Rumbaba - Highpockets - Where to?

Sailor Gal

I've been reading extensively all the great info posted about day sails. What I wanted to know is where the rumbaba and high pockets sail to. The Jolly Mon and Island Girl pick up at the pier (which is great plus and a huge money saver) but they go to Buck Island and Turtle Cove, Honeymoon Beach, Christmas Cove - been there - done that several times now. Looks like much more flexibility from Red Hook on those day sails. Can those who have gone from Red Hook (and especially sailed Rumbab or Highpockets) tell me where you went and how many stops they allow for?

Hi Sailor Gal,

We used Rumbaba and loved this daysail. We went out towards St. Johns and stopped in a cove where we went snorkling for a couple of hours and then had a fantastic made to order lunch. We then sailed out and could see Tortolla. Bobby is a great Captain. He let my DS sail back part of the way. This was the highlight of his day. You cannot go wrong with Rumbaba.:)

I made two stops when I sailed on rumbaba two years ago. I am sailing with them again in a few weeks, and am planning to have two stops as well. Just tell them what you are looking to do. They are usually happy to accomodate requests.

DH and I have sailed Rumbaba twice. Bobby does not know where he is going to take you until he sees what the wind and water is doing. The first year he gave us the option of one great stop or two so-so stops. We chose the one great stop and it was wonderful!

This year we only made one stop. We anchored in Rendevous Bay and snorkeled before and after lunch. In the bay there were 2 separate places to go to also.

I would highly recommend Rumbaba. Its a great day and the food can't be beat!

Just a thought, you sound a bit like us. We had been to many of the common snorkel areas for day sails. In the end, I booked a power boat, Big Blue. It was a blast! We went to 6 places and snorkeled or played on the beach. We were a family of 5 so for us it was not that much more than booking a day sail. The power boat gave us a lot more range and capability. The captain was great!

Kristy

• 4 weeks later...

Einsteinsmom,

I'm glad to hear that you had an excellent day with Big Blue. We are also booking with them for our trip in July heading over to Jost Van Dyke and to see the sights beyond St. Thomas. Cpt. Wilson has been great about emailing back and forth answering all of my questions and helping to set up the intinerary for our day with him. I can't wait!!

I've been reading extensively all the great info posted about day sails. What I wanted to know is where the rumbaba and high pockets sail to. The Jolly Mon and Island Girl pick up at the pier (which is great plus and a huge money saver) but they go to Buck Island and Turtle Cove, Honeymoon Beach, Christmas Cove - been there - done that several times now. Looks like much more flexibility from Red Hook on those day sails. Can those who have gone from Red Hook (and especially sailed Rumbab or Highpockets) tell me where you went and how many stops they allow for?

I know I'm late with an answer on this one, but we sailed with High Pockets on May 16th, 2009. We spent the morning sailing the Pillsbury Sound, and our first stop was in Caneel Bay, where we snorkeled the reef (and had the opportunity to swim in to the beach, if we desired). We made a second stop off of Levongo Cay, where we snorkeled both the reef and the flats (lots of rays and a few turtles). It was a great daysail, you can read my full review of it over in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926928&page=3

I'm of the impression that Capt. Kathleen varies her moorings depending on water conditions and whether other daysailers are using the same areas.

Hey guys -

Just an FYI. Highpockets has an issue with the hull (?) on their boat and are not sailing for a few days. I had booked with them for this Monday and got a call from Kathleen yesterday saying it probably was not going to work out. Kathleen was VERY, VERY nice about it, obviously gave me an ample heads up, and basically set up the same excursion on another boat (Captain Max). She was great and now we're all set with Captain Max for Monday. No harm done.

From what I could tell (I didn't really ask) I don't think she'll be out of commission too long so do give her a call if you are thinking about a day sail. Just a heads up though!

Brian

• 1 month later...

Archived