Smart Casual

What exactly is smart casual vs. casual? Any idea why there is one smart casual night on the Mariner? Is there something special that night?

Just curious. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Premier,Star Ship Magestic, 1990 and 1992
RCL, Monarch of the Seas, 5/1994
Disney Wonder, 5/2002
RCL, Mariner of the Seas, 5/2004

It's supposed to be a little dressier - jacket for the men, dress for the women.

The majority of passengers treat it as another casual night, feeling that bringing clothes for two distinct types of dress is enough.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

sshuttle,

On one of my smart casual nights I wore a very nice pantsuit outfit that you wouldn't wear to church. It was two piece with crew neck type sleevless sweater with capri pants that had satin and sequins on the cuffs of the pants. I did whear a long formal dress for captains night and took formal dress pants to swith out tops with. We were on a longer cruise, if I took a dress for every fomal and smart casual night I wouldn't have room in my suitcase.

God bless you and yours.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

What are the dress codes onboard?
There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women
Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women
Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.
5 - nights include one formal, one smart casual and three casual nights.
7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.
10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.
14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

I usually take a pantsuit for smart casual night, and pair the pants (sans jacket) from with a different top for one of the casual nights.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;08;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]   'til Sovereign of the Seas

Sailing the Splendour of the Seas on ...
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;01;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Sovereign 01/02, 11/02, 6/03, 08/03, 09/03
Fantasy 06/2002
Mariner 12/03
Radiance 04/04

I only wore a tie on Formal nite, but then again I hate ties. Dress shirt and sportcoat are smart casual if you ask me.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
...left until Navigator of the Seas 11/13/04

Archived