Another Beach Question

cruzingduo

We stopped at St Kitts last year on a cruise and fell in love with the island. We took a tour thru the ship on a 4x4 Truck. It was a great overview of the island for us as first timers. We stopped for some beach time at Cocklebeach. We saw from the hilltop the Marriot beach and said Wow!

We are sailing next month and are stopping at St Kitts again and can't decide between the Marriott or Cockleshell. I do remember when we were there last year (Jan 2008) the restroom was locked at Cockleshell beach. That's a must for us as well as some shade, either from an unbrella or tree.

How much would a cab be to the beach at the Marriott? Does anyone know the price for a chair & umbrella rental?

Same questions for Cockleshell Beach.

Any advice to help us make our decision?

Thanks, Explorer 4-26-09

Definitely go to Cockleshell Beach! There are washroom facilities at Reggae Beach Bar and the new Spice Mill Restaurant.

Beach chairs and umbrellas are $5 USD at Reggae Beach Bar.

Thanks, I collect shells so I'm sure I'll like it. Have you been to the beach at Marriott?

We were at South Friars beach last week. Loved it! Beautiful, uncrowded. lil hut selling cold drinks, Carib Beers $2.00, rented umbrellas & chairs but we just put our towels on the sand. Tons of shells, great beach for collecting shells.

• 2 weeks later...
We were at South Friars beach last week. Loved it! Beautiful, uncrowded. lil hut selling cold drinks, Carib Beers $2.00, rented umbrellas & chairs but we just put our towels on the sand. Tons of shells, great beach for collecting shells.

How do the shells compare to those found at Sanibel Island, Florida?

Jack-Sorry I cannot say having never been to Sanibel island

Did you collect-scotch bonnet, sun venus clam, king's crown, fighting conch, pear whelk, buttercup, lace murex, shark's eye moon, juvenile horse conch, banded tulip, coquina shells, calico scallop, fig, lion's paw, lettered olive and junonia? We have acquired all of the aforesaid except the junonia, which is very elusive.

Also, is the taking of live shells proscribed?

Did you collect-scotch bonnet, sun venus clam, king's crown, fighting conch, pear whelk, buttercup, lace murex, shark's eye moon, juvenile horse conch, banded tulip, coquina shells, calico scallop, fig, lion's paw, lettered olive and junonia? We have acquired all of the aforesaid except the junonia, which is very elusive.

Also, is the taking of live shells proscribed?

Hi Jack-I don't think we found any of the varieties you mentioned. I just looked at our shell book the (Golden "pocket" Guide from St. Martin's Press Seashells of the World" and here's what I think we found. Some triton, true limpets & keyhole limpets, ark, cockles, slit/, turban, & west indian turkey wing shells. I might be incorrect on the identification. You probably know a lot more about shells than we do. We are casual collectors at best. I will say though the beach was l"littered" with shells & we didn't arrive until miday. There were a few people there & some had been collecting shells. I understand the best finds are found early in the AM.

Hope this helps,

Dawg

We are proscribed from the harvesting of live shells in SWFL; hence, the reason for my inquiry. Our processing method is simple: (1) dip the shells in boiling water for ten seconds, and then cool quicklyl; (2) place in a solution of 2 parts baby oil and 1 part lighter fluid, and allow same to remain in the aforesaid container for about 12 hours; and, (3) spread on paper towels to dry. Also, attempt to avoid displaying them in direct sunlight.

Lastly, in our area, the best shelling time is at low tide, or after a storm.

Jack-Here's what we've done which might be totally wrong, to disinfect & clean our collected shells. We bring them home in ziplock baggies. Sometimes some of them will have a funky smell, espically after having been in a baggie & in our luggage for a week or more. I put them in a glass bowl with water & a little bleach for a few minutes then rinse off with water. Sometimes I'll use an old toothbrush and dish soap and scrub them lightly with tap water. You mention keeping them out of sunlight, why? Because of Fading?

Boiling them removes the smell; and, immersion in the solution restores their color. And, keeping them from direct sunlight exposure reduces fading.

Jack, we visit Sanibel for 2 months (Oct & Nov) every year. I have found all of the shells you meantioned in Sanibel. Last year I found 2 perfect junonia's and so did my husband. Very unusual, 4 in 1 year. From 20 years of shelling in Sanibel we now have 7 junonia's. In March we stopped in Antigua and did some shelling and I found a beautiful triton and yellow lion's paws. In Sanibel I have found orange, rasberry and purple lion's paws, but never a yellow one. I am a shelling addict and love to walk the beaches in all the islands we stop at and look for different shells. Recently I found whole good size (2 sided) sunrise tellins in Grand Caymen.

So you live in Sanibel?? Are you addicted like me? :)

Archived