Westerdam casual dining

jerseygirl3

We've just booked the Westerdam for January 3, 2010. We're planning to make this a very casual winter getaway. Although we've cruised on Westerdam twice before, we've always eaten in the dining room. For our upcoming cruise, we're considering skipping the dining room on most, if not all, nights.

Does Westerdam have a casual dining venue? If so, is there waiter service/bar service? Is the menu the same as the regular dining room and do they "spruce" up the area for evening dining? Do you need to make a reservation ahead of time. And lastly, is there a suggested gratuity?

TIA

Every Holland America ship (5) that I have been on has the Lido deck restaurant, which is a buffet. By the way both sides are duplicates of each other. We usually grab a table first so that we are not walking around carrying heavy trays. My wife uses a staff member to carry her tray when she is alone as she has trouble walking.

The only thing that we have never done is to eat there during dinner as we have always eaten in the main dinning room. I understand that the Lido is broken into 4 different food type areas for dinner, italian etc:).

Every Holland America ship (5) that I have been on has the Lido deck restaurant, which is a buffet. By the way both sides are duplicates of each other. We usually grab a table first so that we are not walking around carrying heavy trays. My wife uses a staff member to carry her tray when she is alone as she has trouble walking.

The only thing that we have never done is to eat there during dinner as we have always eaten in the main dinning room. I understand that the Lido is broken into 4 different food type areas for dinner, italian etc:).

I'm aware of how the Lido buffet works during the day. I'm really just interested in whether or not it is turned into a dining venue in the evening, with a menu, waitstaff, etc. If it stays buffet for dinner, we'd probably just go to the MDR.

Thanks for your input.

hi there,,,the lido restaurant in the evening serves almost the identical menu they have in the main dining room,,there are tables cloths etc on the table,,,but yes it is still a buffet for dinner,,,only difference is that is is very casual for those who do not want to dress for dinner

It stays like the buffet where you pick what you want and they give you a number (or something like that) and then they bring your food to you. I think you still have to get your own salad etc. It is not like the main dining room.

Archived