Best activities for a photographer?

My mother-in-law and my daughter (also an adult) will be going with us on a cruise to St. John / St. Thomas and Tortola. Both of them have an obsession with photography and really nice cameras. I think they're both hoping for opportunities to take some nature/wildlife/beach photos, so I'm looking for any recommendations for natural settings with leisurely walking tours. Self-paced would be a plus.

I know these islands are spectacular just about everywhere you go, but are there any locations that are particularly photogenic?

We're also going in June (!!!), so heat is going to be an issue, I think. (I can hear the "o rly? u think?!" already. :D)

(x-posted to Tortola board -- hope that's okay)

I'd suggest heading to St. John. Most of the island is a U.S. National Park and there are hiking trails on the island that would suit your needs perfectly. One of them is Lind Point Trail -- you can get to it from the ferry dock.

The National Park Service visitors center is also near the ferry dock -- about a 5-10 minute walk. They might be able to give you additional ideas.

A National Park Service trail map of St. John is attached.

And don't worry about getting to St. John. It's easy! :) It's accessible by ferry from St. Thomas and there are plenty of posts in this forum that will give you specific information on ferry schedules and information on how to get from the cruise ship dock to the ferry.

VIISmap1.pdf

I've hiked the Lind Point Trail, and I didn't think it had many photo ops. I took a picture of Cruz Bay from the lookout, a picture of a mountain dove, a picture of a hermit crab that I saw along the trail, and some photos of the beach. If you keep walking (after spending time at the beach, of course!) to the Caneel Resort property, you can take great photos of the lovely plantation ruins, and some unusual tropical flowers. There are also supposed to be some donkeys on the property, but I didn't see any when I was there.

Another option would be to take a tour to St Peter's Great House and botanical garden on St Thomas. You can get an idea of what you'll see from their website: http://www.greathouse-mountaintop.com The views are incredible, and there's a nature trail with orchids and other tropical flowers. Lots of steps, though, since it's on a mountain! Most ships offer a tour that includes The Greathouse, so that's probably the easiest way to do it since few cabs like to take people there.

The tour at Blackbeard's Castle is another good photo op. You can take the tour if you're in town, and you'll get great shots of the harbor, their pirate statues, flowers, iguanas, and if you're lucky, hummingbirds. The self-guided tour for $12 includes use of their pools, a tiny rum factory, rum tastings, free rum punch, and interior tours of several restored homes. This might be the most affordable option, especially if you want into town from the dock.

gingerbreadgirl, you might want to see if you can find a taxi driver who'll take your group on a private tour. That way you could do The Greathouse, and Blackbeard's Castle plus maybe somewhere else like the scenic overlook on Skyline or at the University. You would need to negotiate a rate.

I am a photographer & throughly enjoyed my daysail with Kathleen of Highpockets. The ride to Red Hook has some beautiful beaches & you cross the mountain. The drivers will stop for photos along the way. Then the marina & sailing to secluded beaches was awesome. We are going back again in November. I only took my small camera last time, next time now that I know what to expect & don't have to worry about damaging my pro camera I'll take it.

Archived