Explorer of the Seas - dropped port of call

Hi,

This is my first post – I love the forum. Unfortunately I have to start on the negative note. We booked a 14-night cruise on Explorer on 12/20/2009. I just discovered that one of the ports of calls – Tortola was dropped. Tortola was scheduled for 12/31/09 and we will be “cruising” instead.

No notification went out, I discovered the change as I was looking to book an additional cabin for my family.

I called Crown and Anchor and was told “read the contract, we can change the itinerary any time we want”. I can understand there could be a reason why they can’t go to Tortola (for Dec 08 cruise Tortola was replaced with San Juan) but have 3 major issues:

-There should have been a courtesy notification to people why already booked the cruise. An email should have gone out or RCCL web site should have a notice posted.

-RCCL must replace Tortola with the different port-of-call, not just drop it.

-Price: RC should compensate passengers if they are not able to substitute the port.

I am outraged. As much as I love cruising with Royal Caribbean, I don’t appreciate being treated like that.

Paul

Hi,

This is my first post – I love the forum. Unfortunately I have to start on the negative note. We booked a 14-night cruise on Explorer on 12/20/2009. I just discovered that one of the ports of calls – Tortola was dropped. Tortola was scheduled for 12/31/09 and we will be “cruising” instead.

No notification went out, I discovered the change as I was looking to book an additional cabin for my family.

I called Crown and Anchor and was told “read the contract, we can change the itinerary any time we want”. I can understand there could be a reason why they can’t go to Tortola (for Dec 08 cruise Tortola was replaced with San Juan) but have 3 major issues:

-There should have been a courtesy notification to people why already booked the cruise. An email should have gone out or RCCL web site should have a notice posted. The new itinery will be shown in the itinery section of your cruise reservation on RCI's web site

-RCCL must replace Tortola with the different port-of-call, not just drop it. Why must they, they are within their rights to change or drop as many ports of call as they want, the further out you book the more chance that changes will happen. Explorers propulsion problems have been discussed at great length on this board, I'm suprised that someone who "loves the forum" has not seen this

-Price: RC should compensate passengers if they are not able to substitute the port. They will refund any port charges associated with the dropped port

I am outraged. As much as I love cruising with Royal Caribbean, I don’t appreciate being treated like that. All lines are the same in this respect

Paul

Welcome to Cruise Critic

I agree with you regarding the notification. Our itinerary was recently changed for the Explorer, and I found out through cruise critic, not from RCI. I think it would be a nice courtesy for them to extend to their passengers.

Oh, heck, when the Explorer first relocated to Bayonne, I booked a Western Caribbean cruise, because at that point, I had only done Eastern.

They switched it to an Eastern.

No one called, no one notified me.

I survived.

Actually, I switched to a Princess Western Caribbean cruise.

On the Crown Princess.

In her maiden summer.

And it listed over, causing vast amounts of damage and a fair amount of human pain and suffering.

We had to disembark in Port Canaveral and fly home, cutting the voyage short.

So, "it could be worse."

:D

I suspect they have been a little busy, with other concerns, little things like finding new ports on a day or two notice for 5 or six ships. If you don't like the new itinerary ,...cancel and find something you do. Very easy.

Welcome btw

Sorry, if you are "outraged", cancel and go on a land vacation...this happens all the time and not just with RCCL. RCCL "must not" have to replace it, as you say. Read the contract. There should be notification, that I agree with..but as a TA we get notified and send it on to our clients.....It's a long time until you cruise....don't be surprised if there are more changes.

Oh, heck, when the Explorer first relocated to Bayonne, I booked a Western Caribbean cruise, because at that point, I had only done Eastern.

I survived.

On the Crown Princess.

In her maiden summer.

And it listed over, causing vast amounts of damage and a fair amount of human pain and suffering.

So, "it could be worse."

WOW! MM i did not know you were on that voyage! I remember i was at camp and i received a very thick envelope filled with news stories/pictures of that event! What a cruise that must of been!

Welcome to CC BETEP! :D

I survived.

On the Crown Princess.

In her maiden summer.

So, "it could be worse."

Somehow I see that story as being some sort of contest-winner.

Hi,

-There should have been a courtesy notification to people why already booked the cruise. An email should have gone out or RCCL web site should have a notice posted.

-Price: RC should compensate passengers if they are not able to substitute the port.

I am outraged. As much as I love cruising with Royal Caribbean, I don’t appreciate being treated like that.

Paul

Outraged, wow. I'm so confused over people who get bent out of shape about visiting an island for 8 hours. For goodness sake, if it's that important, fly there and stay awhile. RCL does not have to replace the port, like you said, read your contract, they can and will change your "port calls" at any time, for any reason they see fit. You don't have any idea what's going on in the background, RCL may not have any choice, Tortola may have told them to find somewhere else to be. We don't know, and contractual obligations may keep RCL from telling anyone the reasons behind the decision. What are they going to compensate you for, you're still spending the same amount of time on the ship, eating the same (maybe more) meals and occupying the room. I guess I don't get it. Unless of course, my first thought is true, since there seems to be a run of these sort of first post complaints and this is the latest troll trend.

