Obsessing about binoculars!

SoCal09

\ Note that I ordered the refurb in the vistas and honestly there was nothing different about them and the summits to indicate they were refurbs - so not really sure why theses are considered refurbs.

From the Zen-Ray Website:

Refurbished: Zen-Ray VISTA 10x42 Waterproof/Fogproof

$209.99 $104.99

Save: 50% off

During final quality inspection and inventory check, these binoculars were found with slight damage on packin box. Everything else (optically and mechanically) are as good as normal VISTA binoculars and carry the same great warranty. We marked these binoculars down below cost. Hurry, only a few pairs left.

It seems they're considered refurbished because of damaged packaging. Maybe they should use another name for it.

I went ahead and ordered a pair of these and they are brand new except for a slight dent and tear to the original box. They work fantastic and were only $116 including shipping.

I am a big fan of 8x. It just feels more comfortable with less magnification. With 8x, I can pretty much see everything 10x can see.

I don't have any problem with either 8x or 10x. To me, the difference is quite small to tell them apart.

My Zen-Ray Summit 8x42's arrived in the mail a couple of days ago and I think they are great! Very clear, easy to focus and best of all they work very well with glasses! I'm having lots of fun with them and can hardly wait to try 'em out in Alaska... we sail from Seward 5/17 so it's happening soon! The 8x is very easy to hold steady and has a great field of view. If you check the specs, these binos have the features of the more expensive models on the market.;)

I had been ruminating between the Monarch's and Zen-Rays for ages. The price was deterring me since I'd want two pairs since there are 4 of us. I'm so happy to hear the refurbished ones don't really have any defects on the actual binoculars - just bought 2 zenrays 8 x 42. Debated between 10s and 8s but decided the kids would be using them and then only on the cruise for the most part. Yay, $99 each. Thanks everyone for all the great info on this, and other binocular threads!

I have read alot of postings and I'm still stuck on 8x or 10x. Are the 8x strong enough to see most everything from whales and sea life to bears (hopefully) and other land critters? The Nikon 8x42 Trailblazer ATB's are the ones I'm thinking about for $128.99. (They also make a 10x50 Trailblazer). Thanks for any input.

Doug

Try some Zenray 10X42 either Vista or Summit. Both are waterproof and fogproof. I just received mine last week.

From the Zen-Ray Website:

Refurbished: Zen-Ray VISTA 10x42 Waterproof/Fogproof

$209.99 $104.99

Save: 50% off

During final quality inspection and inventory check, these binoculars were found with slight damage on packin box. Everything else (optically and mechanically) are as good as normal VISTA binoculars and carry the same great warranty. We marked these binoculars down below cost. Hurry, only a few pairs left.

It seems they're considered refurbished because of damaged packaging. Maybe they should use another name for it.

I went ahead and ordered a pair of these and they are brand new except for a slight dent and tear to the original box. They work fantastic and were only $116 including shipping.

Exact ones I bought too! I think they are great, plus a good deal too.

• 3 weeks later...
Got the 8x - when I tried out binos at REI - noticed a bit more shake with the 10X and was afraid on the cruise that the shake would be more pronounced. So played it safe and went with the 8x. REI did not have these binos - tried out several other brands as I was unsure about 8/10x and needed to get a comparison.

I have both 8x and 10x and they both worked great.

Check out Joe's if you have one nearby. They're going out of business and hubby bought a Nikon 10X 50 for $50. We have a pair of Swift 8 X ? and noticed that things look sharper and brighter with the Nikon 10 X 50. Hubby's parents are birdwatchers and really liked the Nikon 10 X 50. I believe these binoculars sell for more than $100 regularly.

Archived