Vancouver bike tour

Anyone have experience with a bike tour of Vancouver? I've seen one online but I'd love feedback. Alternative is to rent bikes and our family of 4 will tour the city by bike. Any suggestions or ideas appreciated!

Thanks!!

PD - Thanks for the kind words - haven't reply until now as I was out celebrating a volunteer reception - ie free booze and finger food for our recently elected Liberal MLA. Our speculation is which one of the three new female MLA's elected in Vancouver will get either a cabinet seat or a Minister of State position and given that Vancouver False Creek encompasses most of the financial district ie - seat of power for the province - she is considered a favorite.

Anyways enough of my political ramblings - time to move onto cruising around Vancouver on a bike

I too am not aware of any major outfits providing bike tours of the City and frankly if you can read a map or follow the green signs you can have a great cycling experience at your own leisurely or competitive pace.

There are now over 300 KMs or about 180 miles of designated bike routes in the City - some are traffic separated others are road shared.

The biggy is the Seaside Bike route which starts at Canada Place winds through Coal Harbour pass the Bayshore around Stanley Park to English Bay and then completely around False Creek to Granville Island and westward to the beaches and the University of BC.

Another nice one is to take the Cypress route to Midtown - this will give you views both to the north and the south - there is a climb but not that excessive - also passes through the original home of the uber riche - Shaughnessy - then follow Midtown (37th Ave) to Queen Elizabeth Park and then take the Ontario bike route back down to Science World and False Creek and through downtown to whatever was your starting point.

There are a number of bike rental places on Robson, Georgia at Denman - remember helmets are mandatory for everyone here in BC.

Here's a link to the City of Vancouver website bike route descriptions - there is also a downloadable PDF map there as well:

http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/transport/cycling/bikeways/routes/index.htm

Feel free to ask any questions - I bike commuted 4 days a week for approx 10 years and now in the golden years of my life enjoy getting out and around in the City that I was born and raised and have lived entirely in.

Cheers

Dennis

Responses from not one but TWO legends!! Thank you both!! I was really hoping for someone to tell me and the fam what the heck we're looking at. Maybe we'll bike one afternoon and take the hop off hop on bus the next!

Thanks again for the info and the link! I really enjoy reading all of your posts. Thanks for being so generous!!

That route from Canada Place/New Convention Centre around the seawall would allow you to experience Vancouver at it's best and it's almost level too.

Highly recommended. Roller blades work well also.

Dennis since recount we might have a new AG from out here too. :)

Thanks so much - that route sounds great. Do we need to make a booking for the bikes or just walk up? Any suggestions on rental places? We will need 4 bikes - not sure if that makes a difference.

Glad to know about the helmets. I won't work too hard on my hair that day! HA!!

There are at least four bike rental places basically right next door to each other at Robson and Denman so I doubt you will need to reserve any - they have lots of bikes - the other nice thing about rental there is you are two blocks away from the entrance to the Seawall and Stanley Park.

Will see if I can find some rental info for you.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I walk the seawall most everyday and try to do this earlier than later. Should you leave your bike tour through Stanley Park for the afternoon, you might encounter the most insane amount of people which could turn your wonderful plans into a frustrating dodge people game. English Bay on a bike could also be treacherous for those doing the route for the first time.

Keep your head up and stay off the walking trails.

All the best!

Mike

PG 2004, 2007

Good advice Mike - now if we could only get walkers to see those bike symbols that are painted on the bike path with a bicycle on it to walk where they should be it would be a lot safer for everyone.

Cheers

Dennis

contacted Spoke Rentals and no reservations necessary or accepted. As for the walkers in the bike path - I know what you mean!! I crossed a bike path in The Hague and almost got killed. Those are serious bikers!! Made me much more aware of bikers/walkers!!

Thanks everyone. We're 3.5 weeks away from Vancouver! We can't wait!!

Archived