacific Electric Red Car. The PE was an extensive rail system that spread all over the greater LA area. Its heyday was in the 40's and 50's and one could travel almost anywhere (given some time, but life was slower then). Rapid urbanization in the 50's and 60's brought cars and the freeway system. The final straw was when GM basically ensured the PE failed to remove competition with the automobile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Electric_Railway

Of course the regional transit planners are now spending billion$ to build light rail, much of it duplicating the old PE.

The trolley has three stops: Cruise Line Entrance, 6th street and 22nd street. Enjoy!!

If you walk through Downtown come on in and say, "Hi"

We are at the corner of 6th street and Pacific Ave. Off The Vine.

Oh, this looks so much fun. the boys will love to ride on this. Thanks for the pics. We can probably get the trolly back from the Acapulco.
There are also dancing waters ...

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

and seals ...

DSCN2755.jpg

I'm just so happy to see the continued gentrification of San Pedro.

It's becoming such a cool, hep, interesting area again!

:cool:

Not in the summer. Then it becomes a hot, hep, interesting area. :D

For the locals..... is there any shopping in San Pedro, as in women's clothing? Being from Canada, I'd like to grab the opportunity to do some serious shopping while I can, on the Saturday afternoon, pre-cruise.

We are staying at Crowne Plaza in San Pedro - how far are we from the train station or the Cabrillo Aquarium or Harbor? I would love to see the dancing fountains at night.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Judy:)

We are staying at Crowne Plaza in San Pedro - how far are we from the train station or the Cabrillo Aquarium or Harbor? I would love to see the dancing fountains at night.

SanPedrowithhotel.jpg

It's just right down at the bottom of 6th Street from the hotel.

About 2 blocks. That will get you right to the train stop...

For the locals..... is there any shopping in San Pedro, as in women's clothing? Being from Canada, I'd like to grab the opportunity to do some serious shopping while I can, on the Saturday afternoon, pre-cruise.

There are a few boutiques, but I would not consider them "serious shopping" for women's clothing.

I'm forgetting what hotel you're going to be at - but Crowne Plaza has a shuttle on occasion that will take you to and from Del Amo Mall.

Does that help?:confused:

It's just right down at the bottom of 6th Street from the hotel.

About 2 blocks. That will get you right to the train stop...

Okay, but after you walk down the street toward the train stop, the station is on the left - not the right. So you should have said, "That will get you left to the train stop..." :D

There are a few boutiques, but I would not consider them "serious shopping" for women's clothing.

I'm forgetting what hotel you're going to be at - but Crowne Plaza has a shuttle on occasion that will take you to and from Del Amo Mall.

Does that help?:confused:

We're staying at the Doubletree. I phoned them today and the Del Amo Mall is outside the 5-mile radius for their shuttle. Darn!

Archived