Grand Suite on Radiance for Alaska opinions..

Normally I would never even consider booking a Grand Suite because they are just out of our price league. But they are discounting the Alaska cruises so much that I am considering it. I told my dh that if we were going to do it, I think now would be the best time. It is at $3400 (2p) right now. I don't know if that is a real good deal or not. Considering our d-1 started at $4200 (3p) that seems pretty good. I looked at what they are booking at for 2010 and that isn't that much of a discount, but in general the prices are quite a bit lower than they were when we booked this one last April. I think they are reflecting the economy.

So, do you think it would be worth it? especially for Alaska when you are either running so much or sleeping because you're exhausted from running so much?:D

Normally I would never even consider booking a Grand Suite because they are just out of our price league. But they are discounting the Alaska cruises so much that I am considering it. I told my dh that if we were going to do it' date=' I think now would be the best time. It is at $3400 (2p) right now. I don't know if that is a real good deal or not. Considering our d-1 started at $4200 (3p) that seems pretty good. I looked at what they are booking at for 2010 and that isn't that much of a discount, but in general the prices are quite a bit lower than they were when we booked this one last April. I think they are reflecting the economy.

So, do you think it would be worth it? especially for Alaska when you are either running so much or sleeping because you're exhausted from running so much?:D[/quote']

We LOVED our GS on the Radiance we were in the room right next to the CL so it was easy to utilize close to elevators nice location.We were on the 14 day member cruise in 2007.Wonderful room,,people,and scenery.Get the GS it will be worth it . Ruth :D That was room #1052 ;)

For that price I would definitely go for the GS, but only you know your wallet.:)

We have had 1060 (on the same cruise as RBour) and 1600 on the Radiance class ships (only Radiance and Brilliance have 1060 as a GS BTW). 1600 is superior for viewing - it's on the stern of the ship and has commanding views of the scenery - on glacier or sea days you won't find a better place on the ship to watch.

1060 is conveniently located, and has a HUGE balcony, but you won't get much use out of it unless it's warm and/or you have company (we did). The Concierge Lounge is a nice perk for the full suites, as is the coffee press that got us going while we were still in our jammies. I hated the Captain's morning announcements from there, though - there is a loudspeaker on the wall of the balcony and it rousted us out of bed every day.:mad:

As for running around, it was wonderful to have a nice cabin to relax in after a full day of riding horses or flightseeing.

I have pictures of both suites in the link in my signature.:)

Go for it. You'll never know it you will get the chance again.

We had a GS on our Alaskan cruise located across from the CL and right next to the RS. Memorial Day time frame. It was wonderful for the viewing. Coming into Juneau we could see Bald Eagles sittting in the trees, on Hubbard Glacier day we could watch the glacier calving from our balcony and when the ship turned 180 degrees we went across to the CL and watched from the windows there. Grabbed an Expresso and went back to our cabin when the ship turned back around. At the C&A party that night the Capt said that by using the GPS system, computers, and the azipods we were able to keep the center of rotation at the glacier to within one foot.

1600 is superior for viewing - it's on the stern of the ship and has commanding views of the scenery - on glacier or sea days you won't find a better place on the ship to watch.

And you are really making me smile as I will be in that stateroom to Alaska in only a couple of months.:D

To the OP, I would book the GS at $3,400 as long as it is not going to kill your budget. For roundtrip Serenade (which is usually more expensive than the one-ways) when Alaska 2009 bookings opened the junior suites, what we originally booked, were higher priced than that. Thanks to price drops and residency discounts, we are now paying LESS for a grand suite than we would have paid for the junior suite AND we get all the suite benefits.

We LOVED our GS on the Radiance we were in the room right next to the CL so it was easy to utilize close to elevators nice location.We were on the 14 day member cruise in 2007.Wonderful room,,people,and scenery.Get the GS it will be worth it . Ruth :D That was room #1052 ;)

THank you all for your help. 1050 & 1052 are available but not 1060. That $3400 is actually the senior rate and is $600 less than what the "younger" folks would pay. Guess I'll have to keep workin' on the dh.;)

Archived