Pinel Island

bumping. We have a Dream cruise in 13 days....am also planning to go to Pinel on our own...these posts were older...and updated info to share!!??? Can we rent snorkeling eqiupment once we are there?? And get taxi driver cell number and arrange pick up time to get back. Any other recommendations?? Great for a family of 4??

bumping. We have a Dream cruise in 13 days....am also planning to go to Pinel on our own...these posts were older...and updated info to share!!??? Can we rent snorkeling eqiupment once we are there?? And get taxi driver cell number and arrange pick up time to get back. Any other recommendations?? Great for a family of 4??

I have read here that snorkel equipment is available to rent on Pinel for $15.

Sure, you can get a cell number for a taxi and hope that they come back when you call, but a party of four is less desirable than a van full of 10 from Orient back to the ship.

We don't have any personal experience with this, but have read of horror stories here and elsewhere of a taxi that didn't come back and having to find a local to give them a ride back to the Cruise Facility.

My personal recommendation would be to do Pinel when you have your own rental car, The $28 for the ferry and taking perhaps up to an hour from you limited time on the island what with waiting both sides and the 10 minute trip each way might get me to consider other options.

gary

• 1 month later...

We are going to be in St. Martin March 27th and I have reserved 2 kayaks through Caribbean Paddling. Check out trip advisor for reviews. The proprietor gave me a contact for a taxi and said that if there is any problem for the way home he would be there to make sure we got back to the boat.

I am really looking forward to Pinel!

Thanks for the reply...

...still waiting to hear from someone regarding the kayaking... anyone?

Surprised to see my old thread here. We have since been to Pinel twice. We really like it. Our DD loves the iguanas. We also like the easy hike to the other side if the island.

The very easiest way to get there us rent a car and drive. We rent from Coastal right at the pier. They are really friendly and not expensive. They offer GPS for $5 and it has all the major sights preprogrammed. Driving is on the right and the roads to the ferry are marked. You can get off the ship, get a car, and arrive at the ferry for the first boat that leaves.

It's nice to drive yourself. I like to stop for photos when I see something interesting.