2 way radios work?

jackchick

Hi,

my first cruise is 5/2/09 to Alaska. I'm wondering if the 2 way radios work on ship for communicting with others in your party? Can't use the cell phone due to the riduclous charges! Any tips?

We use them with the kids, but they do not work very well, and they do not always work.

That's right. They'll probably ended up being more of a pain to carry around than a useful tool.

Better to have watches as clocks are few and far between, that way everyone will know when to meet up. It's easy to lose track of time onboard.

Also, I use a magnetic dry erase board on my door. Everyone has instructions to post there if they are going somewhere EVEN if they already told us.

Others have used post-its.

All in all though, I never really lost someone on board. They always manage to show up again!

Enjoy your cruise.

At first, this seems like a good idea. Keep in mind, they squeal and have static noise and are VERY aggravating to those around you. Go somewhere quiet if you must use them. We brought them once. Never again for the reasons already stated. Note in cabin, designated meeting place, etc. works fine.

My family took the walkie talkies on a cruise, but the fact that there were so many other people using them meant we couldn't find a channel that didn't have alot of chatter. And, they didn't work unless you were outside. Maybe the real expensive ones work better. Never-the-less, a note in the room worked fine after we abonded them on board. We still use them in port because the size of our group means that we are always split up doing seperate things. They help if, near the end of port time, for us all to meet somewhere if we find a good restaurant/bar or store with good deals.

I know my kids would NOT have wanted to lug radios around all day---neither would I! We just pre-arrange "meeting" spots and times, and if something changes, we leave a note in the cabin...you know, the ship might SEEM big, but most of it is "passenger" space, and except for your hallway, that really doesn't count. You'll be able to find each other!

we bought radios for our last cruise and they worked great, they even had a texting option just like a cell phone. They are the trisquare 300's. They are a bit on the expensive side but it cost us alot less than the cell phone bill we got the time before.:)

Archived