Getting from Venice Port to Piazzale Roma

I'm having trouble getting information on the fastest and easiest way to get from the main cruise terminal in Venice to the Piazalle Roma vaporetto stop. I've heard that it is about a mile if you walk (depending on which berth the ship is docked in), but I'm wondering if the cruise lines provide shuttle service or if the option to walking is taking a taxi and whether than is worth it.

For those of you who have visited Venice and docked at the main cruise terminal, please advise on the best options. Many thanks.

FYI -- We are on Legend of the Seas.

David

David, a lot depends upon when you will be in port. There is a free shuttle, run by the port authority rather than the ship. However, I am simplifying a little, but it will basically run on Saturdays, Sundays & Mondays during this Summer season.

Other days you are on your own. Also, I believe, there only seem to be pre-booked taxis available at the port. It also depends on where you intend to travel onto from Piazzale Roma. There is a slightly nearer vaporetto stop to the port (tronchetto, vaporetto number 2), or the aliliaguna may be an option for you.

David,

Depends how fit you are, there is a free shuttle bus as stated that takes you to the port entrance, then a short walk, nothing too strenuous, I wouldnt concern yourself too much.

We were there in 2007 and are back again this September.

Wes

Thanks for the info. We will be in port on a Friday and overnight througnh Saturday afternoon. I'm guessing that we will want to take the Grand Canal vaporetto (either the express of the local) a couple of times, and also the vaporetto to Murano.

Roughly how long a walk is it if the shuttle isn't running from the pier to the vaporetto stop, either at Piazzale Roma or Tronchetto?

Thanks for the info. We will be in port on a Friday and overnight througnh Saturday afternoon. I'm guessing that we will want to take the Grand Canal vaporetto (either the express of the local) a couple of times, and also the vaporetto to Murano.

Roughly how long a walk is it if the shuttle isn't running from the pier to the vaporetto stop, either at Piazzale Roma or Tronchetto?

The walk is about 15 minutes or so. Uphill near the beginning as you are going up on a bridge over a canal and a bunch of railroad tracks. All downhill from there. Not really a difficult walk.

Archived