$200 or $400 for Sign & Sail Card

susique333

My husband and I are using the same credit card for Sign & Sail. Will they charge only $200 for us or do BOTH of us have to add $200 EACH ($400)?

Ive heard both ways and am confused. THANKS!

.gif

If you are using a credit card, they will only charge the amount of purchases you make. The auto gratuities will be the first charge on the account, in the amount of $10 per person per day. Although it shows up on your account right away, it isn't actually CHARGED to the credit card until the last day of the cruise.

You only have to put down $200 per person if you are using CASH for your S&S account. The actual amount depends on the number of days of the cruise. Less on shorter cruises.

Hope that helps.

If you are using a credit card, they will only charge the amount of purchases you make. The auto gratuities will be the first charge on the account, in the amount of $10 per person per day. Although it shows up on your account right away, it isn't actually CHARGED to the credit card until the last day of the cruise.

You only have to put down $200 per person if you are using CASH for your S&S account. The actual amount depends on the number of days of the cruise. Less on shorter cruises.

Hope that helps.

I now understand if you pay CASH that is where the $200 applies. Thank you! We have $125 in On Board Credit so that will pretty much take care of gratituities!

Last year we funded with cash and prepaid our tips. Towards the end of the cruise we thought we'd go over our cash so we added our debit card as a cc. Even though we still had plenty of cash on there, they put a $100 hold on our debit card. In the end we went over our cash by $3 and they put another $10 hold to cover that. So we had a $100 hold, a $10 hold and a $3 charge. We were back home before the holds dropped off.

From now on it's cash only.

So if we show pre-paid gratuituies on our bill from Carnival and it's included in our total, is this the same as above where it's not charged until later? I'm pretty sure it's been pre-paid and I know my card has already been charged. I'm confused.

So if we show pre-paid gratuituies on our bill from Carnival and it's included in our total, is this the same as above where it's not charged until later? I'm pretty sure it's been pre-paid and I know my card has already been charged. I'm confused.

If you have already prepaid your gratuities, included in the total you paid for your cruise, then they will not be charged again. They will most likely show up on your S&S account and then there will be a reverse charge, just to show that they were paid, resulting in a zero balance on the S&S account. That's how it worked when I prepaid mine a couple of years ago.

Prepaid gratuities are different from auto-gratuities. The auto-gratuities are not paid before the cruise. Prepaid gratuities are paid before the cruise.

Any charges you make on your S&S account will be charged to your credit card the last day of your cruise. You can check the balance of your S&S account from your cabin on the interactive TV feature.

Your $10 pp per day charge will not appear until you are on the ship, or when you actually receive the bill. It should not already be on your credit card.

She was talking about prepaid gratuities, which do show up on your credit card before the cruise. Those are different from the auto-gratuities that are added to your S&S account once onboard the ship. :)

If you have already prepaid your gratuities, included in the total you paid for your cruise, then they will not be charged again. They will most likely show up on your S&S account and then there will be a reverse charge, just to show that they were paid, resulting in a zero balance on the S&S account. That's how it worked when I prepaid mine a couple of years ago.

Prepaid gratuities are different from auto-gratuities. The auto-gratuities are not paid before the cruise. Prepaid gratuities are paid before the cruise.

Any charges you make on your S&S account will be charged to your credit card the last day of your cruise. You can check the balance of your S&S account from your cabin on the interactive TV feature.

Im going to sound like a complete idiot but my daughter did all the arrangements for this cruise and we cant remember if we pre-paid the tips?!? Is there some way to find out now or do we just wait til we are on the ship?

If your gratuities were charged at time of booking (or final payment) they were already charged to your credit card at that time and are now "pre-paid gratuities". Same for any excursions you book on-line. Anything you charge once onboard will go on your onboard S&S Account and will be accumulated to be charged to your CC the last nite (or against your cash deposit if you deposit cash). ken

Im going to sound like a complete idiot but my daughter did all the arrangements for this cruise and we cant remember if we pre-paid the tips?!? Is there some way to find out now or do we just wait til we are on the ship?

Did she book through carnival or through a TA? If you booked through carnival do you have a carnival account set up online to do your fun pass etc? If so log into your account (or register for one) click on my cruise. A bunch of links will come up on the left side of the page. Choose the last link that says something like manage my booking. When you click it 2 more links will come up. Choose modify my booking. There you can see if tips were preaid or not (listed in the preferences box), what rate you paid for your room, dining time, any OBC etc.

Did she book through carnival or through a TA? If you booked through carnival do you have a carnival account set up online to do your fun pass etc? If so log into your account (or register for one) click on my cruise. A bunch of links will come up on the left side of the page. Choose the last link that says something like manage my booking. When you click it 2 more links will come up. Choose modify my booking. There you can see if tips were preaid or not (listed in the preferences box), what rate you paid for your room, dining time, any OBC etc.

We will try this! We went thru a TA. We have the FunPass thingy all done gonna go look! EDIT* since we went thru Travelocity, when I click on bookings it tells me to contact them. THANKS!

We will try this! We went thru a TA. We have the FunPass thingy all done gonna go look!

Since you went through a TA you won't be able to access the modify booking portion of the My cruise link online. You may be able to go into your fun pass, think it's around page 6 and get the info there, don't know if it's blocked too for TA users.

If they don't put holds on cc's why did they put a hold on ours when we already prepaid tips and had cash on our account?

So will we also be charged auto-gratuities once on board? Or do the pre-paid ones serve the same purpose, and it's just that you pay in advance instead?

Yes and no. It will appear that you've been charged for them, but immediately following it will appear a credit for them. It's just their way of making sure they've been paid, one way or another. So assuming it's two of you, you'll see a listing for Gratuities $140 and then immediately after it or close to it Gratuities ($140) or something similar, to denote that the money has been taken out of your account, but that your account was immediately credited back since you paid for them in advance. You won't be charged again. If for some strange reason you are, you'd just need to go to the pursers desk and sort it out, but I don't think you'll need to worry about it :) So yes, they serve the same purpose you just paid for them before getting on board :)

So will we also be charged auto-gratuities once on board? Or do the pre-paid ones serve the same purpose, and it's just that you pay in advance instead?

You are correct......the pre-paid gratuities serve the same purpose, but you have just paid them in advance.

No, you will not be charged auto-gratuities again once onboard.

If you did not prepay your tips, they will take out 10.00 a day for each person (did not take all of ours out at once, it was daily). The last few years we have always prepaid tips. If you put down cash there is no minimum (only a suggested amount), but be sure to cover your tips if you did not prepay. They will accept whatever amount you hand them.:eek: Last year one of my DD's only put 50.00 down originally (nothing said, tips prepaid).:)

Archived