Zeebrugge to Brugge

We are on the Grandprincess in July and hope to go to Brugge. My hubby wants to go with the ships trip but it seems a little expensive at $69. What is the best way to do it indendently and is it difficult.

Jane

As I understand from another post, there is a small train station called Zeebrugge-Strand close to the port(walkable) and from there trains depart to Brugges hourly, if not more. The ride takes only 16 minutes and we all know that it will not cost 69 dollars!! I think this is the only way to go.

You could find other to share a taxi for less than ship's tour maybe more than the train less hassle

Check your roll call maybe others have a taxi pre booked or you can just get one at the dock

Go to the following CC link to read all about the various ways to go from Zeebrugge to Bruges. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=729070

In a nutshell, there are three (possibly four) options.

1. Take the ship tour which is expensive at $69 pp.

2. Take a taxi at 90 euros roundtrip. Still no bargain, but you could round up eight people total to share the cost.

3. Walk to the train station in Zeebrugge. The train costs 2.5 euros one way.

4. If your ship offers a shuttle to the train station in the next little town, then do that. It is the best of all options, if available. Check the cruise line.

When you arrive at the train station in Bruges, you might consider taking a wonderful walk into the old parts of town. Have a look at http://www.*****.com/Brugge%205.html

Have fun.

Edited by Lair Bear

Hello,

I live near Brugge and can give you some good advice.

Take the train from Zeebrugge strand (near the cruiseships, a really very small trainstation) to Brugge (NOT Brugge Sint-Pieters). It takes 16 minutes. You have a train every hour, 33 minutes after hour : 7.33 am, 8.33 am, 9.33 am, 10.33 am...

For a train back to Zeebrugge strand there is a train 9 minutes after hour: 1.09pm, 2.09pm,3.09pm, 4.09 pm... Its is really easy and inexpensive.

There is a website http://www.b-rail.be . If you click en. you will find everything in English.

When you arrive at the station in Brugge, evrything is walkable. It is not a very big city.

Go to the "Minnewater and "Begijnhof first. It is closeby, only 5 minutes. Everyone knows where it is and when you cros the street at the main square before the trainstation I think you already see signs.

Do not miss this. It is really very nice.

Take a boatride on the canals. Visit the "grote markt", "de Burg". Both have beautiful architecture.

I do not know in what you are interested for the rest: let mae know and I will give you soms advice.

Be sure to buy chocolates. You find the best ones at the shop called "Leonidas" of "The chocolateline" (you find them in the largest shoppingstreet). The chocolateline is at a little square in the shopping street). There is even a chocolatemuseum.

ann

Perhaps you could help us with one idea and some directions.

When we were in Bruges several years ago there were a few lace shops where older ladies were still showing the art of making delicate lace by hand. When we were in Brugge last year, I could not find any along the route that we walked.

I know that the Kantcentrum on Peperstraat has demonstations, but that is a bit further north-east from the main area. What about the museum on Dijver? I know they have a great collection of nice lace, but are there any demos there?

Are there any shops closer to the Markt where they still have some ladies showing this wonderful art???

Hi,

On that question I have to do some research because I really do not know. Every year there are less and less shops because young people do not want to learn how to do it. And to be honnest less and less people buy them because it is really expensive.

I'll let you know if I have the answer.

You will be in Brugge on a Saturday. That means that you can go to the market on "'t Zand" and the streets around. It is a really big one and is also nice to do. They sell about everything.

We will be in Norway that period on the Century (Celebrity cruises).

anneke

I have a question about Bruges. What is it like on a Sunday? Will shops be closed?

No, shops will be open, museums are open, etc. In fact, you may find that going into the cathedral and Onze Lieve Vrouwe Kerk might be interesting when a service takes place. Museums in Europe are generally closed on Monday.

Actually I am not sure about the beer brewery but I would be surprised if they close on Sundays.

Again, keep in mind that the old parts are more for tourists rather than for the locals to do their shopping.

Edited by Lair Bear

That's a good question. I assume they know when the cruise ships are docked and make the most of it.

The vast majority of visitors to Bruges come by car, bus or public transportation from all over Europe. The cruise ship trade is, of course important, but you will find more Europeans in town than US or Canadian visitors.

Hello,

Some shops are open, but not al of them . Tourist shops are always open on a Sunday. Fors museums, churches.. you will not have problems on a Sunday.

