Cruised from Bayonne - thanks for everyones help

ruth1964

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and help for our recent cruise from Bayonne.

Did promise to give a quick review of the hotel :

Hyatt Regency on the Hudson NJ. Perhaps a slightly dearer hotel than other popular choices but my decision was based on:

smoking allowed in room:

my mum smokes and as it was her first trip to USA didnt want her to have to go outside, wanted her to be able to relax [68yrs old].

accessibility to NY:

whilst no major plans to tour due to time constraints, wanted the option of being able to get over to NY relatively quick and cheaply should we feel up to it. as it happens we just got the train to ground zero just to pay our respects and then came back.

location to newark airport & cruise terminal:

ideally situated between both.

surrounding area:

we felt safe walking around, the weather was very windy and took your breath away but the views were great. we walked to the Flamingo Restaurant/Diner. Excellent value for money for a 'quick fix' rather than paying hotel costs.

Overall the rooms were clean and spacious and we found the hotel to be welcoming. large wedding party going on and also an weekend conference but no obvious noise and delay at checkin issues.

I booked on line and got a rate drop. Their system hadnt updated the drop but they honoured it on showing them my print out.

Breakfast was included in our rate, this was adequate with good choices but our server was a bit haphazard, our egg order was delayed [forgotten?] and he poured fresh orange into my tea cup?!. Had we paid seperately perhaps we would have felt it was overpriced for the service we received.

Would go back again definately.

Bayonne Cruise terminal.

I asked the question on CC about whether to arrive at 9.30 or 1.30 due to taxi options left [i booked it late!] ... ended up going at 9.30 - straight through security and into the checkin hall; as we are platinum we went into the VIP area and allowed to wait till the desks opened. juice and coffee, cookies were available, as was somewhere to sit down. if going again from Bayonne would definately get there early again.

Used BlackCars and they were excellent on pick up from airport and delivery to the cruise terminal.

Hope that helps.

Ruth.

So glad you had a wonderful trip and the advice we gave you was good. Wasn't it a quick trip to Ground Zero? That area of Jersey City is so close to Manhattan, but sometimes it's hard to convince folks how convenient it is.

138east,

you are so correct... before we knew it we were off the train right by ground zero. we just got the single fares, but obviously had we been sightseeing and travelling more we could have got the saver tickets offered.

going back to NJ I sat at the front looking into the tunnel... without wanting to sound very touristy and from UK... all i needed was Bruce Willis to jump down with his white t-shirt on and 'save the day.'!!:)

Archived