Has anyone had any experience rental a wheelchair that is delivered to the ship

stuNYC

RSSC will not provide my wife with a "dedicated" wheelchair that we can take off the ship. We don't own one because she only needs it when she has to walk long distances (ie, in port) I now that certain companies rent wheelchair that they will deliver to the ship. Has anyone had any experience with renting a wheelchair in this manner. I really don't want to buy one or travel on the plane with it.

There are lots of replies to you question on this board, as believe it or not it is a very common question. So you might want to do a search for more detailed answers. And, depending on your situation, the ports of call and your stamina you (or your wife) might want to consider renting a motorized scooter for the cruise.

Basically there are two companies that will deliver to the ship.

Scoot Around

http://www.scootaround.com/

Care Vacations/Cruise Ship Assist

http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/

Of the two I get more positive feedback about Care Vacations.

Candy Harrington

CareVacations delivered a scooter for my brother-in-law to the Glory in Port Canaveral last spring. I believe they rent wheelchairs too. They were very easy to deal with. The scooter was delivered to, and picked up from, his cabin.

We just got off Jewel of the Seas. CareVacations provided lots of wheelchairs. The back of the Chair had the name of the ship stenciled on it with CareVacations written below it. I had bought my own wheelchair and the leg rest was damaged when my husband wheeled me into a ramp (Luckily, I had lifted my foot). We called the maintenance department on the ship and asked if they would hammer it out, or if we could use their equipment and they refused. Guest relations loaned me one of the Care Vacations wheelchairs and it worked fine.

My husband took the leg rest from my wheelchair and bent it back into shape, using the metal railing on our balcaony. I took great delight in then calling maintenance to fix and repaint the railing.

I heard a lot about Carevacations, and Carnival even recommended them. I just got off the phone with them, as I wanted some info for our cruise in March. (Soulmate needs chair for distances).

They say to book at least 30 days in advance and basically need person's name, height and weight. (and of course cruise info!) Payment due at time of booking. I was quoted $225 for our 8-night cruise.

Scooter will be in cabin waiting, I guess that means it will be on board before us! What a bummer!!

Kathy

I just booked my second scooter from Care Vacations (they are located in Canada)...we used them for a Carribean cruise lat January..and we are using them in Feb for a 15 day cruise to Hawaii...they were great..if you have any questions or problems with their equipemnt they give you a Phone number to call in port and someone will come fix the problem...prior to needing a scooter I had rented w/c from them, also no problemss. You never want to take a rental scooter off the ship (batteries have a way of running low in the most inconvienent places..and if some scooters get wet (rain) they dont work well...so if you have a manual w/c take it along.

Have a great trip

Hi StuNYC,

We rented a wheelchair from CareVacations.com last November for a Princess Cruise. I took my own scooter, and rented the manual wheelchair for shore excursions, and tender transfers. I ordered it about two months in advance of our cruise, paid with a credit card, and it was waiting in our cabin, with instructions, and information to contact the local rep if we noticed any problems. There were no problems. It was wonderfully convenient service, and the people I spoke to on the phone were very nice. We were instructed to leave the chair in the cabin when we disembarked, and we did. They rent wheelchairs, manual and battery, scooters, and other assistive devices. It is all listed on their website, along with the phone number to call for reservations. I believe my first question to them was asked and answered very promptly, by email.

Good luck, and have a great cruise!

As many of suggested, I rented a wheelchair for my upcoming cruise from Care Vacations. There were very pleasant and based on your posts I expect the service to be excellent. The price for 10 days was somewhat high $95, but I have no frame of reference. All I know is they must make a very handsome profit on their service. That wheelchair will have paid for itself very quickly. I shouldn't complain because I need the service and their is a competent provider.

Thank you again for your help

May you all have beautiful skies and calm seas on all your future cruises!

The price being high is relative. It costs about $10 per person to rent a beach chair at most resorts, which can turn over several times a day. It costs about $15 to rent $75 worth of snorkling gear. A lot of what you pay for is the service - the pickup and delivery and knowing that there will be backup if there is a problem.

You just might consider renting a wheelchair in your home town prior to departure. We did this a couple of years ago and found it to be a life saver. My DH needed it through the airport and I heaped the carry-ons on his lap. They checked the chair right at the entrance to the plane and the chair was there when we got off the plane to go to the cruise port. Later when we had to wait on a few things it was nice for him to have somewhere to sit down and rest (he is an amputee). Since then, we have both purchased electric scooters which make everything a whole different ball-game! But it doesn't take long to learn the tricks of the trade in getting the scooters from one place to another and everyone seems to always be very accomodating. Good luck in your decision. By the way, our wheelchair rental in our hometown was $26.00 for two weeks, which we thought was a great price.

Guest cruzr44
As many of suggested, I rented a wheelchair for my upcoming cruise from Care Vacations. There were very pleasant and based on your posts I expect the service to be excellent. The price for 10 days was somewhat high $95, but I have no frame of reference. All I know is they must make a very handsome profit on their service. That wheelchair will have paid for itself very quickly. I shouldn't complain because I need the service and their is a competent provider.

We just paid $95 for a seven night. Much easier than bringing one from home.

Archived