Obsessing about binoculars!

SoCal09

I have read alot of postings and I'm still stuck on 8x or 10x. Are the 8x strong enough to see most everything from whales and sea life to bears (hopefully) and other land critters? The Nikon 8x42 Trailblazer ATB's are the ones I'm thinking about for $128.99. (They also make a 10x50 Trailblazer). Thanks for any input.

Doug

I was worried about the same exact thing. I had to go to a brick and mortar store to play with them in person before I could decide. I went with the 10x42, maybe I'll regret it on the cruise but I could barely tell the difference with "shake" between the 8 and the 10.

I have an old pair of 10x50 and they are too heavy to carry around. Make sure you check the overall weight. I don't think I'll ever use the 10x50's again. I bought the ZenRay Vistas, but I really loved the Nikon Monach's that my local photo store carried. In the end, I went with a lower priced binocular and bought a new camera for the trip, too!

You'll love whatever you choose, enjoy!

I was worried about the same exact thing. I had to go to a brick and mortar store to play with them in person before I could decide. I went with the 10x42, maybe I'll regret it on the cruise but I could barely tell the difference with "shake" between the 8 and the 10.

I have an old pair of 10x50 and they are too heavy to carry around. Make sure you check the overall weight. I don't think I'll ever use the 10x50's again. I bought the ZenRay Vistas, but I really loved the Nikon Monach's that my local photo store carried. In the end, I went with a lower priced binocular and bought a new camera for the trip, too!

You'll love whatever you choose, enjoy!

I've been contemplating the zenrays...can you tell me anymore about them?

What it really comes down to is the quality of the lenses, I have a pair of Fujinon Polaris that are 7X50 and I can see for miles and under low light conditions. But they are extremely expensive and overkill for a cruise to Alaska. However the point is that the standard for marine binos tends to be 7 or 8X to reduce the effect motion that you get aboard ship. Is it going to be that dramatic on an Alaskan cruise, well I don't know but I know what I would purchase.

I have read alot of postings and I'm still stuck on 8x or 10x. Are the 8x strong enough to see most everything from whales and sea life to bears (hopefully) and other land critters? The Nikon 8x42 Trailblazer ATB's are the ones I'm thinking about for $128.99. (They also make a 10x50 Trailblazer). Thanks for any input.

Doug

I'd rather get a good 8x42 than a lesser quality 10x50 (and if you're like me, price is an object). It also pays to try out the specific model you're looking at, to see if they're comfortable for you. (And if you're trying them out at a store, it's fair to purchase at that store, rather than finding a cheaper place down the street or on the net; they gave you value, and deserve something for that.)

I'd love to get a pair of Leitz Trinovid binoculars, but they're out of my league price-wise.

I live in the Los Angeles area, and very few stores carry binoculars anymore and with very few in stock. The big camera stores are all closed now (digital revolution!) so it's been difficult finding binocs to try out. I guess I'll just have to take a chance with an internet order... I do like the compactness of the roof prism binocs.

Though they are slightly larger, you get more bang for the buck optically with a porro prism binoc vs. a roof prism. Read about it here. So Nikon Action EX binocs might be a better choice than the Trailblazer.

Which size do you recommend?

Biggest choice is 8x vs 10x. You'll only know which one by trying them somewhere. I find a bit too much shake for me, so I have 8x. 8x40 seems nice to me. Might try the Nikon site to find a dealer near you. It would great to try them first. Also, lots of info here. Good luck choosing.

ok...I've finally decided and now I better order quickly! I'm going with the 8x40 Nikon action ex.... I hope this is a good choice as I could not find any in local stores to try out!

Here's "looking at you" with my new binos.

many people recommend zenrays. We got their summit and vista. They are light weight and very clear and sharp. For the price of one monarch, we can get two pairs at much better quality.

