Looks to be very crowded???

AJeray4TN

I was just noticing on the Grand Cayman port authority website that when we are there later this month, it is at the same time as 4 other ships! I guess Wednesday's are their busy days. Anyway... has anyone been to GC with this many other ships docked? It gives an estimate for the amount of people possible... 14,000+. Am I paranoid to think that maybe we shouldn't have booked a string ray city excursion? That just seems like an awful lot of people. Most of the other days (except for Wed's) looked to be averaging around 5,000-7,000.

Just curious. Anyone else ever given this any thought?:D

...Most of the other days (except for Wed's) looked to be averaging around 5,000-7,000.

It's the slow season. The maximum we've had was more than 21,000+ pax on 11 ships.

I was just noticing on the Grand Cayman port authority website that when we are there later this month, it is at the same time as 4 other ships! I guess Wednesday's are their busy days. Anyway... has anyone been to GC with this many other ships docked? It gives an estimate for the amount of people possible... 14,000+. Am I paranoid to think that maybe we shouldn't have booked a string ray city excursion? That just seems like an awful lot of people. Most of the other days (except for Wed's) looked to be averaging around 5,000-7,000.

We've been there when there were 11 ships in port and the place was a total zoo! We'd head to the other side of the island and stay over there until the ships started heading out. Four to five ships won't be that bad at all. Enjoy your day on GC! :)

WOW! That is a lot of ships! Well, I won't sweat it then, we have a 1/2 day snorkel trip booked with Captain Bryan's I think? I am really looking forward to it. We went on a Mexican cruise last year, and didn't do any water excursions... I felt like we really missed out. (There was just not too much to do in Progreso, Mexico. Yikes!) Anyway, I am really excited about the sting rays and the snorkeling. I just wish we were in port longer. I think that the excursion will take the better part of our time.

I didn't know Grand Cayman could take 11 ships because of the tendering...I thought the port authority limited cruise ships to not more than 6...:confused:

Regardless, AJerary4TN, you should be fine. We've been there with 4 other ships (5 total). Most of the "outside" tours (Capt Marvin, Capt Bryans, etc), move quickly to get you to the reefs and stingray city to beat the crowds. Not to say there won't be a lot of boats there, but they each have their "own" space that they go to, so you will be able to have your share of rays...The cruise based excursions are packed like cattle and it's difficult to manuever.

Not long now.....

I didn't know Grand Cayman could take 11 ships because of the tendering...I thought the port authority limited cruise ships to not more than 6...:confused:

Not long now.....

At some point after Jan. 2006 they decreased the number of ships that could be in port on any given day. I remember reading this in their local paper, but I just don't remember the exact date when this happened.

I asked a waiter what he thought of that many people hitting the island, and he said it really wasn't that good. Too many people and it just didn't work. He also said (not sure if this is correct or not) that after Ivan hit, they started allowing more ships in port. I know banking is their thing there, but there are a lot of people who do not make their living from banking.

The most we have ever seen in port at one time was 11, and that was back in Jan. 2006. It was total chaos there and because of this, we considered not visiting the island for land vacations. It's hard to describe how crowded it was with that many ships in port. I remember seeing school buses being used for transportation for tourist. They looked miserable! I'm glad that they are no longer allowing 11 ships in port.

Archived