Explorer of the Seas - dropped port of call

[quote name='wadadli']I don't believe that depth is really the problem, but more so
the size of the channel and turning basin; because, Ocean Village
and Explorer carries the same depth, and Ocean Village has dock in
Tortola on numerous occassions. QM2 has been to Tortola, but anchors
on the outta harbour.

but if this is the case, how will Celebrity Solstice be able dock there?[/quote]

The bottom line is that Explorer will not be going to Tortola yet RCCL persists in deceiving potential customers that they will be sailing there.

There is no reason that RCL should still be advertizing Tortola as a Port of Call for the Explorer, if the Explorer can't go there. That is just false advertizing.

It is also bad customer service not to inform clients of changes. I pick cruises for specific ports because of friends who live there, snorkeling, or other reasons. I think people have a right to get what they pay for.

RCL should make every effort to find another port for that day of the cruise or start handing out some credits for the inconvience.

[quote name='sandytoes03']OP: You are "outraged'? Really? Sorry, dropping a port stinks, but c'mon, not THAT big of a deal.[/quote]

I don't believe that it so much that they dropped the port, but RCL is continuing to leave Tortola on as a stop and they already have no intention of visiting there. That is a big deal.....be upfront and change the itin's already, they've been dropping Tortola for months so why continue to place it as a stop? It's not like it's a last minute oops! It's months away and people are still booking that itin. and just maybe because it's advertising Tortola.

[quote name='Salt air hair']I don't believe that it so much that they dropped the port, but RCL is continuing to leave Tortola on as a stop and they already have no intention of visiting there. That is a big deal.....be upfront and change the itin's already, they've been dropping Tortola for months so why continue to place it as a stop? It's not like it's a last minute oops! It's months away and people are still booking that itin. and just maybe because it's advertising Tortola.[/QUOTE]
This is true as one of the reasons we booked this was so that my daughter could finish her first cruise in style by swimming with Dolphins. Which she has been looking forward to since last June when we booked the cruise. She still does not know that this will no longer be possible. I now am looking at other options, to let you know how difficult this is my daughter has learning dificulties and sometimes does not understand the workings of big business. Also living in the UK we do not have the option of cancelling without losing a huge deposit. This is why I feel very let down by RCI. I will still enjoy my cruise but this leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Sandra

Yes Salt In Hair,

Exactly, It should be a big deal when a company advertises a product when they have no intention of delivering it. Customers should be outraged.

Vacations are expensive luxuries that people save a long time for. Although some cruisers enjoy staying on the ships, for many the ship is just a "mobile hotel" to get them to a special destination. So the loss of a Port is a major disapointment.

[quote name='Islandbear']Yes Salt In Hair,

Exactly, It should be a big deal when a company advertises a product when they have no intention of delivering it. Customers should be outraged.

Vacations are expensive luxuries that people save a long time for. Although some cruisers enjoy staying on the ships, for many the ship is just a "mobile hotel" to get them to a special destination. So the loss of a Port is a major disapointment.[/QUOTE]
I'm wondering if RCLthinks the harbor is going to be dreged before then. I read were they put it off but it also said that they wanted to give more money for tourism. mabe they will come up with the money for dredgeing at some point in the near future.

I would think that it would be more ethical for them to advertise the cruise without the Tortola stop, until they know for sure one way or the other.

In this case they clearly know in advance that the Port is not usable at this time so they have no right to advertise it as part of the package.

When they start dredging then they can start advertising it again. The more you think about it this is not a case of the cruise ship line changing the port as per contract, but really a case of false advertising since they never could fulfill the contracted port offering to begin with.

I would think that it would be more ethical for them to advertise the cruise without Tortola stop, until they know for sure one way or the other.

In this case they clearly know in advance that the Port is not usable at this time so they have no right to advertise it as part of the package.

When they start dredging then they can start advertising it again. The more you think about it this is not a case of the cruise ship line changing the port as per contract, but really a case of false advertising since they never could fulfill the contracted port offering to begin with.

[quote name='Islandbear']I would think that it would be more ethical for them to advertise the cruise without Tortola stop, until they know for sure one way or the other.

When they start dredging then they can start advertising it again. The more you think about it this is not a case of the cruise ship line changing the port as per contract, but really a case of false advertising since they never could fulfill the contracted port offering to begin with.[/QUOTE]
Well said pity no one seems to be listening

With the economy the way it is and the layoffs that are happening all over the US, how do you propose Royal Caribbean "notify" you that Tortola is no longer a stop? As a shareholder, I don't want to see them hire 20 extra people to make phone calls and try to reach people about things like that.

[quote name='PattyG12']With the economy the way it is and the layoffs that are happening all over the US, how do you propose Royal Caribbean "notify" you that Tortola is no longer a stop? As a shareholder, I don't want to see them hire 20 extra people to make phone calls and try to reach people about things like that.[/quote]

They wouldn't have to "notify" it's no longer a stop if they just dropped it off their itin listing. RCL already knowns they're not stopping there, they known for months so why do they continue to leave it on their website, they wouldn't have to hire twenty people to make phone calls, one IT and couple of keystrokes and it's gone.

[quote name='PattyG12']With the economy the way it is and the layoffs that are happening all over the US, how do you propose Royal Caribbean "notify" you that Tortola is no longer a stop? As a shareholder, I don't want to see them hire 20 extra people to make phone calls and try to reach people about things like that.[/quote]

One mass e-mail would take care of the notification issue. But the real issue is why does a company advertise something it can't deliver, and knows it can't deliver?

[quote name='PattyG12']With the economy the way it is and the layoffs that are happening all over the US, how do you propose Royal Caribbean "notify" you that Tortola is no longer a stop? As a shareholder, I don't want to see them hire 20 extra people to make phone calls and try to reach people about things like that.[/QUOTE]
Quite simple really, just remove stop from the itinery simple Iwould have thought.

hello,

the solstice does dock there. i was on her this past march. tortola was a short stop. in my opinion not worth the stop. the baths were nice in virgin gorda. would be a better stop if there longer, imo had just enough time for the excursion and that was it.

Archived