Looking For Oahu Tips

birdcat

Hey Kids -

Will be flying into Honolulu on Thursday and looking for the best times to tour on Fri & Sat before the cruise (Sun). Want to do Pearl Harbor and Diamondhead on one day and Polynesian Cultural Center on the other. What would be the best times/days to do either and is there something else on the island that I would be disappointed if I missed?

Thanks.

My first trip to Hawaii is coming up and I have no idea if our plans will be successful or not. If you're renting a car you might want to check out http://www.alternative-hawaii.com and read about their drive it yourself tours. They seem pretty complete to me and I'm willing to give it a try on several of the islands. I emailed them about the ones on the Big Island and they've been very quick to respond. I was impressed since they aren't making any $ off of me. Good luck

I recommend getting a car and driving all the way around the Island. This time of year you will see big waves on the North Shore (Pipeline, et al), so get out and watch the surfers. You can drive yourself to the PCC instead of taking a bus. This way you can decide how long you want to stay. I would also recommend going to Punchbowl National Cemetary. It is moving, and also has one of the best views of Honolulu. The Aquarium in Waikiki is small, but has very good exhibits and is inexpensive ($6 or $7 each as I remember). It is an easy walk from here to the Waikiki beaches and shops so you may want to park your car near the aquarium and walk.

I think you'll find that doing Pearl Habor and Diamondhead in the same day isn't feasible, unless you only visit the Arizona Memorial. If you also visit the WWII submarine, USS Bowfin; the battleship, USS MIssouri, and the Punchbowl Cematery, you'll fill the day completely.

Plan a half day for Diamondhead and take water.

Would also agree that doing Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head on the same day probably isn't too realistic. Both are better done early in the morning and they're far enough apart that it isn't easy driving between the two.

You'd be better off doing Pearl Harbor one day, spending the rest of the day at the beach, and then doing Diamond Head early in the morning and then driving out to PCC to spend the rest of the day. Splinter also has some good recommendations. In addition, snorkeling at Hanauma Bay may be worthwhile as well as checking out the Pali Lookout, visiting Valley of the Temples, and dropping by Lanikai Beach (one of the most beautiful beaches in Hawaii). You may want to take a look for "Oahu Revealed" by Wizard Publications - just came out - to get more tips.

Spleen

Hi Kids -

Thanks for all your help - I think we will do one of those tour packages of Pearl Harbor for one day, take a cab to Diamondhead one morning and do the PCC the rest of that day.

I wan't planning on renting a car - Has anyone done the Bus and if so, how tough is it to get around? (I'm from NY City and use buses and trains all the time).

Thanks again.

You can check out some Oahu bus info at: http://www.thebus.org or call (808) 848-5555. I think I read that in Honolulu it's fine but if you're going to PCC it wouldn't work out very well. Does PCC offer transportation? The 2203 Frommer's book lists it as $15 roundtrip. You can call PCC at 1-800-293-3333 or http://www.polynesia.com

The Arizona memorial is free and the bus/trolley would be an easy way to get there. In otherwards, I wouldn't pay for a tour to take you there unless you plan on touring more than just the memorial. (Just my thoughts)

We plan to rent a car and drive to and then hike Diamondhead then drive up to the northshore to see the big waves and other sited along the way. We only have 1 day in Oahu and will have to see the memorial some other time. I still say to check out alternative-hawaii site to see what all you could see on your own by renting a car.

Have fun no matter what you decide.

• 1 month later...

We loved PCC we booked through our cruise line but "Robert's" provided the transportation so you could book yours that way too http://www.robertshawaii.com/

the packages can be a bit confusing here so if you book ahead (reccommended) check them out on the pcc http://www.polynesia.com click on "ticket packages" for a comprehensive list that will allow you to compare the inclusions with each package.

We had the ambassador package and felt it was well worth it. Lots of neat extras some of the best were the souvenir video and brochure, the pineapple deelite dessert during the night show, we got a kukui nut lei and a floral lei and great seats at the night show, a guided tour (we felt it really allowed us to see and learn far more than we could have on our own)and 5% off at their stores. Whatever you choose make sure that the package includes the luau and Horizon night show these really makes the experience and are absolute musts. As far as the island tours ask to see Samoa they climb a cocunut tree, build a fire with sticks, and show you how to crack open your cocunut amazing and amusing!!

Oh and if you take "Roberts" or another bus tour make sure to sit on the right hand side for incredible views of North Shore and China Man's Hat.

Our tour was from about 11am to 10:30pm roundtrip we did not see it all but saw enough that we felt it was well worth it. By the end of the night we were so tired it was nice to let someone else do the driving.

one last tip they take a lot of pictures that you can purchase at the end of the day but they are also very willing to take pictures of you with your own camera in the same places and poses just ask.

Tips

Archived