What are need to know items for first time Alaskan Cruisers?

naylenk

I have booked a 7-day round trip cruise on HAL Volendam from Vancouver for my friend's parents. Ports include Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan as well as scenic cruising in Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay.

I am meeting with them tomorrow and I'm looking for any important tips/ideas/suggestions you may have for embarkation, the Volendam, any of the ports above, etc.

Up to this point I myself have only done Caribbean cruises and I know that there are so many very knowlegeable people on these boards that can help me provide them with information to help them have the best possible trip!

Thank you so much in advance!

We just returned from our Alaska cruise yesterday and we stopped at two of the ports you mentioned Jueanu and Skagway

Take a rain jacket for sure! and good walking shoes. I would be sure to book shore excursions before you board the ship as we heard several people that wanted to do some that were sold out. We had 3 or 4 ships in the ports that we went to so that made for more doing excursions. We really enjoyed the whale watching in Jueanu and the Train ride in Skagway. Alaska is beautiful , we took alot of pictures and so make sure to have a good camera with lots of cards. We also had binoculars that came in handy.

If you drink coffee- my husband highly reccomends bringing an insulated coffee mug with you for your glacier day. He was very happy I threw his in! We were up on deck watching the view- he had his hot coffee and was very happy!

-JC in CA

Archived