Passports?

cruise newbie127

I know this may be a dumb question; but if we don't plan to get off the ship in B.C., do we still need passports for an Alaskan cruise?:confused:

It does not exempt you from any passport requirement just because you don't plan to get off the ship in B.C.

You won't be allowed on to the ship without proper documentation. Even if you don't plan to get off the ship, you will be in Canadian territorial waters and they have a right to see your documents.

My son's passport expires in September 09, we are traveling in August 09, do we need to get new passport? I heard somewhere you need to have a new passport if traveling within 3 months of expiration date?

My son's passport expires in September 09, we are traveling in August 09, do we need to get new passport? I heard somewhere you need to have a new passport if traveling within 3 months of expiration date?

Many places require the passport to be valid 6 months after returning home. We were caught in this window and were short by 3 or 4 days for our upcoming Panama Cruise. We had to get new passports a year before they were to expire as the cruiseline would not let us register the passports with the expiry date being what it was.

Yes, you will need a passport to cruise even if you aren't getting off the ship in BC. You need to show it to customs in Seattle and if you take an excursion into the Yukon from Skagway, you need a passport in order to go. But why not get off the ship in Canada, if you are visiting Victoria, it is a lovely city. And, yes, if your passport is due to expire soon, renew it now.

My wife's Passport expires 5 months after our August Alasakan Princess cruise this summer. When the site wouldn't allow her to input har paspot number, I called Princess- They said the passport needed to be valid for 6 month after exiting the country.

NOW- when she went to the passport office to get a new one- they disagreed at least as far as Canada is concerned- They said three month. But since princess wasn't allowing her to input it into their site, we renewed it anyway.

John

Office of Sending the Department of State Money early

The Zamgwar Institute

My wife's Passport expires 5 months after our August Alasakan Princess cruise this summer. When the site wouldn't allow her to input har paspot number, I called Princess- They said the passport needed to be valid for 6 month after exiting the country.

NOW- when she went to the passport office to get a new one- they disagreed at least as far as Canada is concerned- They said three month. But since princess wasn't allowing her to input it into their site, we renewed it anyway.

John

Office of Sending the Department of State Money early

The Zamgwar Institute

We also have passports that expire 5 months after we travel. My TA called HAL to ask about this, and HAL said that we would be OK because it is an Alaskan cruise and the only foreign stop is in Canada. I checked the Canadian govt site, and it is clear that they are OK with US passports expiring less than 6 months from date of travel. When I went to do our on line forms with HAL, the program did accept our passport information. You are also hearing from the passport office that 3 months is OK.

Now, I have heard that some airlines and cruiselines will enforce 6 months, whether or not the country in question enforces 6 months... It seems that Princess enforces 6 months and HAL enforces something less than that...

- Corie

Since the requirements to visit Canada and Mexico increase on June 1, Post Offices and the Passport Agency are flooded with applications and renewals. So don't wait too long. We sent in my son's renewal last week and the wait time is running 6 weeks right now unless you pay an expedite fee.

We needed our passports to fly to Vancouver of course, but also for the White Pass RR. The passport check was surprisingly thorough.

Another reason to have a passport; if you have to fly out of Canada due to an emergency, not having a passport will make things complicated from what I've heard.

Thanks everyone for the information. I was hoping to get out of that expense.:rolleyes:

I rarely travel but I like to have a current passport at all times. You just never know what opportunities might arise - like to be prepared with a valid passport incase I ever get the opportunity to travel at the last minute. Even something not so exotic like canoing in Canada, lol. I also use my passport for ID, it is handy to have even for something as routine as starting a new job.

We are traveling with a group of 9 and I checked that everyone had passports months ago, I'm not checking again to make sure they will be valid through the end of the year, even though we travel in June. I had no idea about this 6 month rule, I hope the expiration dates are acceptable for everyone in our group, UGG, I had NO idea! I though valid was valid and expired was expired - didn't know the expired 6 months before they expire - who's crazy idea is THAT anyway!

I just renewed my passport which had expired last month. The website had said that it would take 4-6 weeks. I just received it yesterday in exactly 3 weeks and I did not pay for the expedite fee. I was very lucky. As of June 1, 2009 both land and air will require a passport. I personally would not risk it and just pay the $75.00 for renewal. Here is the website http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Because of the deadline they are busier than usual.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to cruising, and posting. Thank you for the valuable information on this site. Much appreciated!

I am cruising with NCL out of Seattle on May 31, returning on June 7. I have a valid US passport until Aug. 31, 2009. One stop on my cruise is Victoria in Canada. I had not heard of the valid three months after exit requirement, and NCL took my passport data without any questions. Anyone know if I should try to expedite a renewal?

Thank you for your assistance.

Dianne

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to cruising, and posting. Thank you for the valuable information on this site. Much appreciated!

I am cruising with NCL out of Seattle on May 31, returning on June 7. I have a valid US passport until Aug. 31, 2009. One stop on my cruise is Victoria in Canada. I had not heard of the valid three months after exit requirement, and NCL took my passport data without any questions. Anyone know if I should try to expedite a renewal?

Thank you for your assistance.

Dianne

You will probably be okay but to be absolutely sure, you should get your passport renewed. I have traveled with a passport that was near expiration and had it brought to my attention but I was never held back. That is not to say that your experience will be the same.

I'm glad I read this post. Both of our passports expire in October so we are going to renew them now before our next trip. I just did the online application which is very easy and will send out today!

There is an exception to the passport requirement for a R/T cruise, the "closed loop exception" The exception survives the June 1 changes. I don't know if the OP is planning a one way or R/T cruise out of Seattle.

For posters who want verification

http://www.azamaracruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxt.do?pagename=immigration

This has to be a R/T cruise, I doubt a B2B booking would qualify. It's probably a lot easier to get a passport then having to explain why you only need a birth certificate and photo license.

Archived