Key West or Busch Gardens in Tampa?

F02

In November I will have the time to visit either Key West or Busch Gardens in Tampa but not both. Now I cannot make up my mind. Could you inform me what YOU would do and why? I know that that is a personal decision, so there is no need to repeat it. But if you provide information about pleasant memories of yours, I could compare them to what I believe I would appreciate. Thank you for your help.

How long will you be staying at either? If only the day, go to Bush. If a few days, I'd like KW because of Mallory square and the people.

KW is very much a party town. The snorkeling is just ok. But I love it because it is so off beat once us cruisers leave. :D It's a pretty city. We love Mel Fishers museum.

Bush is a fun place if you like theme parks. There are lots of great rides like sheikra. If you do the animal part, get there early so that the animals will be around and not sleeping. There's a pretty good bbq place inside the park. It's not like disney with hotels on site so you will have to travel 10-15 minutes to the park.

hope this helps a little.

Thank you Tom_n_Sara. Yes, that helps. I will have one day for the visit. I had not noticed the Mel Fishers museum in my previous research. That sounds interesting to me. But so do the animals at Busch Gardens. As I expect to get a chance to go to Key West sooner again, I will concentrate on a visit to Busch Gardens. Thank you again.

I'm thinking of the time factor,where are you coming from?I live in Tampa and key west is a all day drive from here.

I will have the extra time to drive. Miami will be the place to refer to. The ways I considered to drive, Tampa appears to be some 6 hours away compared to 4 hours for Key West. Thank you for reminding me that I should have provided that info.

• 1 month later...

Busch Gardens is great for roller coasters but not for shows and such. The animals are good too but it is not as good as animal kingdom for the atmosphere. It is quite a hike from Miami and traffic can be bad along the way. Key West I love for a relaxing weekend stay but for one day it is best for either watersports or pub hopping, it is definately a party place! My opinion.

Key West does not have traditional theme park thrill rides and roller coasters, etc. or any kind of zoo. (Some might consider the bars and saloons on Duval St on a busy night to be a special kind of zoo. :D)

The thrill rides at Key West would include the little red plane that takes you on rides over Key West. I have seen it doing scary dive bombing stunts, but have seen that happen only once. You can go parasailing or jey sky touring or kayak touring. That might provide thrills too. Even renting a motor scooter and riding through Key West's streets can be a real "thrill ride."

If you will be in Miami, the drive to Tampa up I-75 is long and not especially enjoyable, although you could cut over on I-275 and go over the scenic bridges to ST Petersburg and then across to Tampa. I find the scenic bridges along US Highway One to Key West just as thrilling.

One day in Key West isn't very much, but one day in Tampa isn't really very much either, especially considering the long drive north from Miami. For myself, I find small places such as Key West more relaxing than large urban areas such as the Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater area. I actually prefer Key West to Miami/Miami Beach also. Key West is "laid back," charming, and suits my personal tastes much more. The drive down is slower, less traffic, more gorgeous bridges over multi-shades of blue water, wonderful restaurants along the way. Who needs another busy interstate highway trip in their lives?

Oh, by that way...I just did that Tampa drive from SE Florida this past weekend. Don't want to repaet it soon. That's for sure.

Archived