Snorkling requirements

geneology

I am going on my first cruise to Bermuda this August. From reading here it seems it is best to venture out on your own. I know I can rent snorkeling equipment from Horseshoe bay and then venture out on our own. Is Church bay near Horseshoe bay? Do you need special instructions to snorkel? If so how do we get these instructions so we can go off and explore on our own? Thank you inadvance for any advice.:cool:

Horseshoe Bay and Church Bay are both on the soulth shore but not close enough that you could rent equipment at one and snorkel at the other one as well.

There is one protected cove at Horseshoe that is ok for snorkeling but in general it is not the best place to shorkel. I have not seen many, if any at all, snorkeling in the large beach area.

Church Bay is good for snorkeling but it can get rough so you need to be really careful. It's a smaller beach than Horseshoe, not as popular so not as crowded which Horseshoe tends to get.

The Snorkel Park right at Dockyard may be a good option since you have not snorkeled before. It may not be a beautiful as the south shore beaches but it's protected, shallow to start out and a good place for beginners. The only thing you really have to get used to is breathing through your mouth.

You are going to love Bermuda and snorkeling.

I would not suggest Church Bay for snorkeling beginners. It can be rough and also have some currents. I think that it would be best to start in a protected cove such as Snorkel Park. (quick walk from your ship) Or if you go over to St. George's, Tobacco Bay would be nice. I learned to snorkel at Snorkel Park. It is shallow, flat water. Once you get used to the snorkel, swim out farther towards the yellow pole for some great fish.

If you plan to snorkel on a few days, it would be cheaper to purchase a beginner's snorkel set at Sam's Club or Costco--I think Walmart has them too. You can get a set there for the price you will pay to rent for one day. Check out the snorkel and dive board on CC for some more tips.

Have fun!

I agree. I totally use my "El Cheapo" snorkel set when I travel. It cost me almost nothing and I can pack it up and go wherever I want.

Even though they clean the rental equipment, it kind of skeeves me out thinking about so many people putting it in their mouths before me. Also, it leaves a disinfectant taste inside.

Thanks for all the great tips -- I will look for the snorkel equipment in the stores mentioned. I thought I read somewhere that snorkel park was dirty and crowded and it is better to go elsewhere. I guess not since we are new to snorkeling.

I thought I read somewhere that snorkel park was dirty and crowded and it is better to go elsewhere. I guess not since we are new to snorkeling.

I always chuckle a bit when someone complains and says a place is crowded.....THEY were there.:p Everyone wants a place with no one else around.:D Here's a picture of Snorkel Park courtesy of Radio who does the best live reports.

http://public.fotki.com/Radio88/grandeur-of-the-sea-2/grandeur-of-the-sea/is00159.html

Thanks for all the great tips -- I will look for the snorkel equipment in the stores mentioned. I thought I read somewhere that snorkel park was dirty and crowded and it is better to go elsewhere. I guess not since we are new to snorkeling.

I went to snorkel park a couple of weeks ago and it was not dirty or crowded. We were on the Majesty and at the dockyard was the spirit and grandeur of the seas and it was still not too crowded. There were more people milling about the dockyard than at the park.

1094433887_BermudaMay2009snorkelpark1.jpg.787d5fbd302dfd80a8a7e8fa9bd94d93.jpg

934148641_BermudaMay2009snorkelparkDockyard.jpg.a97adae8434295f981cea659de5b123c.jpg

I always chuckle a bit when someone complains and says a place is crowded.....THEY were there.:p Everyone wants a place with no one else around.:D Here's a picture of Snorkel Park courtesy of Radio who does the best live reports.

http://public.fotki.com/Radio88/grandeur-of-the-sea-2/grandeur-of-the-sea/is00159.html

If this is what people are calling crowded then they have not been to Jones Beach, Long Island, New York in July!!!:eek: LOL:D

Archived