Dubrovnik - Ploce Gate entrance

Can anyone tell me if you enter the walls from Ploce Gate entrance and follow "recommended direction", which side do you walk first, the sea side or town side ?

Thank you for any information

Can anyone tell me if you enter the walls from Ploce Gate entrance and follow "recommended direction", which side do you walk first, the sea side or town side ?

Thank you for any information

When you arrive at the top of the Ploce gate, you should walk up toward the old town first. There are signs posted telling you which is the preferred direction. One will always find some who do not follow directions and create problems in certain places. When you reach the area above the Pile entrance, you can smile as they wait in a very long line.

FYI- The hours for the season have been posted, the Dubrovnik city walls are open from - 0800 to 1900 daily.

I believe there are two ports in Dubrovnik. Most cruise ships dock in Gruz, in what I would call west/nw of town. We walked less than a mile to a little shop and bought tickets for the city bus (1A or 1B) to the old town. (Side note: you may be asked for your passport there. Some people who took the ship shuttle to town had to return to retrieve their passports.)

How do I get to Polce Gate? How far is it from the pier?

There are 2 main entrances into the old town, the Pile (pill-eh) on the west and Ploce (plo-cha) on the east. If you take our local bus or the ship shuttle you will be dropped at the Pile area. The only way to arrive at the Ploce is to take a cab.

Please visit the Dubrovnik Tourist bureau website and do download the map of town, it will help you get your bearings upon arrival.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Archived