Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

My wife and I will be visiting Dubrovnik on Friday, November 26th. We were hoping someone could tell us where the best place in the old city is to purchase local art?

Thanks.

You will be able to find many art galleries in the old town. Some of them just outside the city walls have closed down for the winter hibernation. What exactly do you mean by local art? Remember this time of year shops are only open limited hours, from 0900 until 1500, only a very few are open much past mid afternoon.

Cruise critic rules do not permit me to recommend any one particular place, since I am a local resident. Sorry...

Oil & water color paintings and any other unique art from the area. I wasnt sure if there was a specific area of town where local artist gather or if you could find art being sold at various locations in and around the old city.

Thanks!

Oil & water color paintings and any other unique art from the area. I wasnt sure if there was a specific area of town where local artist gather or if you could find art being sold at various locations in and around the old city.

Thanks!

You will have enough choices, there are many shops selling oil and water paintings. Often local vendors display a very small amount of stuff in our green market, it's not local art. This is junk made in another country with very inexpensive labor. Look carefully at the labels!

• 1 month later...

Dubrovniktravelady: thank you for all the wonderful information. One more question.

We will be coming into Gruz..there are five of us. It appears the shuttle will be the best way to get to the gate...It is not clear to me who runs the shuttle or how we find it at the port.

Can you give me more info on this..again..many thanks.

Dubrovniktravelady: thank you for all the wonderful information. One more question.

We will be coming into Gruz..there are five of us. It appears the shuttle will be the best way to get to the gate...It is not clear to me who runs the shuttle or how we find it at the port.

Can you give me more info on this..again..many thanks.

The shuttle buses are local, but they are contracted by the cruise lines. You need to contact your cruise line and request information regarding costs. I do not know what the costs are, but I do believe they are per person rates.

All shuttles drop passengers at the Pile (pee-la) square which is steps to the Pile gate entrance. Our tourist bureau has an office at the square and you can obtain one of the city maps. You can also find the site I've listed here and download it so you have an idea the Dubrovnik area.

Enjoy your time here.

The cable car has just reopened this past July, it had been destroyed during the homeland war in 1991. The cable car will take you up to the top of Mt Srd for a view of the town, which is fantastic.

Here is a great video showing a ride on the cable car:

You can see a cruise ship anchored off the old port as the camera pans.

Dubrovniklady, thank you so much for taking the time to provide so much information. We are looking forward to our visit in October of 2011.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be arriving early May? What will the weather be like?

If I could predict next May, I would be living in a very large villa on the sea. All I can tell you is our previous May. This past year spring didn't arrive until early June and it was nice but evenings were chilly in May. We often have some rain and I would dare to say that the sea may not be warm enough to swim, for some. Be sure to bring layers, it could be warm enough for shorts or you may need a rain jacket. Check again closer to your departure date, I can tell what's happening at that time. In a normal year, some folks swim on the first of May. I don't go into the Adriatic until August, but I am a wimp.

is there more than one pier in Dubrovnik for the cruise ships? we will be on the Magic in May and wonder how far to the city.

Beverly

There is only one dock which is located at our Gruz harbor. Some ships do however anchor near the old town old port. If I had the name of your ship and arrival date I could check the port authority website for you.

You should take the shp shuttle bus to the old town, it's only about a 15 minute bus ride. Walking is rather difficult since it's mostly uphill and you will spend about 45 minutes getting here, if you don't get lost.

Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Dubrovniktravellady- You are a jewel to this board!

I have read most of the thread, and was wondering if you would still recommend the Cabrio Bus tour?

We will be arriving at 1pm and disembarking at 9pm, via the NCL Jade. Do you think it would be possible to do the bus tour upon arrival and then walk the wall afterwards?

Thank you!

Edited by msalisbury

Dubrovniktravellady- You are a jewel to this board!

I have read most of the thread, and was wondering if you would still recommend the Cabrio Bus tour?

We will be arriving at 1pm and disembarking at 9pm, via the NCL Jade. Do you think it would be possible to do the bus tour upon arrival and then walk the wall afterwards?

Thank you!

