RE: Overseas bookings

crazylarry

I did.

Well, actually, I booked through the Celebrity website (which detects immediately from which country you are and adapts prices), the to pay I had to go through a local TA.

Why do you want to book not through the US? I am looking for ways to book through the US because the pries are better + service is better.

(the whole local process of confirming and paying and changing dining seating has been a real nightmare!)

Because the exchange rate for the dollar is really good. I was quoted a price in British pounds and with the conversion its lower than the prices here.

Don't expect to get price drops as you would by booking with a US TA. There was a thread on here recently where the op was being charged the new price just to change cabin numbers within the same catagory.:eek:

Has anyone ever booked a Celebrity cruise through a TA not in the U.S.? I'm considering doing it.

What are the pitfalls if any (other than knowing that the exchange rate fluctuates)?

Thanks.

One of the major problems would occur if you decide to cancel after booking. There is rarely a way to do so without losing your entire deposit - even if you do so long before final payment is due.

Pitfalls are similar to any agency booking - requests have to be directed through the agent. I had to deal locally instead of with representatives about an issue, and it was very difficult to get it resolved. In your case, that will add complications as the time zone won't correlate with your usual times.

Learnt this the hard way....

When you book, look at the bottom of the home page these is a little link that says "not from ........." click on it and change the country to USA, this will override the assumption the browser is making as to what country you are in, and you can place the entire reservation as a US resident, giving you alot more flexibility to mamage your reservation on-line.

The advantage is also that your US card is charged in $ and you dont have to pay the excange rate charge MC/VISA/AMEX charges.

( I presume you are also US living overseas)

Has anyone ever booked a Celebrity cruise through a TA not in the U.S.? I'm considering doing it.

What are the pitfalls if any (other than knowing that the exchange rate fluctuates)?

Thanks.

You can´t just tipp in your information and have a reservation.

Most is in arrangement with a TA.

Every firm has their own policy.

The price you see on the website is your final price.

In Austria you will have to pay 20% of your final price additionally.

In case you would like to book with an Austrian TA.

Don't get me started on that . Right now my computer shows prices for my August 8th Equinox cruise which are a few hundreds $$ less p/p than the price I was able to secure through my US agent. Celebrity refuses to honor them claiming that the prices go with the agent, not the customer.

Archived