How is Grand Cayman?

Has anyone been to GC recently? I was wondering how it is now after the hurricanes. We would like to book an excursion for January, but, we don't want to if it still looks pretty damaged. I've heard that all the trees on seven mile beach are gone. I've been there before and we don't want to do any water excursions as we have in the past. So, we were going to do one that took us on a tour of the island. Should we or is there too much damage to appreciate the beauty of the island?

Thanks for any info!

Jules

I just got back on Thursday and was in GC on Tuesday of last week. I must say that touring the island is pretty sad...the devistation is everywhere. We went to Sea Grape beach it was beautiful but missing all the foliage including most the palm trees. I enjoyed GC but really felt disheartend by all of the damage. Have a nice time. My dad did Dunn Falls he said it was lovely so maybe if you didnt do that last time maybe you could try that. Here is a link to some of my photos http://community.webshots.com/user/kimbo041562

:)

Was there two weeks ago on the Brilliance. Kim is right, the island was devasted. Most of the trees were destroyed or damaged to some degree. Only one hotel was open, and many shops and restraunts are still closed. Many people are still without electricity, and the clean up will take a long time.

We tendered ashore, and found local tour operators waiting at the dock. The Turtle Farm & Hell tour was $15 per person plus $4.50 admission to the turtle farm. They dropped us at Sea Grape beach, where they have loungers, umbrellas, restraunt/bar, restrooms and showers. Stayed untill 3PM and took a cab back to the tender @ $4 each. You also have the option of returning to town instead of stopping at the beach, in case you want to shop or just return to the ship.

All in all it was a good day, and we were happy to be able to spend some dollars with the locals.

Jules,

We were also at Grand Cayman this last week. While the damage was severe, the cleanup is going rapidly. The people were such a delight to be with and the shopping fun. Five of us took the 1/2 snorkal and stingaray city tour with Capt. Marvin's Watersports and it was the highlight of our cruise :) You can not go wrong with this port.

Enjoy, Ron

Archived