Approach Baths from land or sea?

dizneykids

Can anyone comment on the advantages of approaching the Baths from the sea (with Patouche) as opposed to land (via Speedys or Smiths and taxi)? I worry that coming in from the sea, we'll end up going against the grain in touring the Baths.

Hi

If you approach by the sea, you will be going against 'the grain' of traffic through the Baths and if there is a lot of people, that can be a real pain. It's not far to swim in, but if it's rough, it may not be so fun. The advantage is you could have more time at the Baths. If you go by Ferry, you also have to take a taxi and waiting and connecting takes time. We did the Ferry, walked down and through the Baths, spent time on Devils Beach and then walked the path back to the top rather than back through the Baths.

Also, when you go through the Baths, be sure to explore off the 'main path'. There are some really neat formations etc that a lot of people miss. enjoy!

I've seen people landing by dinghy from sailboats anchored off the main beach at the Baths. They get in really close to the beach (knee deep water). I don't know if your tour does this? It does avoid the climb up and down, if that is a concern.

• 5 weeks later...
Can anyone comment on the advantages of approaching the Baths from the sea (with Patouche) as opposed to land (via Speedys or Smiths and taxi)? I worry that coming in from the sea, we'll end up going against the grain in touring the Baths.

We went to the Baths with Patouche in march this year. I swam in from the catamaran using there supplied flippers and snorkel gear. Branston from Patouche took a group on a snorkeling tour but I went in solo direct to the beach. I also used the supplied floats which made it really easy. My wife swam in with me but did not use flippers and found it quite hard going near the beach but made it. Others took the dingy right up on to the beach and my wife came back that way. Branston also took us on a tour of the Baths which was very informative and we notice those who went solo were just wandering through and probably did not get the best from it. We motored over to the Baths but we sailed backed. My wife who does not like boats! said it was the best excursion we did

We went to the Baths with Patouche in march this year. I swam in from the catamaran using there supplied flippers and snorkel gear. Branston from Patouche took a group on a snorkeling tour but I went in solo direct to the beach. I also used the supplied floats which made it really easy. My wife swam in with me but did not use flippers and found it quite hard going near the beach but made it. Others took the dingy right up on to the beach and my wife came back that way. Branston also took us on a tour of the Baths which was very informative and we notice those who went solo were just wandering through and probably did not get the best from it. We motored over to the Baths but we sailed backed. My wife who does not like boats! said it was the best excursion we did

Some photos attached to give you a feel for the distance

P3050167.jpg.33f5159474770a76fae9a86a2dd6b102.jpg

P3050168.jpg.b25cab39fde63821c45120162060489c.jpg

Some clarification please...am I to understand that you had an option of swimming in or taking a dinghy in to the beach? I am just about booked on this & I thought that we had no choice but to swim/wade in. I like the option. What advantages did you think you had with approaching by water..rather then by land, if any. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Some clarification please...am I to understand that you had an option of swimming in or taking a dinghy in to the beach? I am just about booked on this & I thought that we had no choice but to swim/wade in. I like the option. What advantages did you think you had with approaching by water..rather then by land, if any. Any other comments would be appreciated.

That is correct; there were 3 options. Patouche has its own anchorage at The Baths. One group went of with Branston, one of the crew, on a snorkeling tour through the rocks, myself, my wife and 2 others swam direct into the beach (too deep to wade) and about 5 went to shore in the dinghy. We all met up and Branston took us through the Baths. Going back about half swam and the other half took the dinghy which did 3 trips then we sailed back to Tortola. Patouche supply all the gear and as I said above I used the floatation bands- did not look cool:cool: but it made the swim effortless

Have not approached by land but those on the cruise that did said it was very busy getting down and then back up. The only thing about the water entry is you need a waterproof camera or waterproof bag cos you wil get wet (obvious statement really)You can safely leave valuables, passports etc on the catamaran- on land you will be stuck with those.

