Cell Phones on Princess

peternina

Maritime Communications Partner is the name of the cell phone provider on Princess. Go to www.mcp.com for information....then check with your carrier for rates. YOUR CARRIER SETS THE RATES...NOT MCP. (NOT Princess either!!)

For more detailed information go to www.mcp.com, click on ships, click on passenger information.

Thank you for sharing. Although I do not plan to use my cell phone, and hope if others do they will limit it to time in their cabins...:rolleyes:... I know this is important info for many. My Aunt is joining us on our cruise, and her spouse is very ill... this is helpful info for her.

I called my cell phone provider, ATT, yesterday. Apparently, they are the 1 major cruise line that does not have an agreement with Princess for cell phone service. I think that means that you can use your phone on-board, but it's totally up to Princess about access, charges, etc. Can anyone with an ATT phone (I have an iPhone 3G) confirm this?

I am with t-mobile UK and have roaming when I go abroad. I received a message from t-mobile at sea in the Caribbean which told me I had latched on to a maritime network. The rates were more expensive than some of the islands but I only use text messages when on holiday and it wasn`t too bad.

My husband used his cell phone at sea when we were on the Sapphire Mexican Riviera cruise this past December, and we had the ATT international roaming plan, but were still charged $1.99 per minute on the ship when we were at sea. When we were in Port, it was about .30 per minute.

My husband used his cell phone at sea when we were on the Sapphire Mexican Riviera cruise this past December, and we had the ATT international roaming plan, but were still charged $1.99 per minute on the ship when we were at sea. When we were in Port, it was about .30 per minute.

I was quoted by ATT an international roaming charge (while in port only) of $.99 per minute with no package or $.59 per minute with a $4.99 monthly package (pro-rated for the week). They told me to check on the ship for what Princess would charge at sea.

I started this thread to help end confusion about cell service while in international waters on a Princess ship. (NOT IN PORT) There is a company that puts a cell tower on a ship and that company is paid by

the (your) cellular service provider. If you have a cell phone, you have a cell service provider. If you make a call from a Princess ship while in international waters you are billed only by your provider. Again, please go to www.mcp.com and all your questions will be answered, except for one. The one question that is not answered is "what is my rate?" You must call or check with your cellular provider and ask them what the cruise ship rate is using the MCP tower.

"Neither MCP nor the Cruise/Ferry company set retail pricing. Retail pricing is set by your mobile provider, and while we would like to be able to provide guidance, it is impossible for MCP or the Cruise/Ferry company to comment on independent rate plans. When in doubt please contact your cellular provider."

And for COLOCRUISER....The reason for this thread is help my fellow cruisers who are interested in using their own cell phone while cruising.

I was quoted by ATT an international roaming charge (while in port only) of $.99 per minute with no package or $.59 per minute with a $4.99 monthly package (pro-rated for the week). They told me to check on the ship for what Princess would charge at sea.

Yeah, be careful on that. We were told the same thing. In the ports it was definitely cheaper, when we were at sea.....wholly crap.....I just went back an looked at the bill. When we were in port we were charged .59 per minute, when we were at sea, we were charged 2.49 per minute. We signed up for the 4.99 package, but were told that when at sea, are phone calls were routed through Norway or something goofy like nullifying the Mexico/Canada package. When you go on to the ATT website, and look up their international plans, it states that on most cruise lines including P&O which I think is the parent company of Princess, they charge $2.49 per minute. When in Ports, it is less expensive.

• 2 months later...

Archived