I recently bought one of their 10x Summits, and it seems very nice. I'm ready to buy a second pair of binoculars, an 8x, but I'm debating about the Summit versus the Vista. Beyond our upcoming cruise, I don't think there will be a lot of times we'll carry two binoculars with us in future travels, so that has me leaning towards the less-expensive ones. But if there's a significant difference in build quality, I'd rather plunk down the extra money now and get the more expensive Summit. Since you have both, can you offer any insight on the differences between the Summit and Vista to help me decide? The cruise is only a month away now, and I need to get off the fence and order! ;)

-- Eric

I recently bought one of their 10x Summits, and it seems very nice. I'm ready to buy a second pair of binoculars, an 8x, but I'm debating about the Summit versus the Vista. Beyond our upcoming cruise, I don't think there will be a lot of times we'll carry two binoculars with us in future travels, so that has me leaning towards the less-expensive ones. But if there's a significant difference in build quality, I'd rather plunk down the extra money now and get the more expensive Summit. Since you have both, can you offer any insight on the differences between the Summit and Vista to help me decide? The cruise is only a month away now, and I need to get off the fence and order! ;)

-- Eric

I ordered both for our upcoming cruise - we are not bino experts - so take that into consideration:)

The vistas came to 112 with shipping and the summits were 180 (also included a neat lens cleaner pen and monoculars)- I ordered two separate orders after hubby decided he wanted two pairs - too many people coming with us and he was afraid he would be handing them out the whole time!

Anyways - I am hard pressed to tell the difference. The summits seem to have an extra coating on the outside and were easier to hold because of that. They also seemed a tad brighter and I was able to focus a tad easier with them. FOV and clarity seemed about equal. I would have been happy with either - he preferred the summits and said they looked cleaner/clearer/brighter. Since they also came with the monoculars (which we are gonna give to the kids to use - they loved them!) he wants to send the vistas back and get another pair of summits. But he even said that for a decent pair of binos - everyday casual use - either would be good. The edge to the brightness and clarity went to the summits - but in my estimation it was small. So if you have a need for a lens cleaning pen, monocular and want a slightly better bino - then I would go with the summit. If not save yourself the $70 and go with the vistas. Note that I ordered the refurb in the vistas and honestly there was nothing different about them and the summits to indicate they were refurbs - so not really sure why theses are considered refurbs.

From a build quality perspective - the specs clearly outline the summits are better - in practical use over the past couple of days as we played with them - not sure I personally would ever know the difference.

So hubby is prevailing - but think I am throwing away $70:):)

-- Eric

Eric, I am not an expert on binoculars and cannot offer too much insight on what makes them different other than my own observation. I can tell summit is better than vista by its brightness and clarity. My wife use vista most of the time. When I use it, I found it was quite pleasant to use as well. Only when you put them side by side, you can tell summit is bit better.

Theresef ,

Where did you get the Zen Rays with the monocular sounds like something I'd like.

If you go to the zenray site - click on shopping and then go to the summits - you will see they have a 20% off as of right now. Scross down and you will see that they include the following with the purchase of the bino's

Monocular

cleaning pen

strap

case

All came shipped in a fed ex box. The case andstrap were in with the binos, the monocular has its own little case and the cleaning pens is packaged seperately (actually used it on my camers lens - worked great!).

Did you get the 10 or 8x zen rays?

Got the 8x - when I tried out binos at REI - noticed a bit more shake with the 10X and was afraid on the cruise that the shake would be more pronounced. So played it safe and went with the 8x. REI did not have these binos - tried out several other brands as I was unsure about 8/10x and needed to get a comparison.

Got the 8x - when I tried out binos at REI - noticed a bit more shake with the 10X and was afraid on the cruise that the shake would be more pronounced. So played it safe and went with the 8x. REI did not have these binos - tried out several other brands as I was unsure about 8/10x and needed to get a comparison.

I am a big fan of 8x. It just feels more comfortable with less magnification. With 8x, I can pretty much see everything 10x can see.

So excited. I just got back from Big Box place with my waterproof Bushnell 10 x 25, priced $44 I'm so glad I troubled myself to go and shop because there is a very big difference in 25 mm and 42 mm lense as far as total bulk of these items. Once you add on the waterproof feature, you talking about some large items!! Just wanted folks to know that. You really cannot tell this size thing from web sites. I bet those Zen Vista binoculars would be awesomely wonder and the refurb products a good deal, but I would very much wonder about lugging them around. IMO... Gosh, feel like the day after Christmas here with my new toy... Thanks for all the wonderful info CC gives out my mates!! We leave in Sept 2009 and I'm enjoying the prep as it takes be away from the hum-drum of daily living here.

Archived