Flights

alanmal

Yes-what do you need to know??

Which is better to fly from Saigon to Hanoi in the evening or in the morning, to tour hanoi for 1 day, and the same idea, morning or evening flight from Hanoi to DaNang, to tour DaNang, and then meet up with the ship that early evening

TNX

Which is better to fly from Saigon to Hanoi in the evening or in the morning, to tour hanoi for 1 day, and the same idea, morning or evening flight from Hanoi to DaNang, to tour DaNang, and then meet up with the ship that early evening

TNX

I don't quite understand. You are flying from SGN to HAN, then a separate ticket from HAN to DAD? Are these continuous trips or separate trips? Which cruise ship do you have to meet? That info would probably help me give you a better answer because my first inclination is fly SGN/DAD, then on to Hanoi. But maybe you are meeting the ship in DaNang???

You will have to fly JetStar, unless you want to fly from SGN to either HKG or BKK and back into Vietnam to Hanoi. JetStar flights fill up FAST because it is the only relatively cheap carrier in Vietnam (and they have just recently opened DAD flights-late 2008). Even though JetStar's website says you can book through DAD, I had to get a travel agent in Saigon to get me a ticket in February. I ended up on Vietnam Airlines flying to Phnom Penh, back through SGN and on to DAD-long convoluted day.

It is about 40 minutes from the Hanoi airport into the "tourist" area of Hanoi. About 30 minutes to the airport from downtown Saigon. Take those times into consideration.

I personally would fly in the evening from SGN to HAN and early morning from HAN to DAD. DaNang is not huge and traffic isn't usually as bad. Are you spending time in Hanoi city proper or are you going to Halong Bay??? That presents an whole other set of problems.

Let me know if I can help you further.

I don't quite understand. You are flying from SGN to HAN, then a separate ticket from HAN to DAD? Are these continuous trips or separate trips? Which cruise ship do you have to meet? That info would probably help me give you a better answer because my first inclination is fly SGN/DAD, then on to Hanoi. But maybe you are meeting the ship in DaNang???

You will have to fly JetStar, unless you want to fly from SGN to either HKG or BKK and back into Vietnam to Hanoi. JetStar flights fill up FAST because it is the only relatively cheap carrier in Vietnam (and they have just recently opened DAD flights-late 2008). Even though JetStar's website says you can book through DAD, I had to get a travel agent in Saigon to get me a ticket in February. I ended up on Vietnam Airlines flying to Phnom Penh, back through SGN and on to DAD-long convoluted day.

It is about 40 minutes from the Hanoi airport into the "tourist" area of Hanoi. About 30 minutes to the airport from downtown Saigon. Take those times into consideration.

I personally would fly in the evening from SGN to HAN and early morning from HAN to DAD. DaNang is not huge and traffic isn't usually as bad. Are you spending time in Hanoi city proper or are you going to Halong Bay??? That presents an whole other set of problems.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Arriving on Ocean Princess on Dec 8th, 2009 for Saigon. I wanted to tour with private guide all that day, then fly to Hanoi that evening or next morning and tour Hanoi again with a private guide, as the ship leaves Phu My for a day at sea (Dec 9th), then either fly to DaNang the nite of the 9th or the morning of the 10th, tour DaNang with a private guide and then back to the ship at Chan May. This way I will not waste a day at sea.

TNX

Arriving on Ocean Princess on Dec 8th, 2009 for Saigon. I wanted to tour with private guide all that day, then fly to Hanoi that evening or next morning and tour Hanoi again with a private guide, as the ship leaves Phu My for a day at sea (Dec 9th), then either fly to DaNang the nite of the 9th or the morning of the 10th, tour DaNang with a private guide and then back to the ship at Chan May. This way I will not waste a day at sea.

TNX

Got it-take the evening flight into Hanoi and the early morning flight into DaNang. You MAY have to get a travel agent involved to book the tickets before you arrive Vietnam. I sure wouldn't try to buy them in Vietnam at the last minute. You will end up on Vietnam Airlines at twice the price. Hopefully, JetStars website will allow booking to DAD soon.

I just looked at the cruise schedule. IF you want to see Halong Bay, you have the perfect opportunity (if you don't mind the extra hotel bills). Fly SGN to DAD-tour, then fly DAD to HAN. Look around HAN, then you could go to Halong Bay BECAUSE the day after leaving Chan May is another sea day. Reboard the ship in HKG. There are a lot of flights from HAN to HKG. Just a thought because Halong Bay is pretty special but it is about a 2-3 hour drive (horrible traffic), so you can't see Hanoi and Halong in the same day.

Enjoy!!!

Got it-take the evening flight into Hanoi and the early morning flight into DaNang. You MAY have to get a travel agent involved to book the tickets before you arrive Vietnam. I sure wouldn't try to buy them in Vietnam at the last minute. You will end up on Vietnam Airlines at twice the price. Hopefully, JetStars website will allow booking to DAD soon.

I just looked at the cruise schedule. IF you want to see Halong Bay, you have the perfect opportunity (if you don't mind the extra hotel bills). Fly SGN to DAD-tour, then fly DAD to HAN. Look around HAN, then you could go to Halong Bay BECAUSE the day after leaving Chan May is another sea day. Reboard the ship in HKG. There are a lot of flights from HAN to HKG. Just a thought because Halong Bay is pretty special but it is about a 2-3 hour drive (horrible traffic), so you can't see Hanoi and Halong in the same day.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks for the extra tip, might just do that.

Archived