11 year old (closer to 12) on cruise, can she move up to older kids?

jbitzer

This is our first Carnival cruise and I have a question on the preteen teen club.

I have an 11 year old that will be turning 12 within one month of the cruise. My 11 year old is in middle school now and will be going into 7th grade at the the time of the cruise. (August 8 Glory sailing)

The 12th birthday will be within 25 days of the cruise. (less than a month)

Will she be stuck with 3rd graders in the younger kids club?

She's been in middle school-- should she bring her school ID with her and ask?

Who should we talk to about this? When should we talk to someone about this?

Can we talk to someone about this in the port--before we board. On our Disney cruise, there were kids club staff in the port answering questions.

Most importantly, does this child have a good chance bumping up or not?

This is our first Carnival cruise and I have a question on the preteen teen club.

I have an 11 year old that will be turning 12 within one month of the cruise. My 11 year old is in middle school now and will be going into 7th grade at the the time of the cruise. (August 8 Glory sailing)

Can we talk to someone about this in the port--before we board. On our Disney cruise, there were kids club staff in the port answering questions.

Depends...sorry but there is no bright line answer to this. I have seen posters that have had success, particularly if a traveling companion was in the older group, and then others, have been told (rightly as it it CCL guidelines) no. It seems to depend on the CC staff on that particular cruise and their ability to accomodate given the number of kids on board.

Well her older brother will be in the 12-14 group so will that help as well?

I'd hate to have her miserable with all the younger kids while she is a 7th grader. (age disparities can be so wide-- 3rd graders can be 11 as well!)

So where do we go? Who do we see? Do we go to the older group first or the younger group first?

We were able to with my nephew, but all the kids groups were really small (only 40 total on the whole ship), and his brother and cousin were both in the next group.

Well her older brother will be in the 12-14 group so will that help as well?

I'd hate to have her miserable with all the younger kids while she is a 7th grader. (age disparities can be so wide-- 3rd graders can be 11 as well!)

So where do we go? Who do we see? Do we go to the older group first or the younger group first?

They will have registrations times...you'll get a flyer as you get on board...but I would say that is not the time to do try to talk as you are litererally walking onto the ship. Go to which ever is first 9-11 or 12-14 and ask. Sorry we can't ease your concerns more.

What I can say is that the 9-11 can be given privileges to sign in and out. And almost all of the 12-14 are later in the day and they can chose what they attend.

They will have registrations times...you'll get a flyer as you get on board...but I would say that is not the time to do try to talk as you are litererally walking onto the ship. Go to which ever is first 9-11 or 12-14 and ask. Sorry we can't ease your concerns more.

What I can say is that the 9-11 can be given privileges to sign in and out. And almost all of the 12-14 are later in the day and they can chose what they attend.

So I should go right away? What do you mean whichever is first? The first that I can find?

Will the middle school ID help?

So I should go right away? What do you mean whichever is first? The first that I can find?

Will the middle school ID help?

I have no idea whether the middle school ID would help, but take it just to show. There can be, depending on the ship, different times for registration - this is the information given on the flyer. I have seen it start as early at 1 p.m for the younger kids but I think it is more common for it to be around 7-8 p.m. You'll just have to see what times they are doing registration for the 9-11 and 12-14...if they happen to be at the same time, go to the 12-14 since you have another that belongs there anyway. If the 9-11 is first, I would go to them and ask nicely.

It may turn out to not be a big deal. My oldest was 11.5 and I was really worried that she would make a 12 yo friend and complain the whole trip that she was stuck with the little kids.

Once we were on board, I couldn't believe how many 11 year old girls there were. She made plenty of friends her age in Camp Carnival. Even though there were also nine year olds in camp with her, she hung out with the 11 year olds. It really wasn't an issue.

I'd try to not talk to your daughter about it too much. You may end up planting it in her head that it's a bigger deal than it really is.

Archived