I you are looking for a small, beautiful and very romantic restaurant go to "het Zwaantje". The food is really delicious there It is a little bit out of the center, but it is worth the trip.

Have a nice trip.

ann

• 1 month later...
Hello,

Take the train from Zeebrugge strand (near the cruiseships, a really very small trainstation) to Brugge (NOT Brugge Sint-Pieters). It takes 16 minutes. You have a train every hour, 33 minutes after hour : 7.33 am, 8.33 am, 9.33 am, 10.33 am...

For a train back to Zeebrugge strand there is a train 9 minutes after hour: 1.09pm, 2.09pm,3.09pm, 4.09 pm... Its is really easy and inexpensive.

There is a website www.b-rail.be . If you click en. you will find everything in English.

When you arrive at the station in Brugge, evrything is walkable. It is not a very big city.

Go to the "Minnewater and "Begijnhof first. It is closeby, only 5 minutes. Everyone knows where it is and when you cros the street at the main square before the trainstation I think you already see signs.

Take a boatride on the canals. Visit the "grote markt", "de Burg". Both have beautiful architecture.

I do not know in what you are interested for the rest: let mae know and I will give you soms advice.

Be sure to buy chocolates. You find the best ones at the shop called "Leonidas" of "The chocolateline" (you find them in the largest shoppingstreet). The chocolateline is at a little square in the shopping street). There is even a chocolatemuseum.

ann

I will have 3 days in Brugge the end of Aug. I will be there on the week-end and understand week-ends are very crowded. I have found some tours to Flanders Fields. Is this really a must see? It seems there is so much to see just staying in Brugge. Should I just focus on what's in Brugge? Do you have any suggestions being a local? I like to go off the beaten tourist track, gain a sense of the area, and find the hidden gems the locals keep for themselves. I understand there is an interesting cemetary. I thought about renting a bike, but I am not a bike rider. I don't want to fall and get injured. Is there any in town public transportation?

I'd appreciate some suggestions for great spots where the locals eat and what to try....reasonably priced. I read there is a place for great stew in city center. Do you know where that might be?

How far is Oudenaarde? How would I get there? Is it worth a visit? What about Damme and Lissewege?

I will also have 2 days in Antwerp and 1 day in Nijmegen. How's public transportation in those cities for seeing some sites?

Do you think I will need to wear a jacket and plan for rain during the day the end of Aug. into mid Sept.?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hello,

There is a website www.b-rail.be . If you click en. you will find everything in English.

ann

Can you suggest any nice gardens or parks in or around Brugge? Are there any flower markets?

• 3 weeks later...

on another string, one post suggested there is no train on Sundays from Zebrugge to Brugge; the train schedule is not necessarily clear on that point, although it indicates the train does not run every day. We will be there Aug 23rd on Oceania Regatta. Anyone out there who can help clarify? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bob H

on another string, one post suggested there is no train on Sundays from Zebrugge to Brugge; the train schedule is not necessarily clear on that point, although it indicates the train does not run every day. We will be there Aug 23rd on Oceania Regatta. Anyone out there who can help clarify? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bob H

Call the Belgium Tourist Office in New York City. They will research the train information for you. The Brugges web page also has info. The information that I have on the train states it runs daily Spring into Fall.

The distance between the two cities is not that great. An option is to try for a taxi share on your ship's CC Roll Call. If there is no Sun. train, you will not be the only passengers looking for a way to get to Brugge.

Thanks for the effort to check on the trains. I looked at the schedule and related info, but the byzantine nature of some of these things is a testament to bureaucracy...as you said, if there is no train, there will be lots of folks looking for taxis, so we can match up with a few and cut costs that way, etc.

Bob H

ebobh,

We were there last summer. We reserved a taxi with info@brugesetaxiservice.be and he was there waiting for us.

Per this company only reserved taxis are let into the pier area. If you wait till your arrival to call for one, it could take 45 min. for one to get there. Taxis will hold 8 passengers. Just wanted to let you know ahead of time in case the train doesn't work out.

Here is what I mentioned several months ago on another thread:

It started to rain when our ship pulled into the harbor of Zeebrugge. Yet eleven of us were determined to walk to the train station. It is only 1.4 miles to the small station called Zeebrugge Strand and the train operates from there only during the summer months when the beach crowd comes here. But not today; the beach was deserted.

