Lantau Island

rollingstone

Is this too ambitious? We are in port from 8-6

Train to Tung Chung (red line-orange line)

Cable car across bay

Visit Buddha

Walk down hill via Tung Chung Valley path to bus.

Another option seems to be taking the ferry to Mui Wo on Lantau, then a bus to the Buddha.

Can anyone help me with this? There is no great hurry since we will not be sailing until April '10

Thanks

You will have plenty of time. Take the cable car which is quite an experience, go to the Buddha about 10-15 minutes walk the up a few hundred steps. There is a bus stop at the bottom that will take to to Mui Wo, a very nice 20 minutes ride, take the ferry there back to central. This will take about 3 to 4 hours which will still give you time to get around Hong Kong. I am assuming that you are on a large ship which will not be docking at Ocean terminal. Hope this helps.

We did this last month. I believe we left Ocean Terminal (Legend of the Seas docked there and I think it is a large ship 70000 tons?) around 9am. We were some of the first people taking the cable car up. We actually took the cable car down also. That ride is something else. Everyone who did this said it was one of the highlights of our trip. We even had a quick lunch up by the Big Buddha and still made it back to HK around 1:30pm in time to do some last minute shopping.

Thank you for the very helpful info.

Since we have been to Hong Kong before (on a land tour), this will be the perfect way to spend our day! I was just concerned about the time but now I see that it will not be a problem.

One more thing, is the cable car cash only or can you use a credit card?

Archived