New to MSC line

lubyshell

Hello Everyone, we are contemplating the March 2010 Caribbean crusie on the Poesia, because of the wonderful ports and to be quite frank the price is much easier on the wallet. We will be travelling with DD 4 and DS 17. We have only sailed Carnival and Disney in the past so any insight you can give me would be greatly appreciated. This cruise will be DS's HS graduation gift so I want to make sure he has a nice time:)

Thank you all very much

It will be a lot quieter but more relaxing than the 2 lines you mentioned. Also expect less constant activity. I'd say that MSC is at the other end of the spectrum from Carnival - decor wise, atmosphere, music and much much more.

Also expect more nationalities onboard and therefore announcement in 5 languages (but thankfully few of them). Shows are brilliant but again have to cater for many nationalities so are mainly visual or musical or both.

MSC is not an American line and isn't trying to be one either. The way things are done , food available, meal times etc may be different from what you are used to.

Read through the threads here and the reviews and you will find many of the differences that you can expect. MSC offers a different service in the Caribbean than it does in Europe and other parts of the world, so if you are looking at reviews, bear that in mind.

Can't comment on the Poesia as it hasn't arrived yet in the Caribbean, however, on the Orchestra we were very happy with our Superior aft balcony cabin.

Overall, we had a great time but the teen club was a huge disappointment as was the change in port times. If your 17 yoDS can entertain himself and knows this will be a big change from other lines you can have a great time and save lots of money.

Beer was cheap! Best Gelato ever. Clean ship. Great shows.

If you are going to spend all your time comparing and criticizing you are better to spend the extra and take another line.

JMHO

Can't comment on the Poesia as it hasn't arrived yet in the Caribbean, however, on the Orchestra we were very happy with our Superior aft balcony cabin.

Overall, we had a great time but the teen club was a huge disappointment as was the change in port times. If your 17 yoDS can entertain himself and knows this will be a big change from other lines you can have a great time and save lots of money.

Beer was cheap! Best Gelato ever. Clean ship. Great shows.

If you are going to spend all your time comparing and criticizing you are better to spend the extra and take another line.

JMHO

Do you have pictures of your cabin and balcony and if so, would you be willing to share them?

We just got back from our first cruise on MSC - 4/4. I wish someone would have told me this information.... I would have gladly spent more money and got the cruise that everyone everywhere else talks about. We did not have a bad cruise, the cruise ship was beautiful and clean, the food was definitely european, the language barriers can be an issue sometimes. We love vacations that are "magical". This cruise line didn't do that for us but we made the best of it and had a good time. Can't say that I'm in a rush to cruise on MSC again. Only bummer is I wish I knew that before we ever spent the money. Our expectations were high because we were basing it off of friends and coworkers reviews of Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Disney. We didn't know any better - we really thought we were getting a great deal. Next time, I'll spend more money to get the cruise that I've been dreaming of.

Archived