I feel your pain. RC actually cancelled that stop last fall.

I was on 2/1/09 sailing. The first sailing after the prop broke. They were unable to fix it in the Hudson river (yuck!) and we skipped San Juan to do straight to St Thomas for repairs.

I did not find out from RC I read it on my roll call. Many speculations of why it was cancelled. Fuel cost. Damage at that pier due to earth quake and hurricane.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi,

Paul

I understand your frustrations because I am in the same boat, but....

RCL reserves the right to alter or cancel any itinerary, they don't need a reason....it is in your contract.

They never send out notifications that I am aware of.

You still have plenty of time to change or cancel since you aren't cruising until Dec.

RCL "Must".....must isn't the optimal word here.....they don't have to do anything.

As for a reason for it, I can help some......

Tortola was going to have their dock expanded so they can fit large ships like the Explorer there. The dock expansion was canceled, so there is no way the Explorer can fit. From what I understand...the Explorer has never been there, and chances are.....it won't, at least for a long time. Last I read, they said it wouldn't happen because they spent the dock money on other projects.

I am also am disappointed for losing Tortola as that is the big reason that we chose our cruise on Explorer, but it certainly won't ruin my cruise. So far....we have had San Juan dropped on the way south, and Tortola will be dropped on the way back. So we are missing 2 ports unless they decide to dock somewhere else...hopefully.

I hope you can get over your frustration and just enjoy your cruise....life is too short, and most people can't even afford to take any vacations at all.

Good Luck.

RCCL had to drop Tortola due to the local authorities backing out of an arrangement to dredge the harbor. The Explorer needs a LOT of depth, more than almost every other cruise ship currently out there. Tortola was supposed to dredge the harbor by a certain date and at the last minute decided not to dredge, this left RCCL out as far as getting the Explorer in there, and no tenders available of sufficient number to serve either.

RCCL had to drop Tortola due to the local authorities backing out of an arrangement to dredge the harbor. The Explorer needs a LOT of depth, more than almost every other cruise ship currently out there. Tortola was supposed to dredge the harbor by a certain date and at the last minute decided not to dredge, this left RCCL out as far as getting the Explorer in there, and no tenders available of sufficient number to serve either.

Oh....it was dredging? I thought it was dock expansion.

Thank you for the correction there. :)

That is what was explained to me on our January 11th cruise. The captain was asked why the port was dropped and he stated that the ship drafts x feet and the harbor was like 1 foot shallower. This is why according to him other ships still call there, just not the Explorer.

I survived.

On the Crown Princess.

In her maiden summer.

So, "it could be worse."

I was on the Crown also that cruise. It was a cruise that I will always remember. I though the cruise gods were getting revenge because I jumped cruise lines :)

Here's the deal. If you're cruising, you should do so more for the ship than for the ports. If a port is totally a "make or break" deal for your vacation, then you should just travel to that island!

Cruiselines routinely change, cancel or substitute ports of call...and when you book and pay your deposit, you agree to NOT let that bother you! It's in your cruise contract. Yes, a bit of "goodwill" would be nice on the part of the cruiseline, but contractually, they have to do nothing!

Quote from Aloha43-

Tortola was going to have their dock expanded so they can fit large ships like the Explorer there. The dock expansion was canceled, so there is no way the Explorer can fit. From what I understand...the Explorer has never been there, and chances are.....it won't, at least for a long time. Last I read, they said it wouldn't happen because they spent the dock money on other projects.

You are correct ,here is the article.

http://bvibeacon.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1936&Itemid=26

As for compensation , you will get what we got $11.40

Quote from Aloha43-

You are correct ,here is the article.

http://bvibeacon.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1936&Itemid=26

As for compensation , you will get what we got $11.40

Oh, wow.....I thought I'd read it somewhere, I just couldn't remember where. :)

In October of 2005 we booked a trip (Eastern Carrib) for September of 2006. When booked we were going to Nassau, Key West, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Port Canaveral. Several months before we sailed, there was buzz about the ship not being able to go to Nassau and then to Key West because the entire ship would have to go through Customs and then go through Customs again when we reached Port Canaveral. They solved this dilema by replacing Nassau with Miami. Our Eastern Carib trip turned into a cruise to Florida with a couple of stops in Mexico. Did we let that bother us? NOPE:D Went, had a blast and would do it again in a heart beat:p For us, it's more about the trip than the destination. This works well for us since (as you can tell) we like to cruise in the Fall after our kids are in school. Which is also the height of hurricane season....you never know where you'll wind up:p

Hi,

Paul

Sorry you are upset but the Explorer or any voyager or freedom class ship can't get into Tortola. Someday perhaps when the govt takes care of dredging issues the ship may get in but for the future, no. Haven't been there yet myself. It's dropped off my 12 nighter too.

Archived