Need help with Baltic cruise - London/Harwich hotel

We are taking the Skandinavian/Russia cruise next May. i know it is early, but I love the planning. We will fly in to London and leave from Harwich. Should we book a hotel a couple of days early in London or go on to Harwich and do the same. Any ideas as to what hotel would be a good deal. By that I mean nice, but not outrageous in price. I know I will have lots of questions during the year so please accept my apologies for that, but my total thanks for helping me. You made our Med cruise perfect and we thank you for all your wonderful information.

We are taking the Skandinavian/Russia cruise next May. i know it is early, but I love the planning. We will fly in to London and leave from Harwich. Should we book a hotel a couple of days early in London or go on to Harwich and do the same. Any ideas as to what hotel would be a good deal. By that I mean nice, but not outrageous in price. I know I will have lots of questions during the year so please accept my apologies for that, but my total thanks for helping me. You made our Med cruise perfect and we thank you for all your wonderful information.

What ports do you plan to visit?

I recommend London - before or after. There is really not much to do or see in Harwich. And - Harwich is only about 2 hours from London.

First, go to Roll Calls forums and look if there is any thread about your cruise.. if there isn't any thread yet, you can start one: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Next, search information on these boards about each port who you visit.. there are dozens posts and threads for each port.. for some of these ports I have make a website (see my signature).. if you have any special question just open a thread...

We had a day and a half in London before our cruise and this just wasn't enough time. Some people had two or more days and said it wasn't enough time either. By the time we signed on for the cruise all the hotels in Harwich were booked. I would have preferred to stay in Harwich. Transportation from London to Harwich on the trains would have been a nightmare for us because they were doing work on the lines. Fortunately a wonderful person (Jan) on our roll call organized a coach for about 30 of us. This was much better and cheaper than transfers from the cruiseline. Another great advantage to this was we met several CC members well before our meet and greet. We developed relationships on the sidewalk while waiting for the coach.

I would have liked a more relaxed time hanging out at the harbor than trying to cram London in a day.

Book early if you decide to stay in Harwich. On our cruise of 2000, 1400 were Brits and many of them drove to Harwich before the cruise.

Have fun planning. It was a great trip.

Here are a few ideas:

Tallinn: Walk around the upper and lower city. Quite doable. If you want a recorded guide go to the chamber of commerce and they will rent you one quite reasonable.

St. Petersberg: Get a private company ie Anastasia (whom I've used) or Red October or Denrus, which have great reps also. Get together with your roll call and set up a group ahead of time. You will need to supply the tour company with a copy of the information page of your passports.

Stockholm: Walk around Gamla Stan, also quite doable. You may wish to go to the Vasa Museum as well. Don't miss the changing of the guard around noon.

Copenhagen: Do a ho-ho bus or walk to and from the city.

Da Bear

thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have visited several of the port sites and am getting more excited with each day. I definitely love this part of the cruise also with all the ideas that I have gotten off of CC. There is nothing like help from those who know because of experience.

Again thanks.

Definately recommend London for a few days before. There is a train direct from liverpool station in London to Harwich and it stops right at the train terminal!! there is a special non-stop most saturdays (leaves about noon and takes about 1 hour 10 mins).. but there are also trains running every hour anyway and the 'not special' ones that have some stops are only 20 mins longer. You can find detail at http://www.nationalexpresseastanglia.com/train_times/train_service_alterations/cruise_ship_boat_trains__1

just make sure if you're searching for a train you select departure from liverpool STREET to Harwich INTERNATIONAL.

In terms of hotels in London we've stayed at the Holiday Inn Mayfair. good price (by London standards, good location), but we are a family of four and looking for larger room with 2 double beds. If it is only the two of you your travel agent can probably recommend some nice places with even better pricing.

When in London recommend the hop on hop off bus or just get a travel card to ride by tube and bus everywhere. And of course a show at night!

Parker6 thanks for the information. Yes, we have decided to stay in London at least a day and a half. A day when we fly in and then another day to explore. It is just the two of us, but we will keep your suggestion in mind for the Holiday Inn. I am counting down the days for sure - 370 as of today!! I know, most people are working and wondering if I have a life - Yes, for sure.:)

We just got back from the Baltic cruise. I planned our cruise a year ahead. The Hilton in Jan. sometimes has a half price sale package that includes breakfast. Ruben's at the Palace and Park Plaza also have specials. I found the best time to look for hotel specials was from Jan. to April. For a budget hotel the Premier Travel Inn has good prices all year long. The Premier Travel Inn is on the lines of a Hampton Inn in the US. The one at Kingscross/ St Pancrass has very good reviews on Tripadvisor. I booked the Premier Travel Inn months out and changed to Ruben's on arrival and Hilton on departure after the first of the year when I got specials. Keep checking the prices until your departure, they will go up and down. Book something far out that does not have a penality to cancel and look for a better price.

If you are not going to Harwich the first part of May then the train is easy to take from London Liverpool Street Station. Sometimes they pick this time to have work on the train lines. The train was changed to a bus on the out bound trip to Harwich but on the return we where able to take the train and it was so easy. It takes about 1 1/2 hrs. and is next to the cruise terminal. You do not have to wait to take the cruise train at noon you can take a train that will get you there earlier. We did not wait for the cruise train and got to London early on our return. If you check on the Harwich International Port web site they list the days the train is replaced by the bus.

Archived