EPIC dilemma resolved

dfishner

When I first started to hear about the Epic I was excitied and thought I would take Oasis then do Epic after that then I started to see what Epic was about and thought no way Jose no main dining room, surcharges in lounges to me that is not what cruising is about especially charging for lounges. As Epic started to roll out with some of the reveals I started to warm up to it again and now with Blue Man Group and Cirque show and dinner I thought now that is novel and became even more interested. Saw the prices for Epic and thought heck they are reasonable as well so now Epic is now back in the playing field and am considering it after we sail Oasis. These two ships are very different in who they attract. I find Oasis to be more family oriented and Epic seems to be more adult focused by their offerings. If Oasis is Disney then Epic is Downtown Disney with hip restaurants and entertainment.

I am glad we will be going on the Pearl this December to have the NCL experience to see if we like it if we do and no reason to think we won't then will look at booking Epic on our Pearl cruise.It is funny how a little time and what some reveals can do to change ones mind.

The pricing differences for the Oasis and the Epic are very BIG! I had the Oasis booked and cancelled ,because it just didn't make sense to spend so much money. I am paying less for a suite and inside on the Epic than I would be for a balcony quad on the Oasis. AND you can not beat NCL's suite sweet life!

You will love NCL. The Pearl is a great ship to be your first NCL experience.

Glad that you are reconsidering the Epic.

When the announcements such as "no main dining rooms" were made, rumors ran rampid. People jumped to the conclusion that all food would be an extra charge except for the buffet. Same about the cover charge for some of the lounges...people assumed that there would be extra charges for all of them.

I never bought into all the rumors and patiently waited for NCL to make announcements concerning those issues, but I must admit that I never wanted to sail the Epic. I just have no desire to be on a ship with 4000 passengers. However, the more I read about her, the more I'm changing my mind. I just might have to sail that monstrocity.......just once. :D

CG

When I first started to hear about the Epic I was excitied and thought I would take Oasis then do Epic after that then I started to see what Epic was about and thought no way Jose no main dining room, surcharges in lounges to me that is not what cruising is about especially charging for lounges. As Epic started to roll out with some of the reveals I started to warm up to it again and now with Blue Man Group and Cirque show and dinner I thought now that is novel and became even more interested. Saw the prices for Epic and thought heck they are reasonable as well so now Epic is now back in the playing field and am considering it after we sail Oasis. These two ships are very different in who they attract. I find Oasis to be more family oriented and Epic seems to be more adult focused by their offerings. If Oasis is Disney then Epic is Downtown Disney with hip restaurants and entertainment.

I am glad we will be going on the Pearl this December to have the NCL experience to see if we like it if we do and no reason to think we won't then will look at booking Epic on our Pearl cruise.It is funny how a little time and what some reveals can do to change ones mind.

I do not think that the draw is very different. I am not a family and am crawn to both. We are looking to book the Epic in 2011. I want to hear about it first. The Oasis will be great, but the Epic can be a disaster if all these charges add up to be too much. I would expect some of the charges to be dropped. Just my thoughts.

When the announcements such as "no main dining rooms" were made, rumors ran rampid. People jumped to the conclusion that all food would be an extra charge except for the buffet. Same about the cover charge for some of the lounges...people assumed that there would be extra charges for all of them.

I never bought into all the rumors and patiently waited for NCL to make announcements concerning those issues, but I must admit that I never wanted to sail the Epic. I just have no desire to be on a ship with 4000 passengers. However, the more I read about her, the more I'm changing my mind. I just might have to sail that monstrocity.......just once. :D

CG

Heck I remember when I said I would never go on an NCL cruise and here I am booked on the Pearl. My views of cruising have really changed over the last couple of years. I like what NCL offers and do like the idea of a relaxed enviroment. We stopped taking dress up clothes about a 2 years ago and have skipped formal nights just not our thing anymore. I wear a suit everyday for work that is the last thing I want to do on vacation. I will wait until Epic has a year under it belt which I am doing with Oasis like ships that are broken in, on ships that big there are just to many things that could go wrong especially when they are new..

Heck I remember when I said I would never go on an NCL cruise and here I am booked on the Pearl. My views of cruising have really changed over the last couple of years. I like what NCL offers and do like the idea of a relaxed enviroment. We stopped taking dress up clothes about a 2 years ago and have skipped formal nights just not our thing anymore. I wear a suit everyday for work that is the last thing I want to do on vacation. I will wait until Epic has a year under it belt which I am doing with Oasis like ships that are broken in, on ships that big there are just to many things that could go wrong especially when they are new..

It's the same thing as not buying a car in the first year it comes out. Wait until all the kinks are taken out. Same as with software, wait until the bugs are corrected and get the version upgrade. :D

Cruisin Gram, I was like you. I had no interest in cruising a ship that would carry 4,000 passengers at a time. :eek: I like ships to be way smaller than that. But, as more information has come out about the Epic, I have to admit that I am intrigued and might find myself sailing on her just to check it out. I was showing my 19 year old daughter all the pictures and information yesterday. Her response? "Mom, why WOULDN'T we want to sail on this ship?"

CG

Seems like it is always best to wait for announcements.

I have to laugh at the idea of rampid rumors. Haha.

I agree. The rumors were running rampant as soon as the first announcements were made.

Luckily we have some accuracy now...though I do wish they'd pronounce on the expectation of privacy between the front door of the cabin, and the shower / toilet areas.

Archived