The Cabrio bus tour should be done prior to any other activities. This trip will give you a very good overview of the whole town and it's only 2 hours. Upon returning to the old town you can then walk the entire wall or just the sea side. The entire walk normally takes about 2 hours if you stop for photos, just the sea side will take about 1 hour or so.

You may want to have lunch at one of our many outdoor restaurants in the middle. I noticed your arrival date is August, the busiest time of year here. And do remember it will be very hot and very humid, bring your sunhat or buy one here.

Enjoy your time in my home.

• 2 weeks later...
Dubrovniktravellady,

How much would it cost for 8 people to travel by taxi from Gruz Harbour to Pile Gate?

I guess we will have to take 2 taxis or find an 8 seater mini van type of taxi.

Would we be able to pay in Euros or US $ ?

Thanks in advance.

Doubt very much you'll find any type of taxi mini van, but 2 will work. You will not be able to pay in US dollars and it would be smart to obtain some Croatian Kuna from the ATM machines. You're wasting your Euros here, the exchange rate is less than good. With a party of 8, you may want to use the ship shuttle bus, it's less money and takes you to the same drop off point.

Dubrovniktravellady,

How much would it cost for 8 people to travel by taxi from Gruz Harbour to Pile Gate?

I guess we will have to take 2 taxis or find an 8 seater mini van type of taxi.

Would we be able to pay in Euros or US $ ?

Thanks in advance.

Doubt very much you'll find any type of taxi mini van, but 2 will work. You will not be able to pay in US dollars and it would be smart to obtain some Croatian Kuna from the ATM machines. You're wasting your Euros here, the exchange rate is less than good. With a party of 8, you may want to use the ship shuttle bus, it's less money and takes you to the same drop off point.

Dubrovniktravelady- My daughter has seen on the web that there is bungee jumping off a bridge in Dubrovnik. Is this true? And if so, is it well run? If I give in to her request do you know where can I book this for her?

Thank you so much for your help

Dawn

Dubrovniktravelady- My daughter has seen on the web that there is bungee jumping off a bridge in Dubrovnik. Is this true? And if so, is it well run? If I give in to her request do you know where can I book this for her?

Thank you so much for your help

Dawn

No, absolutely not there is no longer any bungee jumping off the bridge. It did happen several years ago, but there was no safety controls and it ended very quickly. The site she found was old and has never been updated. You may want to research some other type of activity for your daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

Dubrovniktravelady, forgive me if this question has been asked before, but trying to find it in the many pages of this thread is overwhelming. I am a little confused about the wall and walking it. I understand there are about 3 entrances and you walk counterclockwise once you are on the wall, but what about exits into Old Town if you do not want to walk the entire wall? Are the entrances and exits the same? If that is true which is the easiest walk? Entering at Pile and exiting at Ploce or entering at Ploce and exiting at Pile. Which has the best views? Thanks for your great information and patience.

Ginger

Dubrovniktravelady, forgive me if this question has been asked before, but trying to find it in the many pages of this thread is overwhelming. I am a little confused about the wall and walking it. I understand there are about 3 entrances and you walk counterclockwise once you are on the wall, but what about exits into Old Town if you do not want to walk the entire wall? Are the entrances and exits the same? If that is true which is the easiest walk? Entering at Pile and exiting at Ploce or entering at Ploce and exiting at Pile. Which has the best views? Thanks for your great information and patience.

Ginger

Yes, it's been asked before and answered, however I have no problem doing it again. Please don't forget there are many other sights to enjoy in town beside the wall. The entrance located nearest to the Pile gate, is called "Spas," it is the most crowded and the most steps (65) to the top. However if you begin there, you can walk the sea side of town and exit at the Ploce, do not miss the part above the old port! There is one small exit just prior to Ploce, called Sveti Ivan and there you can visit the Maritime Museum, but continue to Ploce. We are not sure what the fee will be this season, it did increase last year to 70 Kuna per adult. If you enjoy spectacular art works, stop at the Domincan Church on your way back to the old town, it's just on the right near the Ploce exit. Enjoy your limited time here.