Prince Rupert

luv2bcruzng

We have been to Prince Rupert twice. The first time we took a city tour which was just o.k. but the second time we were there, we walked into town to the grocery store, bought some candy bars and walked back to the harbor. A fishing boat had just arrived and there must have been at least ten Bald Eagles flying around and diving at the water. I have one picture that has three eagles swooping in. We also visit one of the pubs on the water for a few refreshments and the best fried Halibut plate. There was so much food, we shared one plate. It's really nice just sitting there having a drink watching for Bald Eagles to fly around.

Prince Rupert has a lot of eagles and supposedly whales. We are going there again this year and arrive at 4:00 p.m. on the NCL Star (I assume you also). I have been told a couple of hours before we get into P.R. really start looking for whales. They do sell Whale tours but they do not have a money back guarantee like Alaskan Ports.

I think we might take your suggestion and just stroll around town. I have heard that Cow Bay is scenic and might just end up there. We have done whale watching quite a few times in San Diego so don't feel the need to spend on that. Where did you get the fried halibut? That sounds great.

Reba

There's a lovely museum in Prince Rupert called The Museum of Northern British Columbia. It is a very striking building with lots of wonderful exhibits as well as tours. You could easily spend a couple of hours here.

www.museumofnorthernbc.com

Another nice feature that I really liked was that the City hired local older teens to act as cultural ambassadors for the City and these teens would dress in their cultural attire which was often made by mothers, aunts, grandmothers, etc. I have some terrific photographs in front of the museum with a couple of girls in stunning native dress. This was back in 2005.

I think we might take your suggestion and just stroll around town. I have heard that Cow Bay is scenic and might just end up there. We have done whale watching quite a few times in San Diego so don't feel the need to spend on that. Where did you get the fried halibut? That sounds great.

Reba

I don't remember the name of the place but as you are walking along the harbor (i.e. when you come out make a left - 5 to 10 minute walk from what I remember -- maybe a little longer), it was a grayish building that had a big bar and then places to sit and eat by the water (still inside) and from what I remember they had a few tables outside as well. The prices were good to. Not overly priced for a cruise port....

ive been on fence re booking a whale tour here, mostly because it's not comforting as to why they don't offer the partial refund

thanks for the advice to start watching for them before making port:), any specific hints where?

We will be in Prince Rupert from 4 to 10pm. Any suggestions on what to do or book for that time? Is there much to see if we just stroll around on our own?

Thanks,

Reba

Right up by the hotel is the Canadian Legion Building. I figured they must be like the American Legion so I stopped in. I also figured all they could do was ask me to leave. They greeted me like an old friend. I had a nice time, a few great beers and good conversation. Don't know if they still allow visitors but if you are a veteran and belong to the American Legion (or not) and want to spend a few minutes (hours?) stop by and give them a visit.

There's a lovely museum in Prince Rupert called The Museum of Northern British Columbia. It is a very striking building with lots of wonderful exhibits as well as tours. You could easily spend a couple of hours here.

www.museumofnorthernbc.com

Another nice feature that I really liked was that the City hired local older teens to act as cultural ambassadors for the City and these teens would dress in their cultural attire which was often made by mothers, aunts, grandmothers, etc. I have some terrific photographs in front of the museum with a couple of girls in stunning native dress. This was back in 2005.

The museum is a very fine place to go to. When we were there last year it rained the whole time, so it was a good place to spend out of the rain

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested to hear from anyone who may have recently taken ship-sponsored tours in Prince Rupert. We are thinking about the Canoe Quest and Rainforest Walk. On the other hand, this might be a perfect day just to enjoy the ship and relax!

Archived