Which side of the ship is best for viewing from a balcony?

Nancyquilts

I'm not sure if it really makes much of a difference - it would probably depend somewhat on the itinerary since depending on which islands the ship hits first would also determine which side of the ship is facing land.

Spleen

We were on the starboard side on our Infinity trip in Nov. Just a guess, but I imagine most of the cruises from the mainland would stop in Hilo first then Kona, so the volcano would be on the starboard side. Some ships will actually turn around so both sides can view the volcano. It was the side to be on for viewing the lava, but did not make much difference in the ports.

Agreed, the only difference might be if you go by the lava flow but like Dan said, the captain often turns the ship around so the pax on both sides can see. Furthermore, you'll be getting into port so early so you may not even see Kauai or Oahu going in and you tender in the other 2 ports left - Kona and Lahaina. Into Kauai, what you may miss going in, you'll see coming out. Into Oahu, probably the starboard side.

It just never makes that much difference.

Sammy

• 4 weeks later...

Our cabin was on the port side on Infinity and the only time there was an advantage to being on the starboard side was as we sailed around the Big Island from Hilo to Kona, as other posters have mentioned. We could have watched the lava flow from our balcony rather than out on deck (the captain did not turn the ship). On our next Hawaii cruise, we chose a starboard cabin for that reason -- and perhaps to see if we missed anything else. :D

• 3 weeks later...

we were on the port side of the Island Princess because our travel agent explained that on the way to Hawaii we would experience far less wind on our balcony on this side and on the way back the wind would not be nearly as strong. I agree that this worked out very well on the way there the difference was quite obvious from one side of the ship to the other on the way back I was not as observant but it was certainly not a problem on our balcony. As far as the view goes I do believe we would have had a better view of the Islands from the starboard side we did go up on the deck to see the lava but it was raining and we were able to see very little.

Archived