Getting off the Ship with a Scooter

WheelieBob

Hi. Hubby (who has MS and uses a scooter) and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary by taking our 1st cruise in Feb 2010. We are very excited :D

Being the planner I am (and have to be) I am trying to sort out what we are going to do in ports. We are stopping in San Juan, St. Kitts and St. Martin. We are in San Juan for the actual day of our anniversary and I thought it would be romantic to take a horse and buggy tour of the old city. The problem is -- where do we leave the scooter while we are enjoying the ride?

Hubby can walk a bit so we might want to take a tour or two while in port. Again, we wouldn't necessarily need the scooter on the tour but we would need it to get off the ship and down the pier to the tour spots. Again, if there is no room in the tour vehicle for the scooter, where do we leave it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mrs. Wheelie

It is often best to travel with a manual, folding wheelchair for off-ship

excursions. Most likely the folding chair can be accomodated.

We have even used the scooter to get to the place of exiting the ship.

Just explain that you need to have security watch your scooter until

your return. Then use the manual chair from there.

I agree--take a manual one for ports== or rent one for that reason-- (It will be in the cabin waiting for you)

I would not just leave a scooter parked in a port-- Even locked. (things can happen-- and then where would you be without that scooter the rest of the week.

Cruiselines do have wheelchairs but normally do not let them leave the ship because of liability issues.

In St. Kitts, get in touch with Thenford Gray and tell him you have a scooter and want to go on his excursion, it is undoubtedly the BEST we have ever been on. He's so knowledgeable about his island and such a gentleman, you will love him! Tell him Nancie and Jim from Austin told you about him!!!!!!! Check out the St. Kitts board. Bon Voyage and Happy Anniversary!

Nancie

What kind of scooter do you have? I was just on the Legend with a Pride Go Go that I rented. It sat rather close to the ground and would hang up on some of the door sills.

Are you sure he will be able to climb up to the carriage? I was going to take a buggy ride in Nassau but was unable to get up into it. Congratulations on your anniversary.

We have a pride go go scooter as well. We are going on the Celebrity Solstice which is not supposed to have any door sills so that shouldn't :confused: be a problem. We have taken horse & buggy rides before and he is able to get up into the buggy with a little help.

Thanks for the info on St. Kitts, I'll go over and lurk around that board for more info.

The idea of the manual chair might just work better than the scooter. Problem is -- DH loves his independence, and I would probably go too slow for his liking :) Maybe a walker with a seat would work for him. He is very determined (read stubborn);)

Thanks to all for your suggestions. We have quite awhile before our cruise but we are very excited about it. Cruising these boards is very helpful in planning for the adventure.

Mrs. Wheelie

We have a pride go go scooter as well. We are going on the Celebrity Solstice which is not supposed to have any door sills so that shouldn't :confused: be a problem. We have taken horse & buggy rides before and he is able to get up into the buggy with a little help.

Thanks for the info on St. Kitts, I'll go over and lurk around that board for more info.

The idea of the manual chair might just work better than the scooter. Problem is -- DH loves his independence, and I would probably go too slow for his liking :) Maybe a walker with a seat would work for him. He is very determined (read stubborn);)

Thanks to all for your suggestions. We have quite awhile before our cruise but we are very excited about it. Cruising these boards is very helpful in planning for the adventure.

Mrs. Wheelie

I have a Pride Go Go Elite and love it! It has been on 2 cruises now, Celebrity Summit to Hawaii, and The Celebrity Constellaltion for 3 weeks, Eastern Caribbean and Western Caribbean and it was wonderful!!!!

So what did you do for shore excursions? Take the GoGo with you?

Thanks

Mrs. Wheelie

Did not do any excursions. This was my 40th cruise so I've been there, done that. I took my rollator off the ship to go to the shops. I am sure it would have hung up on the gangway and have to be pushed off. You can take it out of gear and do that. Also, would have to find a van. I understand they come apart to go in the trunk but I didn't do that.

My scooter and I were never parted. We took it every place. I rode it right off the ship on the gang plank. If I got a little hung up, everyone rallied around to help me"!!!!! It was easy and I enjoyed the scooterl. Some ports it was so helpful, I could NOT have used the walker that far.

• 4 weeks later...

The question was presented what to do with scooter if it doesn't fit in the tour bus ?

Everytime the ship is at port, there is a security posting set up that everyone has to go through on the dock. It's staffed 100% of the time with both uniform ship security and plan clothed ship security. I ran into the problem that the scooter that there were too many scooters and mine could not fit on in the luggae area of the tour bus. In my case I could still get by with a cane for limited walkig. The Director of the Ship's Security staff instructed me to leave the scooter with the ship's securirty personal at the dock so it would be waiting there for my return. However I had to take the key with me and also make certain the scooter was clearly taged with my Name , Ship and Cabin number. If it makes a difference I was on RC Vision of the Seas. ;)

Archived