Some cruise lines provide a bus shuttle to the train station in the town just south-west from here, Blankenberge , but our cruise line Oceania only provides a bus to take you to Bruges for $89 per person. Taxis cost 90 euros round trip. The train was 2.5 euros one way. Total distance to Bruges is ten miles as the crow flies. So you can see our incentive. It is not that we cannot afford the higher rip-off prices, but sometimes you have to stand up for some principals.

The road is well paved but obviously not intended for pedestrians. The traffic was light and detoured across the center stripe when we approached. We could also step onto the rocky edging but never felt in danger. I am sure many of our fellow passengers who had taken a taxi must have thought our little entourage was crazy, but none of us regretted what we did. One of our newly made friends is 82 years old and uses a cane; yet he never stopped and was more enthusiastic than most of us.

b060a.jpgb063a.jpg

The rain turned into a drizzle and after about 0.5 miles we climbed an on-ramp to a round-about. At the top we crossed the road and found a footpath that took us around and down the other side. Now we could clearly see the train tracks with the electric wiring above. In the distance we saw some tall hotel buildings and the wide beach that extended into the sea. We crossed the road again and found a bicycle/foot path that took us to the hotels and the tunnel that leads to the train platform. Notice the blue wavy sign below. It had taken us about 25 minutes to do the walk.

b062b.jpg

A few people were waiting for the train. One was a local woman who admired our intentions and gave us some insight about buying tickets and where to get off in Bruges. Her English was near perfect. When the train pulled in, I went to see the conductor in the back to see if we could get a ‘group fare’, but he smiled and politely declined. After the train left the little platform station, he came to collect the 2.5 euros for the one-way fare. We never asked about a round trip ticket.

b070a.jpg

Afterwards we learned that two people in our group failed to buy a ticket at the train station in Bruges for the return trip and were fined seven euros by the nasty female conductor on the train back. So, be sure to ask for a round trip ticket or buy one at the station, not on the train. Only when there is no ticket machine can you pay on the train.

In Bruges we all took the walking tour I had described earlier on our family web site and we all enjoyed Bruges to the fullest. At about 3:30 six of us decided to go back and take a cab instead of walking to the train. The fare was 45 euros and we were back at the ship in a few minutes while the cabby chatted and hit well over 140 km per hour scarring our female companions into silent prayers.

http://www.*****.com/Brugge%205.html I will make a couple minor changes to this walking tour, but I was surprised how the route starts at such a peaceful and beautiful park and lake and then slowly winds its way to the typical tourist attractions in the city center. A more detailed description of our experience will be forthcoming.

I forgot to mention that there was an earlier thread with lots of info. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=729073&highlight=zeebrugge&page=2

I hope this all helps. Perhaps some day all cruise ship companies will provide a shuttle service to the train station. It should be so easy to do that!!!! But alas, it cuts into their profits. They rather charge you for a simple transfer by bus for the ten miles it takes a crow to get there.

Taxis charge 90 euros roundtrip! The train costs 2 euros one way.

Edited by Lair Bear

Hello,

Some shops are open, but not al of them . Tourist shops are always open on a Sunday. Fors museums, churches.. you will not have problems on a Sunday.

I you are looking for a small, beautiful and very romantic restaurant go to "het Zwaantje". The food is really delicious there It is a little bit out of the center, but it is worth the trip.

Have a nice trip.

ann

-Do you have the exact address for this restaurant? We will be in a hotel near t'Zand? Can we walk to het Zwaantje? What do you recommend from the menu?

-What is your opinion of Tom's Diner? Is it possible to walk from t'Zand area? or how do you suggest we get there?

-Suggestions for a nice, reasonably priced lunch

-Bike to Damme or take the boat?

-How long is the drive to Flanders Field from Brugge?

-Where do the locals buy chocolate and what name should we look for?

-Where is a grocery store to buy soda and snacks?

-Where to go for the best ice cream and waffles?

Hi, I bow to your magnificence (really). I have referred dozens of folks to your travel page describing the Baltic cruise last year, and applaud the time and energy it must have taken to create such a descriptive, complete travelog.

I have loaded the walking tours on my laptop, and only regret I'm not savvy enough to download it to an iPhone to take with me (the PDF's run pages and pages, as you know, and I didn't want to look too much like the disoriented tourist i will be...).

We are taking the same cruise this year (leaving in a couple weeks), and I appreciate the preview of some of what we might expect. If we travel together in the future, you can be our leader...that is, of course, if I survive the various busy roadways enroute to train stations.

Regards, Bob H