Alaska cruise search - HELP!

unklez

Hi all,

I am looking for some pointers for our 2010 Summer Alaska cruise. So far it seems that we should pick a cruise that:

1. Either departs/arrives in Vancouver (for Inside Passage). We will most probably fly into Seattle so the other port can be Seattle or Vancouver itself.

2. Cruises at least one glacier - Glacier Bay, Hubbard or Swayer

3. Stops at 3 AK ports or stops at 2 ports and also visits Tracy Arm

4. Cruise cost for family of 4 ~ $3K

5. Ideally sometime between June 22 and September 10

6. Undecided on pre/post land tours but unlikely

So far I am only able to find one itinerary that matches the first 4 criteria but not the 5th :(

Carnival Spirit $2866

Departs Sep 7 2010

Seattle

Cruise Day

Juneau, AK

Cruise Glacier Bay

Skagway, AK

Ketchikan, AK

Cruise Inside Passage

Vancouver, BC, Canada

Questions:

1. This will be first time cruise to Alaska and likely the only one. Are we picking the right places to see?

2. Suggestions on the criteria?

3. How does Carnival itinerary look?

4. NCL Sun seemed to offer some decent choices but NCL is moving it away from Alaska for 2010. Who else offers comparable/better itineraries for 2010 Summer?

5. Any other tips?

The itinerary is good, but you have the potential for foul weather going mid Sept. Another "problem" is dusk by 7pm.

IF "Alaska" is the priority, then also look at HAL round trip Seattle.

If you are open to Vancouver, it offers more scenic sailing and sometimes better port times. Factor it all, ports, time in ports, glacier, route, price. :) THEN find the ship.

For clarification, it is rare to get the full transit of Tracy Arm to the Sawyer glaciers at the end. NCL is the best line for this, with it being necessary to purchase their add on boat tour.

The very best advice I can give to someone asking these questions is to find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate.

All of the questions you are asking and the criteria you list are exactly the kind of things a good Travel Agent can answer for you. They have many more resources and much more experience at searching for cruise matches than any individual, or the posters on this board. Once you have booked your cruise through the Travel Agent, this board will be a valuable resource for asking those specific questions, such as "Train or drive in Skagway?" or "What should I pack for Alaska?"

Have a GREAT cruise!

The price differential even if you could leave 2 weeks before the 22nd could be significant. Those 1st 2 weeks in June generally see fares potentially several hundreds less. However, if you are waiting for kids to get out of school, then that may be a non-issue.

Thanks all for the input. This really helps. I am so glad I joined CC.

Yes we are not sure we want to have the 2nd grader miss school. OTOH, a 1000 bucks is a 1000 bucks and we can do lots with that moolah. I will see what DW thinks of this.

Anyways, so I am re-evaluating the NCL Sun itinerary for *2009* Summer and the following NCL cruise looks quite good.

Vancouver

Cruise Inside Passage

Ketchikan

Cruise Sawyer Glacier

Skagway

Cruise Day

Cruise Inside Passage

Vancouver

The advantage in this NCL itinerary compared to the other Carnival one we shortlisted seems to be is that we will get FULL Inside Passage both going North and South. The other difference is that this one visits Sawyer Glacier whereas the Carnival visits Glacier Bay.

Questions:

1. How do you compare Sawyer Glacier to Glacier Bay?

2. Given a choice, which side of the ship (Left or Right facing forward) would you prefer on this itinerary and why? I am thinking that the land scenery for the North bound part would be on the right and for the South bound part would be on the left. I am not sure about Sawyer Glacier. Any tips?

3. Right now the prices indicate an upward trend into June and July before falling off in August and September. Are the prices expected to come down a bit, stay the same or go up? If we book now, will we still get OBC/Refund if/when prices come down? Does this change whether or not we have made the final deposit?

4. How do you compare NCL to Carnival?

Regards,

Several comments-

$3k seems high; for example HAL is offering 7d cruises in the $500-$700 per person range, but the 3rd and 4th passengers are free on certain sailings in September. That's just a quick example, deals abound and fares have never been lower.

Shore excursions are expensive in AK; I recommend putting as much into them as budget allows, even if it means downgrading your cabin choice. AK cruises focus more on ports rather than the ship. The best views from the ship are on deck and not in your cabin and you will find either side offers great views.

Carnival and NCL are OK...think Chevy and Ford. Look into Princess and HAL; they are the longest-established in AK and have the biggest share of permits, a lot of land-based infrastructure, and some of the best iteneraries. Both are higher-end (Lexus or BMW) but not much more expensive. My teen actually enjoyed HAL more than Carnival despite HAL's reputation for an older demographic.

You've come to the right place and keep asking questions!

Well, it looks like the NCL Sun will NOT be sailing Alaska next season, and Carnival is going to be round trip Seattle.

Glacier Bay is FAR superior for glaciers, and I do give a big edge to the area overall. Tracy Arm is an impressive narrow fjord. Do NOT expect glacier viewing from a cruise ship. NCL does have a great advantage with their add on boat tour, WAY superior compared to cruise ship sailing. BUT about $190pp.

HAL has the "winner" itineraries out of Vancouver in my opinion. Compare them all.

Well, it looks like the NCL Sun will NOT be sailing Alaska next season, and Carnival is going to be round trip Seattle.

Glacier Bay is FAR superior for glaciers, and I do give a big edge to the area overall. Tracy Arm is an impressive narrow fjord. Do NOT expect glacier viewing from a cruise ship. NCL does have a great advantage with their addon boat tour, WAY superior compared to cruise ship sailing. BUT about $190pp.

HAL has the "winner" itineraries out of Vancouver in my opinion. Compare them all.

Thanks. Your feedback on Glacier Bay vs Sawyer Glacier titles the balance back towards Carnival.

HAL has good itineraries but they did not strike me as particularly kid-friendly, especially for a 2 year old. But heck next year the 2 year old will be 3 and maybe we won't care :)

Thanks again!

HAL has good itineraries but they did not strike me as particularly kid-friendly, especially for a 2 year old. But heck next year the 2 year old will be 3 and maybe we won't care :)

Thanks again!

Please, no flames, BUT, I would not base an Alaska touring choice on a 2 year old. :)

HAL most certainly will have kids on board, and they do run some very good kids programs. ALL lines are going to have similar passenger demographics, with middle aged and above the bulk, with all ages sailing. Even Carnival will in NO way, have the passengers sailing the Caribbean.

Archived