Patouche provided beer, rum punch:) and water and also good local knowledge both at the Baths and on the crossing pointing out the islands. We would have liked more time at The Baths it seemed to go really quickly but with Tortola being a 3pm departure for the cruise we would not have got much more time going ferry/taxi/walk

That is correct; there were 3 options. Patouche has its own anchorage at The Baths. One group went of with Branston, one of the crew, on a snorkeling tour through the rocks, myself, my wife and 2 others swam direct into the beach (too deep to wade) and about 5 went to shore in the dinghy. We all met up and Branston took us through the Baths. Going back about half swam and the other half took the dinghy which did 3 trips then we sailed back to Tortola. Patouche supply all the gear and as I said above I used the floatation bands- did not look cool:cool: but it made the swim effortless

Have not approached by land but those on the cruise that did said it was very busy getting down and then back up. The only thing about the water entry is you need a waterproof camera or waterproof bag cos you wil get wet (obvious statement really)You can safely leave valuables, passports etc on the catamaran- on land you will be stuck with those.

Patouche provided beer, rum punch:) and water and also good local knowledge both at the Baths and on the crossing pointing out the islands. We would have liked more time at The Baths it seemed to go really quickly but with Tortola being a 3pm departure for the cruise we would not have got much more time going ferry/taxi/walk

I just got home yesterday, and I did the daysail with Patouche. It ranks as one of my all-time favorite excursions (I've done over 10 cruises). Their staff is top notch. We did not go against the grain of traffic inside the Baths, and Branson is very knowledgeable. It made it so much better, than just walking through it by yourself. Tortola was the highlight of my cruise, thanks to Patouch and its fine staff.

Joanne

Thanks for all the valuable insight...I think we are going to go ahead & book this trip...1 more quick question..do you think we should do 1/2 day (was there enough time) or should I go ahead and book the full day excursion? What did you do? Thanks for your help! Trish

We went with Patouche last week when we stopped in tortola on the freedom. It was probably one of the best excursions I have ever done. The crew was great, the included Heineken was awesome. It's not a difficuly swim in, especially with fins. Sailing back to Tortola was awesome. I would recommend Patouche to anyone. No one on our trip required the dingy, We all swam in. To quote Branson, we had "No Worries"

Thanks for all the valuable insight...I think we are going to go ahead & book this trip...1 more quick question..do you think we should do 1/2 day (was there enough time) or should I go ahead and book the full day excursion? What did you do? Thanks for your help! Trish

We did the half day returning to the ship at 1200 - I think in hindsight it was just enough time. The taxi back from Patouche took us round the island with photos stops so that was a bonus. I have seen some bad press about patouche on this site but our experience was all positive. I must correct my spelling of Branston now its Branson as in Richard Branson as he was born on his private Island. AS I said this was my wife's favorite excursion and she does not like small boats. It was well worth the money. The decision on full or half really depends on sailing time- we arrived 0700 and picked up taxi at 0730 (island time) we were back on board by 1300 which was great for us

My husband does not know how to swim, is there a way to make sure we can take the dingy? Also, what are your thoughts on this excursion for kids? Ages 6 and 14

Contact Julie by phone she is very nice and helpful before you commit. We have two boys who did not come with us but they would have loved this trip. The sail across and back was part of the fun and very informative and safe

If your kids are reasonable swimmers they will love this and the crew really do take care of you throughout. One of our party was very scared of the water but she, with the help of the crew, managed the dinghy and the tour of the Baths- I could bore you all and post the link to my photos but I won't. This was the best excursion of our trip on Freedom.

Has anyone done the full day with Patouche?? Not big snorkelers and not sure if it is worth the added afternoon of snorkeling if we are not. Sometimes it is just as much fun even if you do not snorkel. Any feedback is appreciated.

We were also on the Freedom a couple of weeks ago and went to the Baths.I'm 57,in medium shape but with bad legs.The trip by land down to the water was not bad,going through the Baths was hard,but the trip back up almost did me in.If you are in good shape,go by land.But if not,go by boat.

It is a great place to go and we will go again some day but will take the easier way the next time.

• Administrators
I personally thought that the 1/2 day was just perfect for me. Just enough snorkeling time.

Joanne

The half day was plenty for us, too -- we had a wonderful time with Patouche. I didn't feel we were going "against the grain" of other visitors. Actually when we were all done and back on Patouche's catamaran with our libations, we saw MANY people then arriving with ship excursions (NCL and Princess) -- like this snorkel group, and by the time I found my camera to take this snapshot, the majority of this very large group had reached shore

2196644720101795198S500x500Q85.jpg

Archived