GCT Itinerary change shock.

Penzance

The best laid plans of Mice and Men!! After months of research, checking details, itineraries and costs etc. We finally chose GCT "Russian Waterways" River Cruise because they had hotel stays in both Moscow and in St.Petersburg and our preference to cruise Moscow to St.P's direction. We have everything booked, and paid for, including flights and seats and separate travel insurance.

Well today, came the shocking news that GCT has changed our itinerary to "Russia Revealed " which sails from St.Petersburg to Moscow, with all fourteen nights aboard the ship and changed our flights with an extra stop-over on the outward journey. We are now trying to contact GCT for an explanation!

Has anyone else received this change of itinerary and ship?

The best laid plans of Mice and Men!! After months of research, checking details, itineraries and costs etc. We finally chose GCT "Russian Waterways" River Cruise because they had hotel stays in both Moscow and in St.Petersburg and our preference to cruise Moscow to St.P's direction. We have everything booked, and paid for, including flights and seats and separate travel insurance.

We are now trying to contact GCT for an explanation!

LOTS OF LUCK !! I get the impression that the BEST thing GCT could do is burn the BOSTON office to the ground!!! The rest of the company is GREAT. It seems to me that either the staff doesn't give a damn, or the head doesn't know what the hands are doing or what the mouth is saying. NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ON THE SAME PAGE OF THE SCRIPT!!! And one more thing that only one who has traveled with GCT/OAT can attest to. THE MAIL!!! Yesterday alone I threw out 3 pieces of mail, and Saturday 3 pieces one of which was a 40 page "Ocean Cruises" catalog. Don't know when your trip is but if not in the next 10 days you may well have further flight changes.

Can I assume that you have had bad dealings with GCT in the past? I have already had a few emails back and forth with GCT and spoken with three different people in Boston. They had transferred our booking to fourteen days on the ship, (instead of hotel stays in both Moscow and St.Petersburg - which was the only reason we chose GCT in the first place) and in the opposite direction on the river, which meant different flights and times. Then they ended up telling me "we have great news! We have reduced the cost of your trip!!" (as though it were compensation for the changes) But, the "Russia Revealed" trip has always been cheaper than the "Russian Waterways" trip we had booked and paid for! So they were just planning to refund the overpayment. I found that they still had the Moscow to St.Petersburg cruise, leaving two weeks later, so we decided to postpone our trip. Now I am fighting to get good flights, times and seats!! Wouldn't it be nice if they offerred us some compensation for all the aggravation?

GCT home office is famous for sticking it to you. A few years ago, we were on a Rhone River "cruise" that never sailed because the water level was too high. They knew about it for weeks, but let us come and be bussed every day to the scheduled stop and back to the marooned ship. Never got a penny or credit for the river cruise by bus! Good luck dealing with these inflexible, consumer be dammed people.....

Oh dear, I bet everyone was really upset, especaially when GCT knew about it weeks before. They probably kept silent because people would have had enough time to cancel if they knew. I am hoping they will come through for us as this long-time planned trip, is on our "Bucket List" and will probably be the only time (or resources) we will have to Russia. Their reputation is at stake!

In regards to the GCT home office in Boston, unfortunately, they laid off what seemed to be some of their better people in November. Unless you are assiged to a group, it's next to impossible to speak with the same person every time you call. And, until you have sailed with them at least 3 times, your calls won't even be answered quickly. It's not unusual to be on hold for over an hour.

Attention GCT! Your customer service really is lacking and needs a HUGE improvement!

Good luck to the OP. I hope you don't let all of this ruin your trip. GCT does do a lot of stuff right but too many people don't find that out because they get so disgusted before they even book.

The "home" office is why we've traveled once and only once with Grand Circle----after numerous problems including losing our check then finding it after we had stopped payment on it and accusing us of fraud even before our trip started!! (there were many many letters of complaint sent by our group ---90% office mix-ups!)

Trip to Australia was great in spite of them but we prefer traveling with the other sibling at Vantage (7times!!)

I am still fighting for decent air routes and times for our "GCT changed" river cruise, and so far, we have received three different schedules, incorrect dates and times - all of which were unacceptable (like a seven hour wait at one airport) Plus, another large "travel handbook" for the trip they changed and we found unacceptable. I am now concerned that they will issue an acceptable flight itinerary, just to appease us, then change the flights at the last minute when it's too late to find a suitable alternative.

During our search for a Russian river cruise, we did consider Vantage, but really wanted hotel stays in both Moscow and St.Petersburg. This was the sole reason for choosing GCT. We can only hope, like the previous poster mentions - our trip will be great in spite of Boston's inefficiency.

I also think the words "compensation for aggrevation" is not in their Customer Satisfaction handbook.

Just out of curiosity, did you consider Viking? They offer pre- and post-hotels on their Volga River cruises, and I've always had great luck with Viking and their customer service. We're leaving on a Viking Elbe River cruise in a couple of days. They also reversed the itinerary on us after we had purchased non-refundable airline tickets. Their customer service bent over backward to accommodate us with additional flights to coincide with their reversed itinerary, and of course they paid the entire cost of these additional flights.

Yes, I did consider Viking, and most all of the other River Cruise companies, and finally chose GCT. I was surpirsed to hear Viking also reversed your booked itinerary but pleased to hear you were satisfied with their customer service. Did they add, and pay for, additional flights to your original flights? Not a nice thought!

Penzance,

I was sorry to read about your mess with GCT. We have signed up for Russia Revealed and our service, flights, etc. have been fine. Friends of ours who signed up for another company's trip cancelled their plans completely because of poor service and what they perceived would be a poor trip. They lost their deposits but felt it ws worth it. So, perhaps the whole industry needs a rehaul and certainly a course in good customer service. I hope your trip is ironed out soon and you will be able to cross something off your "bucket List" to your satisfaction.

Donna

Thank you for your kind wishes. What is really annoying is that we chose GCT solely because they were staying in hotels in Moscow and St.Petersburg. Our second choice was either Viking or Vantage. I don't think that any of the river cruises stay in hotels now-a-days. Today we received an advertisment from Viking for almost the exact same Russsian river cruise (which we are now booked on with GCT) for a lot less and it includes many of the GCT optional tours. Ah well - it's the Peter Principle at work!

Initially we were going to do a Russia trip with Viking because we had done Tulips and Windmills with them and thoroughly enjoyed it. We received a two-for-one ad and when we tried to book it all the cabins for the summer months appeared to be taken. That was for the Pakomov which hasn't been restored yet. We then decided on GCT and everything has been fine. Hope you enjoy whatever trip you do!! I asked for and received train stations for both Moscow and St Petersburg so we hope to be able to explore a little on our own and have booked a private day with Bella at Tourdeforce.travel instead of paying GCT for added goup excursions. The main thing is to ENJOY!

Donna:

I am happy to hear your booking with GCT went smoothly. I am still waiting to hear from the Head Office, but at least we have decent flights booked - and hopefully they won't be changed at the last moment. Not sure when you are going but I did put a message in the

"All Other Cruise Line Roll Call" forum for July 23 2009 Moscow to St.Petersburg. No responses yet though!

We were also booked on the Russian Waterways cruise, which was cancelled. However, GCT offered us a complete refund as we could not go on the changed dates. It took a few weeks, but we did receive a full refund without any problem whatsoever.

• 1 year later...

Archived