Alcohol in Staterooms

cats36

:o Has anyone brought their own alcohol onboard a RCCL ship? Did it work out okay? Has anyone ever had it confiscated? Any tips or stories?

How about wine and soft drinks?

Thanks,

Margaret:p

:o Has anyone brought their own alcohol onboard a RCCL ship? Did it work out okay? Has anyone ever had it confiscated? Any tips or stories?

Thanks,

On my first cruise, my cabinmate convinced me to bring along a bottle of vodka. I put it in my checked bag, got it through without issue and our steward never questioned us or took it away. We were sailing in January, not spring break time. You might get it through, but don't get mad if they catch you and take it away.

I had a little of it, but those ships are huge and I was not going to walk back to our stateroom everytime I wanted a drink. It was just too much hassle to me. Top-shelf drinks are about $8.00 and some change. That is cheaper than the drinks in Washington, so I don't mind paying. That is my 2 cents on the issue.

They don't care about soft drinks or water.

We do it everytime, we pack a suitcase with all of our Grey Goose and beers and diet coke cans. Cabin attendants could care less. Then I use the suitcase for all my stuff that we bought while cruising or for the dirty laundry

Monarch 6/97

Monarch 7/99

Adventure 2/03

Nordic 8/03

Voyager 7/04

Exlorer 07/05

Exlorer 07/06

Exlorer 07/07

Liberty 02/08

Exlorer 02/09

Exlporer 07/09

Oasis 02/10

I was on the Freedom of the seas March 22-29th, 2009... was scared to death to sneak liquor on.... but I was going to sneak it on no matter what....... we brought... a little cube wine box from Taget.... and Everclear in a old alcohol anteseptic bottle.... Vodka in Mary Kay makeup remover bottle, Vodka in a old Mylanta Bottle, and Rum in a old spray gel bottle(I would suggest soaking the bottle for a while) I don't full understnad why the cruiselines worry or care about this stuff.. we still spent another $ 600 on the boat....and if you park your car in port you pay another $140.oo to get your car out... Royal Caribbean and every other ship is making a killing off of everyone... a good $3,500... Having to snake liquor on is Bull****.... everyone is paying the price to be on the boat....*****!!!!

Thanks,

We have brought it on every cruise. dark liquors in plastic ice tea bottles, and clear in 7-up or water bottles. We put them in zip locks, buy a roll of bubble wrap from walmart and wrap them in that also. Make sure they are in the checked baggage :p RCCL lets you take on soda. We carried a 12 pack of diet coke and water on the freedom. Good luck!

This seems to be a never ending topic, my wife and I have been on 9 RCCL cruises and have NEVER had an issue with bringing wine or a bottle on board. We do not hide it, put it in our carry-on and simply board. Perhaps if you try to bring an entire bar, they might get peeved, but a reasonable amount, no problem. Maybe we have just been lucky; it is a different story if you purchase alcohol on shore, they will confiscate and give to you the last night of the cruise.

After more than 25 cruises, I have never tried to bring "illegal" alcohol aboard a ship. Even on those cruises that allowed a bottle or two of wine per cabin, we have always been "rushing" in the last day to finish up our wine...I've even taken it home with me.

That being said, I know that the cruise lines (all of them) make a good margin of their weekly profit in their sale of alcohol. CNBC had a great feature program on this a couple of weeks ago. Your cruise fare is not enough for any cruise line to make a profit (amazingly). A good part of their profit comes from the onboard sale of "extras," such as alcohol.

Each "division" (bar sales, spa, shore excursions) has a target figure or quota to make each day/week in order for the cruise to make a profit for that sailing. I believe the cruise line needs to make about $8 day per person (includes the weekly "soda card") in beverage sales to just break even in this division.

So, when you "smuggle" in alcohol, they see it as significantly dipping into their profit. That said, I have only seen alcohol confiscated 2 times, both found in carry-on luggage.

Let's be real" the cruise lines just aren't using "alcohol" seeking sniffer dogs :cool:, so the chances are they just aren't going to find it in your non-carry-on luggage. It's just a personal issue. We just don't drink enough to even bother bringing any aboard (and honesty would not feel comfortable in any case...just us...no judgment intended). As such, we aren't contributing much to the cruise lines profit in this area either:rolleyes:.

you are not allowed to take alcohol of any type on the ship.

You can only purchase Beer and whine for your room. If you have your owne bottle they are afraid you will not spend all yoru money in the bar.

just be ready for a beg bar bill.

Have fun

Matt

Archived